PDA

View Full Version : Can I delete hiberfil?

BBCmicro
28-07-2014, 03:56 PM
I've run out of C: space and I intend to get a bigger SSD. In the meantime is it OK to delete hiberfil.sys? to keep me going.

I keep getting 'disc nearly full' or 'not enough memory to complete this action'.

I thought hiberfil was something to do with shutting the lid on a laptop without closing down? I am using a desktop and I always shut down properly. (Win7pro64)

Here's a breakdown of my C:

Nominal: 120 GB
Units conversion: -9
Pagefile: -8
Hiberfil: -6
Windows: -27
Prog files: -15
Prog data: -1
Users: -52
------
Total: -118

Speedy Gonzales
28-07-2014, 03:58 PM
If you dont use hibernation disable it. Then delete it (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/15140/what-is-hiberfil.sys-and-how-do-i-delete-it/)

BBCmicro
28-07-2014, 04:08 PM
Done

Thanks Speedy

dugimodo
28-07-2014, 04:11 PM
Also if you have another drive you can move the pagefile onto it to free up space on C: and run CCleaner to clear out all the temp files and delete all but the most recent restore point. Doesn't hurt to go through the add remove programs list and uninstall anything you don't use any more as well.

When I had a 120G SSD myself I installed all my games on another drive and managed to keep windows under 70G quite easily. I only upgraded because I wanted to install some of my games on it as well. Considering a 750GB Samsung at the moment :)

inphinity
28-07-2014, 08:54 PM
When I had a 120G SSD myself I installed all my games on another drive and managed to keep windows under 70G quite easily. I only upgraded because I wanted to install some of my games on it as well. Considering a 750GB Samsung at the moment :)

I suspect you didn't have 52GB in Users, though.

dugimodo
28-07-2014, 10:38 PM
True, just checked on this PC with it's 256GB drive which is about 75% full and my users dir is only 21.7 GB. Seems like there might be a lot of user files that could be stored somewhere else.

Chilling_Silence
29-07-2014, 08:57 AM
Seems kinda pointless, the stuff in your User directory is going to be image, photos, downloads, stuff that doesn't need insanely fast access to it. If you have that on a HDD, and things like your games on your SSD, your games will load significantly faster!

I had LOTRO (25-odd GB?), DotA2 (10G), Team Fotress 2 (10G), my normal programs, all on my 128GB SSD, still room to spare :)

Moving the pagefile to a secondary HDD is well worth it though, and I turn off System Restore too.

BBCmicro
29-07-2014, 02:03 PM
You guys discussing the size of the Users folder made me wonder why mine was so big.

I did some digging and found 30GB in my Roaming folder. (Adobe/Common) The files were type MPGINDEX, probably the indexing of frames in mpg video editing.

I don't know why Adobe would leave them there because I never save video projects - just exit without saving

So I now have another 30 GB. :thanks

Part of the reason this has come about is that Win7 is so stable I haven't needed to reinstall for about 2 years. Also, in the past I used to have 2 TB as my C: