PDA

View Full Version : Slow win 8 updates

linw
29-07-2014, 03:09 PM
Got a brand new win 8 (yes, win8 not 8.1), quad core laptop with 4GB RAM. Having real problems updating it. Took ages to find 100 updates needed then showed no progress loading them.

Restarted it and it wanted to install 78 updates. Each effing update is taking 4 to 5 min!!!!!!!! 5 x 78 =390mim = 6.5 hours!!!!!!

What the hell could it possibly be doing??

stevenvanduyn
29-07-2014, 03:15 PM
Got a brand new win 8 (yes, win8 not 8.1), quad core laptop with 4GB RAM. Having real problems updating it. Took ages to find 100 updates needed then showed no progress loading them.

Restarted it and it wanted to install 78 updates. Each effing update is taking 4 to 5 min!!!!!!!! 5 x 78 =390mim = 6.5 hours!!!!!!

What the hell could it possibly be doing??

I have the same thing as i had to reboot my computer again
And i have more downloads to come
It takes time but the new updates makes windows 8 far better to use
be patient

tweak'e
29-07-2014, 03:17 PM
what sort of download speed to you have?
a lot of them are big updates.

linw
29-07-2014, 04:06 PM
30/10 UFB.

It is in the 'installing update' phase so the downloads for the first 78 should be on the disk I'd have thought. Up to 22 now.

But, wait, there will be dozens more after this tranche, then 3GB of 8.1, then how many tens of 8.1 updates, then the 8.1 update then .......

Just as well it is a 'new' computer!

BTW, this is not my computer - I am just the 'lucky' one getting it ready for its owner.

I have seen umpteen computer update phases, and know how long these take, but I have never seen anything like this slow speed per update, especially on a quad core device.

Might be ready by Friday!!!!

wainuitech
29-07-2014, 04:09 PM
You'll find the .netframework always take a while.

then how many tens of 8.1 updates, You'll find there wont be many , as they will have come through with the upgrade to 8.1.

Last one I did there were bugger all afterwards. That was until I installed office ----- then there were quite a few office updates.

Might be ready by Friday!!!! Which Friday ? :p

Couldn't resist that :D

linw
29-07-2014, 05:03 PM
That's OK, WT!! I had my doubts as well.

I did notice a lot of .net updates in the original list.

Luckily, this one won't have Office. I have already installed Kingsoft. I think you mentioned this one a while ago? This is a darn nice suite. Recommend it to anyone looking for a free Office-like suite.

It's up to update 45!!!

stevenvanduyn
29-07-2014, 07:41 PM
That's OK, WT!! I had my doubts as well.

I did notice a lot of .net updates in the original list.

Luckily, this one won't have Office. I have already installed Kingsoft. I think you mentioned this one a while ago? This is a darn nice suite. Recommend it to anyone looking for a free Office-like suite.

It's up to update 45!!!

some of the updates didnt update and have to wait again later. i have the same problem but no need to rush these things
Also i use Kingsoft office suite ( highly recommend it)

linw
29-07-2014, 08:24 PM
Well, I was right to worry about the slow updates. It did finish then went into the configuration phase which, again, was VERY slow. Got to about 15% then decided it wasn't going to work so is now reverting to the original.

So, after 5.5 hours, it is still not back to the starting stage.

No idea what the hell is wrong. Brand new out of box. If Windows can't update this machine, how on earth am I going to do better?

Really don't know where to go from here, but, IF it gets back to the starting config, I will run some tests to see whether it is performing OK as it looks like it is full of molasses ATM.

linw
29-07-2014, 09:28 PM
Thought I would revert to factory settings as nothing was happening except spinning circle of dots. Supposed to get to config screen with F9 as it boots - wrong. Just ignores F9.

Now it is back to reverting changes. Bahhh. This thing is beyond a joke.

Might see if it will revert completely by leaving it overnight, but I should be able to factory reset it.

Might try smashing it on the floor!!

linw
29-07-2014, 09:37 PM
Found you have to be on the F9 key real early and you have to hold it down till the menu screen is up. Resetting it now. Will try updating a few updates at a time. Ho hum.

wainuitech
29-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Might pay to leave it till tomorrow. I think there's some sort of delay from certain places.

Was downloading some drivers today, only 87MB from USA (gigabyte) est time 16 Minutes ( and it would have been) - :yuck: serious ?? Changed locations to Asia and came through real quick.

Earlier tonight several sites in the US are either slow as, or wont load at all. Sons games he normally plays on have been slow this evening.

Even had changed the DNS servers last week to googles, and then it was a lot better.

Will try updating a few updates at a time. Ho hum Most of those updates do need reboots ( even if they say they dont) in fact several times updates will come through,and the remainder wont install till a reboot is done. Not uncommon to reboot manually 4-5 times before putting in the 8.1 upgrade.

linw
30-07-2014, 10:55 AM
That's interesting re slow downloads. Still working on last night's downloads this morning.

Had another go last night and it got to 98% at the last stage of windows config. THEN it said couldn't do it - revert. Being 11:30 pm went to bed and left it, swearing quite loudly.

This morning, it had reverted successfully (wow!) and it had installed 6 updates and failed the rest. Clicked on the 'Update' troubleshooter and it said it fixed an update component.

Set it to update the 35 left and it looks much more normal. The display is showing the fuel gauge, as expected, and the number of updates done. Still has 9 to go so hope it has sorted itself out.

Update:- it was still darned slow but it did update successfully.
Doing another 59 as we speak but at the right speed! Thank goodness for that. So, maybe out of the woods with this dog. But still got the 8.1 biggie!!

Mysterious what on earth was going on earlier. My time budget for this one is SERIOUSLY over. No idea how the unsuspecting customers were expected to go from 8 to 8.1 update.

wainuitech
30-07-2014, 11:24 AM
Clicked on the 'Update' troubleshooter and it said it fixed an update component. Could simply be a bad image from the factory. Had that a couple of times with HP Envys, damn things simply wouldn't update or install 8.1. Even running a full factory recovery - no good if the original image is flaky.

30-07-2014, 12:39 PM
Could simply be a bad image from the factory. Had that a couple of times with HP Envys, damn things simply wouldn't update or install 8.1. Even running a full factory recovery - no good if the original image is flaky.

If the HP OEM install had a non standard bootloader or non standard partition layout , for a HP recovery partition, would that screw things up upgrading from 8 to 8.1 ??

wainuitech
30-07-2014, 01:33 PM
If the HP OEM install had a non standard bootloader or non standard partition layout , for a HP recovery partition, would that screw things up upgrading from 8 to 8.1 ?? Guess its possible, who knows with HP :)

If you have a look at the partitions in HP laptops, they can have 5-6 different partitions, remove any one of them and you're in trouble. (unless doing a complete wipe and installing from fresh or replacing the HDD) Even when cloning /imaging a HP drive it often wont work when putting back.

linw
30-07-2014, 03:16 PM
The 8 to 8.1 is not a good path, 1101!! Everything seems to be on the 'suck it and see' principle.

WT, you were right about not having much to do after the 8.1 went on. Suppose the image gets updated by MS to keep it current.

Really glad to be through the rapids and back into calm water! My download allowance has taken a big hit (about 7-8 GBs), though.

30-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Guess its possible, who knows with HP :)

If you have a look at the partitions in HP laptops, they can have 5-6 different partitions, remove any one of them and you're in trouble. (unless doing a complete wipe and installing from fresh or replacing the HDD) Even when cloning /imaging a HP drive it often wont work when putting back.

Yep, thats why I have an arsenal of 5 different cloning programs, sometimes takes 5 attempts to find one that can cope :-)
Remember back when HP starting using bitshift instead of LBA HD translation as default. That used to cause more than a few headaches cloning HD's