PDA

View Full Version : Heat Pumps - recommendations

bk T
26-07-2014, 09:55 PM
Some questions about heat pump for home heating / cooling(?):

1. What brand do you guys recommend?

2. Do heat pumps use less power but more efficient to heat up the rooms than ordinary heaters?

3. Do all heat pumps have the reverse cycle for cooling in the summer?

Views and opinions from existing users are most welcome.

Thanks.

Zippity
26-07-2014, 10:13 PM
Visit consumer.org.nz

Daikin is one of the better machines :)

Bryan
27-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I've used exclusively Mitsubishi and find it wonderful. Cheaper than normal electric heating by far.

As Zipperty says, go onto the Consumer website. They have done a study of all forms of heating and heat pumps come out on top by far.

tweak'e
27-07-2014, 11:49 AM
2. Do heat pumps use less power but more efficient to heat up the rooms than ordinary heaters?

yes, they are far more efficient.
However thats also assuming you use it the same. what often happens is people leave them running all the time or heat up the room a lot hotter than they normally would, and end up using a lot more power than they normally would.
i would also look at a fireplace, at least you can still have heating and cooking when the power is out.

gary67
27-07-2014, 05:42 PM
We have a Panasonic and a log burner. Heatpump comes on for one hour a day. Just long enough for the fire to kick in. This is the third house we have had with the Panasonic and a fire good heatpump but not a patch on the fire for heat or cost.

dugimodo
27-07-2014, 07:20 PM
I have a Mitsubishi and it's been very good for the several years I've had it. I do recommend them but I think it pays to be aware they do use a reasonable amount of power. To heat a room to the same temperature as any other form of electric or gas heating they are the cheapest but as previously mentioned if you try to heat it further or keep it warm 24/7 it can use more. I agree with Tweak'e, they are the most efficient form of heating but that is not the same as saying they are the cheapest.

An average heatpump with a maximum heat output of 6KW will use up to 2KW of power, if you leave them running 24/7 and your house doesn't have exceptional insulation they can and will cost a fortune to run.
Also they don't achieve maximum efficiency all the time, on a cold frosty morning for example they can struggle to put out much heat for a while and can sometimes need to defrost the outdoor unit on regular cycles which cuts down the heating even more.

I've heard the story several times of people getting a heat pump because they hear it's the cheapest form of heating, setting the thermostat to 22 and leaving it on for a month, only to get a power bill that is several hundred higher than usual. I left my on at 18 for a couple days to see what happened and checked the charts on my power companies website. There is a massive spike on those 2 days compared to normal, even compared to the weekends when I'm home. I usually heat the house for about 1-1.5 hours in the morning and from 5-6 hours at night, there's no point heating the house while I'm sleeping or at work and nobody is home. I use the timer on mine to come on an hour before I get up and turn it on manually when I get home.

In the past I had a portable gas heater - terrible for moisture and expensive to run, and both a fan heater and an oil column heater. To heat my lounge with a single plug in electric heater is virtually impossible, the area is too large. I tried leaving the column heater on, worked but gave me heart failure when the power bill arrived. What I ended up doing it using a 2kw fan heater and the oil column heater together for about an hour to heat the room, then switching off one of them once it was warm and letting the other maintain the warmth - and only for a few hours. It cost more and didn't work as well as my heat pump by far.

And geez look at that I've written a novel :) sorry bout that.

kenj
27-07-2014, 08:01 PM
We live in a modern house with ceiling and wall insulation. Built for the sun and we have heavy thermal drapes that we draw just as the sun goes down. Our heating needs are minimal. Only have about 10 days a year when we light the fire. Usually when it is snowing in the ranges. The woodburner which is highly efficient, has to be replaced as the local council in their wisdom has declared to be non compliant for emissions. We are having a new one installed in the next couple of weeks. It is only a small one but outputs 16KW of heat. We have an oil column heater on a timer for 1 hour at 5.30 am each day to warm up our familyroom/kitchen. Power bill averages at $40 per week over the year.

The biggest difference we made was a couple of years ago when we put an extra layer of insulation in the ceiling. This made a big difference. I think that insulation has to be up to scratch before heating is considered. Otherwise the heat just flies away with wings made of $10 bills :)

Ken

tweak'e
27-07-2014, 08:41 PM
insulation is important. i plan to put another layer in mine. worked out a rough cost of around $1000 not including installation. thats cheap heating 24/7.

Bobh
27-07-2014, 11:36 PM
I had a Fujitsu heat pump installed in the Autumn this year to keep the lounge and kitchen warm. I am in an older wooden house but it faces the sun. I use a blow heaters set at a low heat to keep the chill out of the bedrooms. I find the heat pump keeps the kitchen and lounge much warmer and my power bills during the winter months are now a bit less. I switch the heat pump off when I go to bed or when I am out of the house. My cats love the heat pump.

Greg
28-07-2014, 06:17 AM
Ours is a Toshiba and works a treat - there's two indoor outputs - one in each lounge, tho only the one in the family room is used regularly. The beauty of it is that is cools the rooms so well during the hotter months. Hard to say what it costs per month tho cos we have a million appliances and nonsence which run on the electricity, but have to reiterate how good it is.

tweak'e
28-07-2014, 10:12 AM
I use a blow heaters set at a low heat to keep the chill out of the bedrooms......... I switch the heat pump off when I go to bed or when I am out of the house. My cats love the heat pump.
good example of usage. compared to others who have it running all day and half the night.

i know a few people from overseas who get a big shock here. they are used to central heating, heat up the entire house. they do that here and the power bill is horrendous.
kiwis tend to heat specific areas, keep the chill off the bedroom or heater facing the seating in the lounge.