PDA

View Full Version : Friend currently uses XtraMail and wants to move away from Telecom

Renmoo
23-07-2014, 06:21 PM
Hi all,

Is there any option that she can still keep her XtraMail e-mail address once she has terminated her contract with Telecom? She is currently utilising their broadband service.

Cheers :)

Chilling_Silence
23-07-2014, 06:25 PM
Yes, they'll charge her a few bucks a month for it, but she can call them and keep it.

Better off to bite the bullet and get a domain and host it with Google or similar. Be cheaper in the long run :)

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 06:25 PM
I think she can but she'll have to pay to keep it. Or use something else like Gmail.

pctek
24-07-2014, 08:40 AM
She can, there is a fee as has been said already.
But really, why not use Gmail or similar? That way it never matters when you change ISPs.
And Yahoo mail is absolute rubbish, why stay with the worst one of the lot?

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2014, 11:51 AM
That way it never matters when you change ISPs.
And Yahoo mail is absolute rubbish, why stay with the worst one of the lot?

^^ Pretty much the two best reasons for her to switch away, even if it takes a wee while to do-so.

bk T
24-07-2014, 12:20 PM
It's better to move away from xtra mail.

My Outlook's xtra mail is popping up a window asking for user name and password every now and then, so much so that I got to close my Oulook2010 just to avoid the annoying window!

Telecom seems just can't fix it, or, don't bother to fix it!

24-07-2014, 01:38 PM
Telecom seems just can't fix it, or, don't bother to fix it!

Its not Telecom. Your xtra email was given to Yahoo many years back. Your email downloads from yahoo, not telecom.
Its yahoo . Telecom wont have much if any control over what yahoo gets up to.

Personal email is obviously something that Telecom didnt want to have anything to do with, despite it being so important to so many of
their home users.
Once these home users ditch that xtra email , it wont be long till those users realize the dont need Telecom either & go to a cheaper ISP

bk T
24-07-2014, 02:00 PM
You drawn a very clear line between Telecom and Xtra mail. We all know that Yahoo is handling Xtra mail.

The fact is, Telecom is still accountable for problems with Xtra mail. Have you tried to contact Yahoo for any problems you encountered with you Xtra mail?

Telecom is still answerable to all your Xtramail problems!

Winston001
24-07-2014, 04:11 PM
I think Xtra charge $10/month to keep your Xtra account open. That adds up over time.

I've had an xtra email account for 12 years and much as I'd like to ditch it, many people still mail me at that account. I switched to gmail two years ago but it doesn't seem to make any difference - people still use the xtra address.

Chilling_Silence
24-07-2014, 04:12 PM
I think Xtra charge $10/month to keep your Xtra account open. That adds up over time.

I've had an xtra email account for 12 years and much as I'd like to ditch it, many people still mail me at that account. I switched to gmail two years ago but it doesn't seem to make any difference - people still use the xtra address.

If you ditch it, they'll get bounceback notifications, and will update their email address book real damn quick then if it's of any slight importance :P

PeterQ
26-07-2014, 12:18 PM
I was told by Telecom $20.00 per month

linw
26-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Streuth, fancy paying for xtra mail. They should be paying you.

Cato
26-07-2014, 04:39 PM
I was told by Telecom $20.00 per month

That's mad!

Renmoo
28-07-2014, 08:28 AM
Thank you all for the replies. I have narrowed down the options for her to either 1) move away from her ISP e-mail account (which I recommended) or 2) stick to the cheapest possible plan with Telecom and retain her @xtramail account.

Cheers :)