PDA

View Full Version : Great hint for folder navigation in W7 and 8

Digby
28-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Hi Guys

I use folders and files a lot and I found a great time saver I thought I would share.

Of course many of you may already know about it.

In the windows explorer screen you can add folders you use a lot to the list in the Navigation pane on the left of the screen.

You have to open the folder you want to add and then click on the Favorites Menu on the left and then click on "Add Location" (I think from memory)

It is not easy to do (it took me a couple of goes) but once you have your commonly used folders in the list its great. (you can ever change their icons)

I think this is available in Windows 7 and 8 etc..

Another reason to upgrade from XP.

kahawai chaser
28-07-2014, 01:45 PM
Thanks. Will try it. You remind me of folder organizers I use to use a while back. One was called Folder Box, and other you could have a four pane view (I think). Get multi views of folders and swap them about.

wainuitech
28-07-2014, 01:53 PM
Hi Guys

I use folders and files a lot and I found a great time saver I thought I would share.

Of course many of you may already know about it.

In the windows explorer screen you can add folders you use a lot to the list in the Navigation pane on the left of the screen.

You have to open the folder you want to add and then click on the Favorites Menu on the left and then click on "Add Location" (I think from memory)
It is not easy to do (it took me a couple of goes) but once you have your commonly used folders in the list its great. (you can ever change their icons)

I think this is available in Windows 7 and 8 etc..

Another reason to upgrade from XP.

Just a slight alteration to the line highlighted, its RIGHT click Favourites, then select add current location :)

the_bogan
28-07-2014, 02:28 PM
I use a similar method, drag the folder to the favourites section on the left.

Jen
28-07-2014, 10:45 PM
Thanks for the tip. :)

Bobh
29-07-2014, 09:51 AM
Thanks a hidden gem.

dugimodo
29-07-2014, 11:01 AM
It got mentioned in another thread as well. All these years and I never paid any attention to the side bar on explorer, I just know where all my folders are. I've added a few to the favourites now though thanks.

Had a play with the Tabs at the top of explorer while I was at it, a lot of useful functions there too that I always access through other means. Format, disk clean-up, control panel, add remove programs, and more - all up in those tabs I never click on :)

kahawai chaser
29-07-2014, 11:51 AM
It got mentioned in another thread as well. All these years and I never paid any attention to the side bar on explorer, I just know where all my folders are. I've added a few to the favourites now though thanks.

Had a play with the Tabs at the top of explorer while I was at it, a lot of useful functions there too that I always access through other means. Format, disk clean-up, control panel, add remove programs, and more - all up in those tabs I never click on :)

Same here - never bothered about the other tabs but do now. But maybe users have too many folders sitting idle with 100's of files. I just found that you can sort of browse the internet sites within explorer using Microsoft Search connectors. (http://goo.gl/X0LPkr) Simple example here. (http://allnurses-breakroom.com/technology-internet-software/how-use-search-555999.html)