PDA

View Full Version : Smart Meters

Pato
01-08-2014, 11:40 AM
We are about to have "Smart Meters" installed. There has been a lot written about the Pros & Cons of these gadgets.

I would be interested to hear if anyone has any adverse comments about them?. It appears to me that they mostly benefit the Power companies?.

pctek
01-08-2014, 12:18 PM
They measure real time and accurately.
There were a lot of bleats from some people whose old meter wasn't accurate.

We have one, I spend no amount of time thinking about it, power ranges from $100 to $150 a month.

Pato
01-08-2014, 12:30 PM
Must admit I never give our present meter any thought and just pay the account when it arrives.

psycik
01-08-2014, 12:56 PM
Pity our power companies have (as usual) gone and done this in the cheapest way possible, and not implemented the ones where there's a display inside of your current usage.

Most people, upon seeing that would almost gamify it and try to lower their usage.

tweak'e
01-08-2014, 02:19 PM
a few of the power co's do have a look up on their website, so you can check what your current usage is.

psycik
01-08-2014, 03:05 PM
a few of the power co's do have a look up on their website, so you can check what your current usage is.

again, the el cheapo method. I'd rather have a little LCD display in my house.

the_bogan
01-08-2014, 03:10 PM
again, the el cheapo method. I'd rather have a little LCD display in my house.

Aren't they on the meters themselves?

psycik
01-08-2014, 03:47 PM
Aren't they on the meters themselves?

They are...but there was an extra bit they could have bought, so that we could have the usage on a screen inside, ie on your kitchen bench.

If like my house, the meter was outside.

Pato
01-08-2014, 03:55 PM
a few of the power co's do have a look up on their website, so you can check what your current usage is.Contact Energy will apparently have this facility but it would be much more convenient to have a readout inside.

gary67
01-08-2014, 05:45 PM
Genesis have by the hour usage stats for customers on their website

FoxyMX
01-08-2014, 10:43 PM
Genesis have by the hour usage stats for customers on their website

Um, I am with Genesis and don't have that option. My meter must not be very smart. :rolleyes:

R2x1
01-08-2014, 10:59 PM
So called "smart meters" in NZ are only smart in comparison to power co directors (and trees). ;)

pctek
02-08-2014, 07:12 AM
Does it matter? We all know what items use the most power - electric heaters, dryers etc.
If the power bill is too high you stop using them.

gary67
02-08-2014, 09:31 AM
We use it to prove to the kids its them not us using it all

Greg
02-08-2014, 10:42 AM
I'm with Energy Online and since having the new meter installed my monthly bill has risen by 25%, so I'm a bit suspect how accurate these things are.

R2x1
02-08-2014, 11:51 AM
I'm with Energy Online and since having the new meter installed my monthly bill has risen by 25%, so I'm a bit suspect how accurate these things are.
Not only that, the weather has got colder too! ;)

Pato
02-08-2014, 11:57 AM
I'm with Energy Online and since having the new meter installed my monthly bill has risen by 25%, so I'm a bit suspect how accurate these things are.That is interesting.
The power company will probably say that your old meter was not reading accurately?. You have had high temperatures in Napier so they can't blame the weather.

R2x1
02-08-2014, 12:35 PM
How much has the price of electricity gone up? A month is a long time between power price rises. ;)

Billy T
06-08-2014, 04:01 PM
Time was when you could slow your meter down with a judiciously and inconspicuously placed ferrite or neodymium magnet, using the same principles as the meter system uses to record your usage, but alas these modern electronic meters are much harder to fudge. However, they still use the same basic current-load interface principles, so it probably won't be long before somebody has a flash of inspiration and cracks it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :xmouth:

Chilling_Silence
06-08-2014, 04:34 PM
Can't wait to start getting all that free electricity once somebody figures out an easy way to flash the firmware on it so it reports negligible amounts of power consumption every month :D

kenj
06-08-2014, 07:44 PM
The old fella next door and the bloke over the road are in dispute with Contact after disproportional increases of around 300 Kilowatt-hour increases the month aftrer installation. They both say that the hardest job is to get to talk to an intelligent being. Or, even an unintelligent being.

I am with Energy Online and have had no problem. Touch wood

Ken

tweak'e
06-08-2014, 09:41 PM
looks like i'm in for a smart meter, i just got the letter to say they are changing it soon.

Chilling_Silence
07-08-2014, 01:16 PM
Post pix when you can? I'm curious!

Pato
07-08-2014, 01:48 PM
looks like i'm in for a smart meter, i just got the letter to say they are changing it soon.Ours was installed on Monday. It will be interesting to see what our first account looks like.

Pato
07-08-2014, 01:54 PM
The old fella next door and the bloke over the road are in dispute with Contact after disproportional increases of around 300 Kilowatt-hour increases the month aftrer installation. They both say that the hardest job is to get to talk to an intelligent being. Or, even an unintelligent being.

I am with Energy Online and have had no problem. Touch wood

KenKen, are you trying to scare me?. We are with Contact and I know what you mean about trying to talk to someone when you have a query.

psycik
07-08-2014, 02:21 PM
Ours was installed on Monday. It will be interesting to see what our first account looks like.

I can't say I noticed much difference with ours when it was installed. Nothing that wasn't consistent with power rising anyway.

Its probably luck of the draw, dependent on how old your old meter was etc.

Pato
07-08-2014, 03:54 PM
I can't say I noticed much difference with ours when it was installed. Nothing that wasn't consistent with power rising anyway.

Its probably luck of the draw, dependent on how old your old meter was etc.Our meter is 10 years old and I don't expect any surprises, but who knows, time will tell.

kenj
07-08-2014, 05:50 PM

Its probably luck of the draw, dependent on how old your old meter was etc.

Not at all. The old boy is 85, a retired businessman and really foaming at the mouth about some companies business methods. He ended up with his daughter handling it as he was so disgusted that she thought he would fly off the handle and would end up disconnected.

The guy over the road is paying an monthly average of his previous years accounts just to keep up to date while Contact sort it out.

Ken

tweak'e
07-08-2014, 06:10 PM
Post pix when you can? I'm curious!

i might be able to take a pic of the one at work.
don't know what i'll get here as we have controlled hot water. i don't know if its two meters or not. time will tell.