PDA

View Full Version : System transfer.

Cicero
23-07-2014, 03:04 PM
Walked into shop, asked about cheap new box and transfer my Win 7 onto it.

He says Microsoft don't like swapping to new computer.

Can't see what they loose.

Is this right?

pcuser42
23-07-2014, 03:06 PM
I think he's mixed his words a bit ;)

If you mean put your old hard drive with Windows 7 into a new computer, that's unlikely to work unless the hardware is very similar.

If you mean just transfer the licence (and do a clean install), OEM versions won't allow that at all, while retail versions will.

dugimodo
23-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Windows 7 and earlier don't allow OEM licenses to be transferred, windows 8 does. Retail licences can be transferred with the stipulation that it must be removed from the old PC. However you can possibly get around the OEM transfer if you don't mind a phone call to microsoft windows activation number to convince them the old computer died and has been repaired and you are now trying to reinstall windows, no guarantee it'll work but it often does.

XP is even easier, the activation seems to reset every 3 months so if it's been longer than that since last activation you can just do it again on the new machine. Of course it's time to move on from XP really.

23-07-2014, 03:51 PM
Can't see what they loose.

They stand to loose quite a bit if MS decide to persecute them over this sort of thing.

It happens all the time, clients/customers expect IT techs to help them with their software piracy (not saying thats you at all thou)
Recently had several separate instances of pirated Office Enterprise needing to be transferred to new PC's (I either refused or said it couldnt be done)

R2x1
23-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Perhaps this program (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) will do the trick? It is easiest to use if you can put both drives in one machine, but even with an external hdd it is pretty straightforward. Simple to use, reliable and free, it clones disks with great ease, I use it when doing SSD replacement of those quaint old rotary hard disk drives.

pctek
23-07-2014, 04:46 PM
Windows 7 and earlier don't allow OEM licenses to be transferred

Yes they do.
legally is another thing though.

Lawrence
23-07-2014, 04:46 PM
If you bought a box with Windows 7 included either Hp,dell Compaq etc it will be difficult to move over but if you had your comp loaded with windows 7 and have the disk and key ,it will be no problem

If you have some problem with your present system maybe it can be sorted by speedy

Cicero
23-07-2014, 04:56 PM
If you bought a box with Windows 7 included either Hp,dell Compaq etc it will be difficult to move over but if you had your comp loaded with windows 7 and have the disk and key ,it will be no problem

If you have some problem with your present system maybe it can be sorted by speedyChap rebuilt my computer, when he did so he bought for me a copy of Win7 pro, I have the disc and is legit, so lets have no talk of pirates.

wainuitech
23-07-2014, 04:59 PM
Perhaps this program (http://www.macrium.com/reflectfree.aspx) will do the trick? It is easiest to use if you can put both drives in one machine, but even with an external hdd it is pretty straightforward. Simple to use, reliable and free, it clones disks with great ease, I use it when doing SSD replacement of those quaint old rotary hard disk drives. Depending on the HDD (SSD) they should come with software that will transfer from a normal HDD to SSD.

Samsungs software is really nice to use. Its so basic you cant really go wrong - select HDD- Select SSD - Transfer -- Go make a cuppa. :) ( optional) lol

Dont know if the samsung Software works on other brands, never tried.

Lawrence
23-07-2014, 05:02 PM
It will easy,just load on windows 7 and slave your old hard drive to move your files across

Perhaps wainui would help you out transferring it across

Cicero
23-07-2014, 05:10 PM
It will easy,just load on windows 7 and slave your old hard drive to move your files across

Perhaps wainui would help you out transferring it across

Am talking to the man Lawrence.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 05:14 PM
Samsung Magician wont work with any other SSD. Just Samsung ssd's. Their site says This software is not compatible with other manufacturer's SSDs. I didn't use it here. I did a clean install instead.

It's the only hdd in the case here at the mo. I'll probably add more later

Lawrence
23-07-2014, 05:20 PM
Ha Ha, well I guess your old operating system was XP so it may not be very quick as I found out

If you post the spec's on the desktop you are looking at some of the Tech's here could tell you if you are getting a good deal or could recommend something better

Cicero
23-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Ha Ha, well I guess your old operating system was XP so it may not be very quick as I found out

If you post the spec's on the desktop you are looking at some of the Tech's here could tell you if you are getting a good deal or could recommend something better
Oooops sorry Law, was referring to Wai the man.

Whenu
23-07-2014, 05:44 PM
If the two systems are on different machines, should transfer data easy enough with the file transfer function in W7.
Done my one with wireless.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 05:48 PM
Data / files maybe OK. It's activating it that'll be the prob

Cicero
23-07-2014, 05:59 PM
If the two systems are on different machines, should transfer data easy enough with the file transfer function in W7.
Done my one with wireless.
Taken data off dead machine and am using a laptop meantime.

Data held on external H/D

R2x1
23-07-2014, 08:16 PM
Depending on the HDD (SSD) they should come with software that will transfer from a normal HDD to SSD.

Samsungs software is really nice to use. Its so basic you cant really go wrong - select HDD- Select SSD - Transfer -- Go make a cuppa. :) ( optional) lol

Dont know if the samsung Software works on other brands, never tried.
The software I use is quite happy going from any type of drive to any other, including with multiple OSs on the original, just put the cloned (new) drive in and work as if it was all the old original (but with SSDs, there is no longer enforced coffee break pauses). Files, OS(s), bookmarks, passwords, shortcuts, everything on the new system is just where it was on the old setup.

dugimodo
24-07-2014, 12:04 AM
Yes they do.
legally is another thing though.

They still don't allow it. Just because you can do it doesn't mean it's allowed :P