PDA

View Full Version : Couple more Linux question

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 06:33 PM
I'm now running Mint 17 on my Netbook and it seems to like it.
Seems very much like windows, sort off.
I have two question, please. :help:
How do I find my printer, thats plugged into my desktop, presently running Windows Vista?
This brings me to my second question. How do I set up Mint as a dual boot system, with windows?

Thanks for you helps,
Ian

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 06:38 PM
Did you install the drivers for the printer? You can install windows if there's another partition on the hdd thats got linux on it. Or if there's another hdd somewhere. Just install it to the other hdd or partition

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 06:42 PM
Did you install the drivers for the printer? You can install windows if there's another partition on the hdd thats got linux on it. Or if there's another hdd somewhere. Just install it to the other hdd or partition

No, I not installed drivers, just tried to search, for it, but asks for the address.
Yes, I have two hard drives, on the desktop. @nd one is just for documents, at the moment.
So, if I put the Linux dvd in, with it ask about, dual boot?
Don't wana stuff anything up, wife would go made "(

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 06:45 PM
No you have to boot from the linux dvd then select where you want to install it. But whatever you install on it will probably get wiped. So, you'll have to copy whatever before you install linux on it first

This may help with the printer. I dont know. Never used Mint (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1200)

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 07:42 PM
No you have to boot from the linux dvd then select where you want to install it. But whatever you install on it will probably get wiped. So, you'll have to copy whatever before you install linux on it first

This may help with the printer. I dont know. Never used Mint (http://community.linuxmint.com/tutorial/view/1200)

Oh dear. I was rather hoping to setup, dual booting..

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 07:48 PM
Well you can dual boot but it has to be empty whatever you're installing it on. Otherwise it'll format what's on the hard drive now then install linux. Just dont install it where windows is installed (on the same partition, if the hard drive has been partitioned). It has to be on another partition, or another hard drive (if you've got more than 1). Or byebye windows

Nick G
31-07-2014, 08:06 PM
If you partition the hard drive, you can easily set up a dual boot.

I'd advise installing Windows first, then Linux Mint next.

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 09:42 PM
If you partition the hard drive, you can easily set up a dual boot.

I'd advise installing Windows first, then Linux Mint next.

Windows is already on C: drive. If I partition the D:, secondary drive and install linux there, will it setup dual boot automaticlly?

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 09:46 PM
Is D on the same hard drive as windows, or another separate hard drive?? If it's another hard drive, just install linux on it. Leave the windows hard drive connected, then it'll dual boot. Once linux has been installed.

Just make sure you install linux on the right hard drive !

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Is D on the same hard drive as windows, or another separate hard drive?? If it's another hard drive, just install linux on it. Leave the windows hard drive connected, then it'll dual boot. Once linux has been installed.

Just make sure you install linux on the right hard drive !

D:, as I said before, is used for our documents.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Right so its another hdd. Well yup if you want anything in documents, you better copy them to something else. You wont see it again after you install linux

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Right so its another hdd. Well yup if you want anything in documents, you better copy them to something else. You wont see it again after you install linux

What if I particion the drive, first?

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Well if its a separate hdd do it in setup when you go to install linux

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 09:57 PM
Well if its a separate hdd do it in setup when you go to install linux

Thanks, Speedy, I look at it on the morrow.

Good night :)

gary67
31-07-2014, 09:58 PM
Back in post one Ian said a netbook, what PC are you wanting to dual boot the desktop or the netbook?

Linux can install inside a folder on Windows and create the dual boot, can't remember what the exact name for it is any more been a few years since I last did that.

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 10:00 PM
I've yet to see a netbook with 2 hdd's Speedy. Back in post one Ian said a netbook.

Linux can install inside a folder on Windows and create the dual boot, can't remember what the exact name for it is any more been a few years since I last did that.

Sorry, what I meant is that I have Mint 17 running on a Netbook and like it.
So now thinking about installing on desktop.

Nick G
31-07-2014, 10:07 PM
Back in post one Ian said a netbook, what PC are you wanting to dual boot the desktop or the netbook?

Wubi, not the best way of getting Ubuntu on though.

Sorry, what I meant is that I have Mint 17 running on a Netbook and like it.
So now thinking about installing on desktop.

Whatever partition you install Linux Mint on will be wiped (the partition, not the whole drive). So if you wish to install it on your D drive, either remove any documents etc from D, or partition D so as to create a blank partition to install Mint on.

When installing, the 'something else' installation option is what you'll want :)

Are you creating a /home partition, or just a / partition?

gary67
31-07-2014, 10:15 PM
Wubi (that's the name) works well if you don't intend to remove the dual boot later, although it can be done

ianhnz
31-07-2014, 10:16 PM
Wubi, not the best way of getting Ubuntu on though.

Whatever partition you install Linux Mint on will be wiped (the partition, not the whole drive). So if you wish to install it on your D drive, either remove any documents etc from D, or partition D so as to create a blank partition to install Mint on.

When installing, the 'something else' installation option is what you'll want :)

Are you creating a /home partition, or just a / partition?

Not sure.
Over tied now, so must off to bed.
I'll look at it in the morning and report back...

johnd
31-07-2014, 10:42 PM
Why not consider installing VirtualBox and a virtual install of Linux - for most situations this does the job and is a lot less likely to cause any disaster!

afe66
31-07-2014, 10:51 PM
I might be getting confused but descriptions above seem too complicated for what was seemless setup.

I have a desktop which had window 7 installed on it.

Wanted to install Ubuntu 12.04 in dual boot setup. So I downloaded it made a live USB stick with ubuntu on it.

Rebooted pc with USB stick as primary drive, up popped ubuntu. Clicked on install, selected install in parallel to windows...

And that's it.

It created a partition of the size I wanted, installed ubuntu onto it.
On booting the pc, a flash screen asks which os to load and away you go.

Been running two os on one hard drive for last 2 years.

A.

johnd
31-07-2014, 10:58 PM
So you must have had spare space on the disk or made spare space? If you don' t have spare space then it does get a little bit more complicated.

Driftwood
31-07-2014, 10:59 PM
Yes it's not that hard if you already have windows installed.

http://hubpages.com/hub/How-To-Dual-Boot-Linux-Mint-13-Maya-and-Windows-7VistaXP

One of many such guides found on google.

wainuitech
31-07-2014, 11:30 PM
Why not consider installing VirtualBox and a virtual install of Linux - for most situations this does the job and is a lot less likely to cause any disaster! Thats a good suggestion :thumbs: Thats what I got here, takes a bit to stuff it up. The best part once you make the VM, you can take a copy of it, save it someplace, and at any time if it turns pear shaped you simply drop the copy back and away you go again.

In VirtualBox you have the options to make the VM's,as it says when creating - Make the drive dynamic - meaning only uses what it needs and grows as you use it.

This PC has Windows 8 as the main OS, with VM's of W7, XP , and Linux. Not a single duel boot in sight ;)

Chilling_Silence
01-08-2014, 11:23 AM
Woah yeah I'm with afe66, some 20+ replies and we're still no closer on what's a relatively simple procedure?

1) If you have a spare HDD, that's not being used, install Linux on to that. Let it fully wipe the disk.
2) If you don't, you'll need to live-boot into Mint (Or Ubuntu, or whatever) and shrink one of the partitions so there is "unpartitioned space". THEN, begin the install, and when prompted, select that free space to install to.

When installing, Linux will see you already have Windows installed and automatically setup the dual-boot.

The whole process should only take about 20 minutes, not including the repartitioning (Slow HDDs can take ages).

decibel
03-08-2014, 06:10 PM
I have just done last week what the OP wants - on a PC with Win7 on it, I booted off a Mint17 DVD and clicked the "install to HD" option.
It then asked me whether to keep Win7 or overwrite it - I choose to keep Win7 and Mint then setup a new partition (which I could choose the size of) and installed it all.

Now when I start up my PC I get a choice of Mint or Win7. - no problemo !

Chilling_Silence
04-08-2014, 02:49 PM
Sweeeeeet! :)