PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading to a blu-ray machine or drive that may also do movie streaming

barryk
27-07-2014, 01:03 PM
Hello PressF1 members,

Both my DVD player and laptop DVD drive are non functional now and Blu Ray movies seem to be occupying more and more of the shelves in the local video store, I'm seriously considering upgrading to either a blu-ray machine or blu-ray drive. I'd like the blu-ray playing device to do movie streaming off the Internet as well. Price range is up to $250.

Any recommendations?

Thanks for your assistance,
Barry.

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2014, 01:08 PM
Dont think you want one for a computer then, it'll have to be a standalone dvd / bluray player.

barryk
27-07-2014, 01:10 PM
Dont think you want one for a computer then, it'll have to be a standalone dvd / bluray player.

Yes, I'm thinking it's more likely it'll be a standalone blu-ray player but I'm keeping the blu-ray drive as a lesser possibility. Thanks Speedy G.

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Maybe something like this?? (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/tvs-dvds/dvd-video/blu-ray-players/sony-bdps3200-blu-ray-player-with-wi-fi/prod135704.html) You'll probably want something with ethernet or wireless (or both).

Since a wireless adapter (by itself), for some bluray players can cost $99-100

paulw
27-07-2014, 01:47 PM
Or if you just want to stream movies in HD how about an Apple TV or Chromecast??

barryk
27-07-2014, 02:07 PM
Maybe something like this?? (http://www.noelleeming.co.nz/shop/tvs-dvds/dvd-video/blu-ray-players/sony-bdps3200-blu-ray-player-with-wi-fi/prod135704.html) You'll probably want something with ethernet or wireless (or both).

Since a wireless adapter (by itself), for some bluray players can cost $99-100

Yes I want something like this. Bear in mind my Sony TV is 1080i only, not 1080p which is full HD . Also is it possible to stream via Ethernet as well as wirelessly? I thought data travels much faster by Ethernet than wirelessly?

Speedy Gonzales
27-07-2014, 02:13 PM
Cant see why you cant use ethernet. Thats if you dont mind cables. Depends on how good your wireless is, on how good streaming will be