PDA

View Full Version : UPS



lakewoodlady
28-07-2014, 09:48 PM
I have this UPS which I am going to be giving to my nephew who is an auto sparkie in New Plymouth, he also builds computer systems. Trouble is I won't be able to get it to him till about September.
Can anyone please tell me what I am supposed to do with it in the meantime.
Do I plug it in to keep it charged? Also, there is a power button on it, do I turn it on if I plug it in, or not?

LL

wainuitech
28-07-2014, 09:56 PM
Any UPS that is not used should be turned off completely . Most, you press the power button and some you have to hold it in and you should hear something like a click as it turns off.

If its not turned off and not plugged into the mains, it will run off the battery till it runs it completely flat as its beeping, because as far as the UPS will know, there is a power cut and runs from its battery.

When we have a power cut we have 7 of the buggers going off -- Beeeeep - Beeeeeep- Beeeeeep all at once ( sounds like a truck backing x7), you know theres a power problem :)

Note: if its not plugged in and already silent then it may already be off or flat.

lakewoodlady
28-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Ok, many thanks will check power button, and for beeping!

LL

lakewoodlady
28-07-2014, 10:22 PM
Right, I plugged it in and turned it on at the wall. Nothing happened, so I held the Power button in for a couple of secs, then it beeped. A light by the Power button came on , is that normal, and should I just now leave it on all the time and plugged in, till I take it to my nephew?

LL

Terry Porritt
28-07-2014, 10:44 PM
The manual for my Dynamix says disconnect the power during extended storage to avoid overcharging the batteries.
It also says to charge the batteries every 3 months during extended storage.

lakewoodlady
28-07-2014, 10:48 PM
hmmm..... As I have no idea how long it has been switched off and do not have a manual for it, that makes it a bit hard to know. Is it just safer to leave it not switched on and not plugged in to the mains?

wainuitech
28-07-2014, 10:57 PM
hmmm..... As I have no idea how long it has been switched off and do not have a manual for it, that makes it a bit hard to know. Is it just safer to leave it not switched on and not plugged in to the mains? If its on, and not plugged into the mains it will think there is a power cut ( because there's no power going to it) and run off the battery till its goes flat. If its not on and not plugged in no big deal.


How those UPS's work is they run from the mains all the time , when it detects a power cut, Brownout ( power drop) or some other sort of power feed problem they switch over to the battery untill the power comes right again, or the battery goes flat ( extended outage) Beeping all the time ( different UPS's beep differently as a warning they are on battery)

What wont hurt -- leave it on for 24 hours (plugged into the mains) let the battery charge up, then turn it off.

lakewoodlady
28-07-2014, 11:06 PM
If its on, and not plugged into the mains it will think there is a power cut ( because there's no power going to it) and run off the battery till its goes flat. If its not on and not plugged in no big deal.


How those UPS's work is they run from the mains all the time , when it detects a power cut, Brownout ( power drop) or some other sort of power feed problem they switch over to the battery untill the power comes right again, or the battery goes flat ( extended outage) Beeping all the time ( different UPS's beep differently as a warning they are on battery)

What wont hurt -- leave it on for 24 hours (plugged into the mains) let the battery charge up, then turn it off.

Ah, thank you wainuitech, Will do that.

LL

dugimodo
28-07-2014, 11:33 PM
The reason they say to charge it up every 3 months is because lead acid batteries sulfate if left uncharged in storage for too long which reduces their capacity and shortens their life. I would follow what Terry's UPS manual says in the absence of one for yours.

Billy T
29-07-2014, 12:16 AM
How those UPS's work is they run from the mains all the time , when it detects a power cut, Brownout ( power drop) or some other sort of power feed problem they switch over to the battery until the power comes right again, or the battery goes flat ( extended outage) Beeping all the time ( different UPS's beep differently as a warning they are on battery)

Strictly speaking that description only applies for full-time on-line sinewave UPS systems in which the inverter runs constantly and rectified mains supply drives the battery charger and simultaneously powers a sinewave inverter.

All others operate on one form or another of mains bypass, usually a relay, while the battery sits on a float charge and the inverter is not operational. When mains power is lost the inverter starts up and simultaneously the output is switched to the computer. The inverter is specced to run for no more than the length of time it takes for the computer to be shut down, whether manually or via software, and this is not much longer then 3-4 minutes. If it runs for any greater duration it will either overheat and die, or stop when the battery voltage drops too low to sustain the output voltage.

You should plug it in and turn on the power for a few hours every couple of weeks to keep the battery charged. If it is more than 3-4 years old the battery will be past its prime and will soon need replacement. If you want to check its runtime, plug a standard lamp or similar with a 100W bulb into it, then switch off or unplug the mains power to the UPS. If the battery is OK the inverter will power the lamp for 3-5 minutes. If it lasts less than 2 minutes the battery is getting tired.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

lakewoodlady
29-07-2014, 10:56 AM
Thanks for that Billy T. It will be off my hands so to speak, in a couple of weeks, then it's up to my nephew to do what he wants with it. I have no use for it, I'll just leave it plugged in till this afternoon and then switch it all off till I get it to him.

Appreciate all the usual great advice!

Cheers, LL. :-)

wainuitech
29-07-2014, 12:35 PM
The inverter is specced to run for no more than the length of time it takes for the computer to be shut down, whether manually or via software, and this is not much longer then 3-4 minutes. If it runs for any greater duration it will either overheat and die, or stop when the battery voltage drops too low to sustain the output voltage. Had one of mine in the workshop run for just under 15 minutes with no power a while back was half way through doing an upgrade / install, and the guys out front who were replacing a power pole, cut the power to the house unknowingly :mad: the UPS was beeping like mad, thought what the hell let it run and hopefully the battery will last -- it did, then the power came back :)

lakewoodlady
29-07-2014, 08:58 PM
Well that was just good!