PDA

View Full Version : Upgrading motherboad/CPU for occasional gaming

PC builder
26-07-2014, 08:15 PM
Hi,

The computer in my siggy has now finally died, not sure how but it no longer boots. I have decided not to get it repaired and instead upgrade the motherboad/CPU as I have had the ram, graphics card and hard drives tested and they are still working.

I am looking to buy an Intel quad core CPU or a six core AMD.

Any suggestions for motherboad/CPU combinations are appreciated

I am wanting to still use my DDR3 1600 ram.

My budget is a max of $500, but less would be good as I am only an occasional gamer. As long as I don't lag I am happy.

Thank you

Speedy Gonzales
26-07-2014, 08:50 PM
You could get something like this (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21948). I think its quad-core. That leaves you about $180 for the mobo

Then get any socket 1150 mobo. Only thing you'll have to check is what version of the BIOS supports this CPU (its pretty recent the devil canyon CPU's). So you may have to get the shop to flash the BIOS, before they send it / or if you pick it up.

So you can use it

icow
27-07-2014, 01:35 AM
$300 CPU/ $200 Motherboard seems like a good split. Should be able to get a decent motherboard with a good feature set. Any fairly recent quad core cpu should be able to keep all modern games happy (with some specific games benefiting from more cores and hyper threading, usually you'll find that the GPU is the bottleneck though). The i5 suggested by speedy should be plenty powerful enough (as would any ivy bridge or haswell i5).

Also if you're looking at AMD parts you should be looking at an 8 core CPU. You can get the FX-8320 for around $200.

dugimodo
27-07-2014, 06:34 PM
I know you said you don't want it fixed but are you sure the CPU is dead? if it's not nothing in your budget will be a noticeable upgrade and getting a replacement board should still be possible.
Otherwise get the one speedy linked, best i5 currently available.

chiefnz
28-07-2014, 08:04 PM
I would actually try and figure out what is wrong with the CPU first... that CPU is no slouch (standard or overclocked). You have 8 cores so there is more than enough grunt.

Gaming today is more about memory, your GPU and disk speeds (SSD). I would test the CPU out on another board, a 5 minute job really and if it works you only need to spend money on a new mobo (if it's the mobo that's buggered of course) and use the change to upgrade your graphics card to say maybe a GTX650 or higher if you had enough dosh. From the title you say occasional gaming so I would go with a GTX650 at a minimum for the GPU. This is of course if your CPU isn't fried and just your mobo that needs replacing.

I had a similar dilemma, I have an i7 3770, not a bad machine at all... but struggled with some of the newer games. My mate had pretty much the same setup except he had more memory and a better graphics card. We swapped GPU's and RAM. I got better performance than I did with my 8GB of RAM and my GTX5xx card using his 16GB of RAM and GTX650. So I shelled our for a GTX 650, SSD and amped my RAM to 24GB.

Gaming performance is more than adequate (not exactly 30+ fps) but better than before I'm not a hardcore gamer but when I do I prefer a half decent experience when killing zombies!

Cheers,

dugimodo
28-07-2014, 11:58 PM
24GB of RAM is complete overkill. 16GB is even overkill for most gaming. I have 8GB, an i7 3770, and an R9 290 and I max out the settings on every game I've tried @ 1080P and get decent framerates, usually 60+ fps. It's your graphics card upgrade that made the difference. Also a 650 is not an upgrade from a 560Ti - it's slower. Check this chart http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/gaming-graphics-card-review,3107-7.html the recommendation from that site is to upgrade at least tiers on the chart or you may not notice much of an improvement. From a 560Ti that puts you in GTX760, 670, or r9 280 territory for a significant upgrade.

The 2600K is more than capable as you mention, assuming it hasn't been fried by overclocking. It only has 4 cores and hyperthreading though. Not 8 cores at all.

pctek
29-07-2014, 08:58 AM
The single most important component for gaming, always has been and remains, the GPU.

SolMiester
30-07-2014, 01:57 PM
I would actually try and figure out what is wrong with the CPU first... that CPU is no slouch (standard or overclocked). You have 8 cores so there is more than enough grunt.

Gaming today is more about memory, your GPU and disk speeds (SSD). I would test the CPU out on another board, a 5 minute job really and if it works you only need to spend money on a new mobo (if it's the mobo that's buggered of course) and use the change to upgrade your graphics card to say maybe a GTX650 or higher if you had enough dosh. From the title you say occasional gaming so I would go with a GTX650 at a minimum for the GPU. This is of course if your CPU isn't fried and just your mobo that needs replacing.

I had a similar dilemma, I have an i7 3770, not a bad machine at all... but struggled with some of the newer games. My mate had pretty much the same setup except he had more memory and a better graphics card. We swapped GPU's and RAM. I got better performance than I did with my 8GB of RAM and my GTX5xx card using his 16GB of RAM and GTX650. So I shelled our for a GTX 650, SSD and amped my RAM to 24GB.

Gaming performance is more than adequate (not exactly 30+ fps) but better than before I'm not a hardcore gamer but when I do I prefer a half decent experience when killing zombies!

Cheers,

Yip, Sandy Bridge will equal or better anything AMD has at present....I would suspect the capacitors on your existing Mobo, however you have stated what happens when you attempt to boot!...