PDA

View Full Version : Battery saving on phones and tablets

John H
31-07-2014, 06:12 PM
Hi all.

I doubt this will be a surprise to most of you phone geeks, but it may help some ignoramuses like me:

http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-iphone-battery-die-so-fast-heres-the-real-fix/

And for people who use a phone or tablet with a sensible OS:

http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-android-battery-die-so-fast-best-phone-tablet-battery-life-saver-apps/

I believe that some phones use an OS from Microsoft, but who cares? (Sorry, I don't mean that).

I have tried some of the tricks, but will not know for a day or so how effective they are.

kahawai chaser
31-07-2014, 08:24 PM
I used easy battery saver and task killer for a while. Don't think I really saved power, because I tended to use more apps and browsing, maps, etc with the saver. Though had 4 modes for saving, one which you could get it to turn off WIFI/Bluetooth for a set time (night mode), set up polling net interval, etc, which perhaps saved a little. Could get it to go into low power mode at set battery percent.

But could not figure out why no updates/emails for a while as it had turned off sync. Note you can turn of app updates under settings for the play store app (usually defaults to WIFI auto update), and restrict background services for individual apps (press) listed under data usage in android settings. You may have to roll back the date range to display more apps used previously to restrict their services as well. Though don't know to what extent are the restrictions.

Chilling_Silence
31-07-2014, 08:53 PM
They don't. Android has absolutely fantastic memory management and the power savings are just fine. You should *only* use those apps to automatically turn WiFi / Bluetooth etc off, and never use it to close applications.

gary67
31-07-2014, 09:09 PM
The best power saving function is the off button, I mean why do you need your phone on when your asleep. I have always turned my phone off at night ever since I've owned one.

When I was a tradie my phone got turned off at lunchtime on Friday and not turned back on until Monday morning and I always had more work than I needed.

I really don't understand this concept of being permanently connected to the world, I like being disconnected each day for a while.

Webdevguy
31-07-2014, 10:17 PM
Hi all.

I doubt this will be a surprise to most of you phone geeks, but it may help some ignoramuses like me:

http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-iphone-battery-die-so-fast-heres-the-real-fix/

And for people who use a phone or tablet with a sensible OS:

http://www.payetteforward.com/why-does-my-android-battery-die-so-fast-best-phone-tablet-battery-life-saver-apps/

I believe that some phones use an OS from Microsoft, but who cares? (Sorry, I don't mean that).

I have tried some of the tricks, but will not know for a day or so how effective they are.

So what phone do you own?

FoxyMX
31-07-2014, 10:22 PM

Count me in as an ignoramus too, John. :blush:

Thanks heaps for posting these links as I have been grumbling no end about the poor battery life of my iPod and now I have, hopefully, discovered why. Have shared both links with family members as well as they are really good tips. :thumbs:

01-08-2014, 10:48 AM
I'm not an android wizkid but what works for me is ..
- turn off data , turn off wifi, turn off GPS . Thats all super easy with Samsung phones : no special app needed, its via a top screen swipe.
It will go into power save in 5 minutes . In powersave mode the batt lasts for days.

Chilling_Silence
01-08-2014, 11:30 AM
The best power saving function is the off button, I mean why do you need your phone on when your asleep. I have always turned my phone off at night ever since I've owned one.

When I was a tradie my phone got turned off at lunchtime on Friday and not turned back on until Monday morning and I always had more work than I needed.

I really don't understand this concept of being permanently connected to the world, I like being disconnected each day for a while.

Coz some of us like to be available for family, if they get into sticky situations. Younger brother, 15, had his first job working in a cinema in Auckland CBD, missed the last bus (They didn't take him seriously, small kid trying to hail a bus, happens all the time where the driver thinks you're just being silly) and was stuck in town at 11PM at night. Scrawny little kid alone in the big smoke late at night, no money, panicing... Rings mum, her phone is off. Rings dad, his phone is off. Rings home phone, nobody answers. Rings me, no worries I'll come pick you up in 10 minutes.
Things like that happen, and while that doesn't appeal to everybody, I like to be available to help people.

Same deal for jobs. I don't get out of bed for a couple of bucks, but if a server is on fire or the sky is falling, I'm gonna get paid a few hundred bucks to wake up and do 10 minutes work, so why not keep my phone on? :D

Finally, games, I like to play Ingress, and if the enemy team happens to try and setup something in my local area, I've done more than a few midnight runs to clear it.

Some people like to be disconnected, all power to ya, but not all of us do.

John H
01-08-2014, 12:26 PM
I should have been clearer with my original post. I am not concerned about the battery life in my phone - Huawei Y360. I really only use it for txts with my daughters and for emergency phone calls. All other phone stuff happens on our landline. The cell phone is useful to keep in touch with family when we are away in the campervan, but again that is only for txts and availability for emergencies. There have never been any emergencies, so that has never used any cellphone power. I have never worked out why anyone would want to play games, surf the interweb, or engage with (anti)social media on a stupid cell phone, but that is just me. I am an old fart, and my family don't go in for any tricky situations that can't be handled through txt if I am away from home. If my kids get drunk, they handle it without any intervention from me.

My concern has been the battery usage on my tablet - first generation Nexus 7, made by ASUS and ruined by Google. I have had mine since they first arrived in NZ, so I guess it is possible that the battery is showing signs of wear. However, it could also be that it is the junk I have installed, second only to the crap installed by Google, that is using the power. Secondly it could be the way I am using the tablet; ebook reader, email from time to time, newsreading (The Listener, NZ Herald, Stuff, The ChCh Press, and a non-Rupert Murdoch newspaper from Britain), web, and way too many downloaded videos).

However, I have followed many of the recommendations in the article related to Android. Secondly, following that article led to me getting to understand my tablet better, so I have done some other things not mentioned in the article:
1. I have got rid of any apps that I have not used in living memory. Some were running in the background even though they were not being used.
2. I have got rid of most adware, because they were "phoning home" for ads, and also blinking and flashing away. Presumably this all took battery power.
3. I have recently been on a mission to get rid of (or not updating) any apps that have a formidable list of permissions, including wanting my inside leg measurement. One app that fits all three of the above criteria was Skype (bye bye Skype). The latest update wanted a pile of additional permissions, so I hadn't installed it. I finally got rid of the whole thing because of 1, 2, & 3. We use Skype on the home laptop instead.
4. I have gone through all of the installed apps, and any that did not survive 1, 2, or 3 got Force Stopped and Disabled if I couldn't uninstall them. I didn't realise how many apps simmer away in the background even though they are unused and unwanted. I learned how much crap was installed by Google that cannot be uninstalled, so most of them are now stopped and disabled. Contrary to the warnings, and consistent with the article, I have not experienced any problems as a result of this process.

BTW, I have not installed any of the utilities recommended in the article - they didn't survive 1, 2, or 3... And no, I am not prepared to root my tablet to get rid of all the Google garbage.

I hope the articles help some people who are in a similar dumkopf category to me. Even if they haven't led to any longer battery life for me, at least I understand more about my tablet!

Chilling_Silence
01-08-2014, 03:46 PM
So for your Cellphone, turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, and mobile-data. Sorted, it'll now last a lot longer, no need to install anything.
DONT manually kill the apps yourself, or have another application try and do it, it's pointless and usually ends up burning more battery life by doing-so.

For the tablet, Google includes very little aside from its own core services such as Mapping, Gmail etc, so I dunno what this nonsense is about Google bloatware / junk? Perhaps you've not seen a Samsung phone lately for comparison?

Agent_24
01-08-2014, 04:01 PM

This.

kahawai chaser
01-08-2014, 04:27 PM
Coz some of us like to be available for family, if they get into sticky situations. Younger brother, 15, had his first job working in a cinema in Auckland CBD, missed the last bus (They didn't take him seriously, small kid trying to hail a bus, happens all the time where the driver thinks you're just being silly) and was stuck in town at 11PM at night. Scrawny little kid alone in the big smoke late at night, no money, panicing... Rings mum, her phone is off. Rings dad, his phone is off. Rings home phone, nobody answers. Rings me, no worries I'll come pick you up in 10 minutes.
Things like that happen, and while that doesn't appeal to everybody, I like to be available to help people.

Same deal for jobs. I don't get out of bed for a couple of bucks, but if a server is on fire or the sky is falling, I'm gonna get paid a few hundred bucks to wake up and do 10 minutes work, so why not keep my phone on? :D

Finally, games, I like to play Ingress, and if the enemy team happens to try and setup something in my local area, I've done more than a few midnight runs to clear it.

Some people like to be disconnected, all power to ya, but not all of us do.

Totally agree.

Nice thought to help people by leaving phone on - what I do too. Few times I had to pick up son or nephew in the early hours from work. And an elderly Auntie of mine I have told her to ring me anytime if needs medical help.

Also, I have had early morning notifications, e.g. from trademe for saved searches for buy now auctions which I will wake up and buy straight away.

John H
01-08-2014, 06:22 PM
So for your Cellphone, turn off WiFi, Bluetooth, and mobile-data. Sorted, it'll now last a lot longer, no need to install anything.
DONT manually kill the apps yourself, or have another application try and do it, it's pointless and usually ends up burning more battery life by doing-so.

For the tablet, Google includes very little aside from its own core services such as Mapping, Gmail etc, so I dunno what this nonsense is about Google bloatware / junk? Perhaps you've not seen a Samsung phone lately for comparison?

First, see my second post. I didn't have any problems with my phone and still don't. I had all those things turned off already, and haven't installed anything because battery life was and is fine. My phone has an auto on/off function so it automatically turns itself off at night and on in the morning at times that suit me. I have not turned off any apps on the phone, only on the tablet. So I don't need your advice on that, and nowhere asked for it.

Regarding the tablet, I don't need you to provide insulting comments, calling my views nonsense. You might have a different view on the Google apps that to me are junk, but I don't need them or your gratuitous judgements. Google junk to me = Chrome, Currents, Hangouts, Play Books, Play Games, Play Movies & TV, Play Music, Quick Office, Drive, Keep. I can't swear that all of these are Google apps (I know that many of them are). I cannot remove them from the device even though I neither want nor need them, and they take up a large amount of wasted space. I have force stopped and disabled whatever I can, and there have been no problems (which is consistent with the views of the author of the article).

kahawai chaser
01-08-2014, 09:37 PM
Maybe I should remove the many free apps that I have, which still get updated. Don't really need them. Keep the reading type apps, Stuff NZ, Lifehacker, Tech Crunch, Talk Android, etc. But my phone screen will look empty. Sadly I have the need to read even when shopping.

Google Giveth and then Taketh. Term I see a bit in online marketing. Using their free products/services (Search, Android, Maps, etc) often means their other products, some perhaps unneeded are a giveth. To be part of their ecosystem. Then they can shut them down (iGoogle, Google Reader, Keyword Tool, Author Icons, etc). Don't think with Android. However they are reportedly mandating their manufacturer's to prominently display android (http://www.androidauthority.com/google-branding-android-362228/) on their devices.

Chilling_Silence
02-08-2014, 05:24 PM
They're still taking space, regardless of if you "disable" them, and those apps won't run unless you sign into them and "use" them.

Also, *everything* comes with a basic note-keeper, music player, document reader. Everything from the iPhone to Android to Windows...

John H
02-08-2014, 05:29 PM
The ones I have disabled have completely disappeared from anywhere visible on the tablet. They show up on the Google website where they are listed as apps that I have previously installed, so I would be able to reinstall should I have a brainfade. In the process of disabling them I have incidentally recovered a shed load of memory, not that this was my goal.

dugimodo
02-08-2014, 07:30 PM
I have an original nexus 7 also and I find it quite good on battery life. It sounds to me that you use yours a lot more than I do though. I agree with you about some of the google apps, I'd like the option to remove whatever I personally don't use also. I wouldn't include chrome in the list though, while you may prefer a different browser all tablets come with at least one and of course google would include their own one rather than someone elses.

Anyway I read the story in the link and didn't really learn anything except for how bad the facebook app is, promptly removed it and seem to have improved my battery life. Thanks for that. The main culprit on most tablets is obviously the screen. Dialling it back to whatever level you find comfortable can make a significant difference. I just picked up mine and looked at the batt page on the settings and it's currently at 62% after 1 day 18h on battery - 61% of the power used by the screen which I keep set to roughly 3 quarter brightness.

I do occasionally do some reading on my tablet and it lasts several hours but if you read books on your tablet often I totally recommend a kindle or other E ink reader over it. I have both and the kindle is far better for reading - smaller, lighter, easier on the eyes, and battery life measured in days or even weeks as opposed to hours on the tablet.

kenj
02-08-2014, 07:57 PM
My new Sony M2 has a Stamina mode which, when the screen is off, wifi and mobile data is temporarily disabled and most applications are inactive. Can still recieve txts, calls, calendar notifications, radio, music player and alarm signals.

Phone saying 54% charge, showing 7 hrs life with10 hrs in standby. Put it into Stamina mode and get 1 day 19hrs or 2 days 2hrs in Standby

I run it in Stamina mode all the time :) blardy great for my use!!

Ken

kahawai chaser
03-08-2014, 11:03 AM
My new Sony M2 has a Stamina mode which, when the screen is off, wifi and mobile data is temporarily disabled and most applications are inactive. Can still recieve txts, calls, calendar notifications, radio, music player and alarm signals.

Phone saying 54% charge, showing 7 hrs life with10 hrs in standby. Put it into Stamina mode and get 1 day 19hrs or 2 days 2hrs in Standby

I run it in Stamina mode all the time :) blardy great for my use!!

Ken

Stamina mode? Sound pretty good. Maybe a app with battery savings should be pre-installed on smartphones. Though I think the Android L version (http://goo.gl/ryTFDJ) (PC UK review) supposed to have very good battery life.