PDA

View Full Version : Tracing email and or "contact us" on website page. Help appreciated.

SP8's
29-07-2014, 03:01 PM
Hi all

I belong to a club that has a "less than competent" guy building us a website and we're (committee) a bit concerned as to where the information is going from the "contact us" page. There is a link to the national organisation, however, this particular person has also told us he has put a link into the page which goes to another address, possibly his own private one.

He's also put down other members phone, physical and email addresses as first contacts to the club. Being a shooting club, we certainly don't want to advertise the fact who and/or where any firearms are likely to be.

We know one "contact us" goes directly to the official governing body ... it's this other "contact us" link that we haven't any idea where it's going.

Ask the guy building the website you say ... he's been building it for three years and has about as much technical knowledge as a escargot.

I know there's a way of tracing where emails go, but not sure how, or if, I can trace the other one.

Thanks in advance for anyone who can help me on this.

SP8's

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2014, 04:27 PM
If they're doing it using mailto: then sure
If not, then nope, it can be 100% hidden from the front-user and you'd need to be given access to look at the source files (Not juts right-clicking and going View-source).

SP8's
29-07-2014, 05:37 PM
Thanks Chill ... I'll have to get the "web administrator" to let me in to see what's going on. I should video him trying to explain the intricacies of the interwebthingy to the committee of the club involved. It would give all of you a bloody good laugh on a Friday afternoon !!

29-07-2014, 05:39 PM
He's also put down other members phone, physical and email addresses as first contacts to the club. Being a shooting club, we certainly don't want to advertise the fact who and/or where any firearms are likely to be.

My opinion...
shut down that website now, take it offline . Then looking at fixing it.
There are also bound to be privacy issues (ie legal issues) involved in putting personal contact info on a website

Lurking
29-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Your club licensed with NZ Police ?. Their firearms officer should be able to put you right on the requirements necessary.

Mind you firearms don't need to be registered, just us owners', how stupid is that !!!.

Lurking.

bevy121
30-07-2014, 01:43 AM
He certainly doesn't have much in the way of "designing" skills I see lol

http://www.solutionsforlearning.co.nz/solutions.html

virtually same boring template layout, different words and images :)

I'm not sure what you mean by one "contact us" going the correct destination, and "this other contact us link".

The only thing I can see is a "Website by S**** C******" at the bottom, which is a "mailto" link to his Hotmail address

And the email info for the club at the top is just text with the clubs xtra email address - not a "mailto" link

If there's anything more you want to know, just let me know - I'm in Dunedin too (and I enjoy a challenge lol)