PDA

View Full Version : Internet providers

ianhnz
24-07-2014, 02:39 PM
Hi guys and hoping for some helps.
I'm hoping to get fiber installed and looking at different options.
Come across, Snap, for $75.00 with 80 Gb data cap. free call display, call waiting and messaging. 30/10 Mbps.
Does anyone know any good or bad things about them?
Thanks, Ian

pctek
24-07-2014, 03:52 PM
Snap has an excellent reputation, great customer service.

You could do far worse......

ianhnz
24-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Snap has an excellent reputation, great customer service.

You could do far worse......

What, Telecom?

Agent_24
24-07-2014, 09:28 PM
I wouldn't call Telecom "far worse"

bk T
24-07-2014, 10:06 PM
Aren't they all the same?

gary67
25-07-2014, 07:35 AM
Snap are excellent, we are on that package but when we signed up last December we got 100Gb for $75 and free national calling which we don't really use much. Service has been awesome so far and the fact they are based here in Chch is also a plus.

pctek
25-07-2014, 09:30 AM
Other than the abysmal Yahoo mail, what is so terrible about Telecom? I haven't had any problems, I get discounts when I ask, service is speedy.
Anyway, Snap, Actrix and Inspire are the top rated for customer service.

I would put Slingshot/Callplus and Vodafone at bottom.

Agent_24
25-07-2014, 11:14 AM
Aren't they all the same?

Not sure if serious or...

b....
25-07-2014, 08:03 PM
Like pctek I would like to know what is wrong with Telecom.
Also what is the problem with Xtramail? Works well here, never had any real problems with it.
I have always had good service. Calls always answered by New Zealanders.

Will probably go to Telecom fibre when they lift their data cap above 50GB.

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2014, 09:37 AM
You must be the *only* person in the whole country who's not had an issue with Xtramail, the large number of public botch-ups is astounding.

Telecom now they're separated from Chorus have actually been relatively decent, especially in terms of their VDSL2 and UFB offerings. Their Helpdesk is still abysmal though and they offer the most terrible routers. But the actual throughput is good.

plod
26-07-2014, 10:53 AM
You must be the *only* person in the whole country who's not had an issue with Xtramail, the large number of public botch-ups is astounding.

Telecom now they're separated from Chorus have actually been relatively decent, especially in terms of their VDSL2 and UFB offerings. Their Helpdesk is still abysmal though and they offer the most terrible routers. But the actual throughput is good.
There help desk needs to be renamed after my dealings with them moving house. But there products a fine, I personally wouldn't use a ISP email service.

b....
26-07-2014, 11:27 AM
WOW, I'm unique!

Seriously though, Telecom have been no trouble to deal with over the years. On the odd occasion that I have had to use their help desk, they have resolved the issue with a minimum of fuss.
The "terrible" TG582n that they gave us has never missed a beat. We turn the power off to the whole computer system when not in use.
Would like a little more speed, but can still download HD Youtube videos. Often have PC and laptop on Youtube at the same time without too much trouble.

Telecom actually rang yesterday to see if we wanted to change plans as we only use about half our monthly data cap, and very little of our national phone calling option.
Thinking seriously of going fibre and dropping national calling. Would be cheaper to pay for the few toll calls wife makes to sister and brother up north.

Chilling_Silence
26-07-2014, 06:12 PM
WOW, I'm unique!

Often have PC and laptop on Youtube at the same time without too much trouble..

My money says that's all you have, two devices?

Add another one or two and they just die...

johnd
26-07-2014, 09:17 PM
Great service with Snap! As with most IPSs in my experience there is sometimes a short wait to get help on the phone. I had an occasion over a 2 day period recently doing some work on a system connected to Telecom - each time I rang the help desk it said they were experiencing delays of over an hour - that is useless - all you can do is hang up.

b....
27-07-2014, 12:29 AM
My money says that's all you have, two devices?

Pretty much. Have a couple of TV's, but there are only three of us, so two devices are usually the most that would be used at any one time.

Chilling_Silence
27-07-2014, 10:59 PM
^^ called it.

They die under any semblance of load. Two devices will rarely generate the traffic. Adding on an additional couple, even if they're not "all on at once" usually causes the DHCP server in the router to fall over though...

Chilling_Silence
27-07-2014, 10:59 PM
^^ called it.

They die under any semblance of load. Two devices will rarely generate the traffic. Adding on an additional couple, even if they're not "all on at once" usually causes the DHCP server in the router to fall over though...

linw
28-07-2014, 10:27 AM
You get the hiccups yesterday, Chill?

Chilling_Silence
28-07-2014, 11:07 AM
Yeah, apparently :-/

Either that or my subconscious wanted to drive home the point that I predicted it correctly and congratulate myself :p