PDA

View Full Version : Question for the musos

FoxyMX
31-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Hi all,

I have an unusual request that I hope someone will be able to help with. I would like to know if there is a program that can display a visualisation of the bass component only in music tracks. Foobar2000 is my music player of choice and that can display a spectrum visualisation but it would be much more helpful if I could see just the bass notes rather than the whole range.

Does anyone know of anything that can do this? I also should note that I only want it for a short time so it will have to be free or a trial version. An app for an iPod will also be welcome if anyone knows of one.

Thanks!

Terry Porritt
01-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Assuming your audio software has an equaliser, try turning down the amplitude of the frequencies above, say 200 Hz, or whatever you decide is bass and see what the waveform looks like.

(edit: I don't expect you would get a very sharp cut-off, it depends on the characteristics of the equaliser)

fred_fish
01-08-2014, 09:53 AM
Can it use winamp visualisations?
The plugin scripting was pretty complete and you could certainly do exactly that, in any sort of vis you want (if you wanted to learn how :D).

Maybe search for an existing one (and an old version of winamp to use it on).

kahawai chaser
01-08-2014, 09:52 PM
Can it use winamp visualisations?
The plugin scripting was pretty complete and you could certainly do exactly that, in any sort of vis you want (if you wanted to learn how :D).

Maybe search for an existing one (and an old version of winamp to use it on).

Agree. Search for vst plugins also for db poweramp.

Adobe Audition does spectral analysis, and can lasso, cut and paste (like Photoshop), from the different frequency colors. But may have plugin for frequency extraction. Has trial version.

FoxyMX
01-08-2014, 10:51 PM
Thanks everyone for the replies. Yes, Foobar does have a Winamp plugin but I have not had much success with installing it. I also tried another plugin that turned out to be useless but I will try the other options suggested. What has been successful, however, are "videos" with bass examples and "hearing tests" that I found on You Tube. I would prefer to view the bass visualisations on my own music, however, as I am curious as to what I am missing since I am aurally challenged.

kahawai chaser
02-08-2014, 01:54 AM
Adobe Audition also allows graphic filters at different octaves/bands, frequency selections, and phase analysis, which can be graphically displayed and saved as another file. Read their help files here (http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/filter-equalizer-effects.html#graphic_equalizer_effect) and here. (http://helpx.adobe.com/audition/using/analyzing-phase-frequency-amplitude.html) Though process times can take a bit of time. But each process can be saved and reapplied to another file if suitable. Example (http://www.dplay.com/tutorial/bands/) (article) of spectral charts for a range of frequencies and it's usefulness for different frequencies.

FoxyMX
03-08-2014, 06:35 PM
Thanks for that. Will have a fiddle when I get a chance.