PDA

View Full Version : IE Update

Roscoe
23-07-2014, 12:44 PM
Will someone please tell me how to update IE10 to IE11. I want to do a job that IE10 won't let me do and I have been told that IE11 will do it so I need to update, but I can't see how it works.

Your help will be appreciated. Thanks.

pcuser42
23-07-2014, 12:50 PM
If you're on Windows 8, upgrade to Windows 8.1 - that's the only way to get IE11.

On Windows 7, check Windows Update.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 12:50 PM
Download the IE11 install file. Or get it though windows update. You using Win7 or 8??

Roscoe
23-07-2014, 12:54 PM
I am running Win8.

The next question then is, how do I update to 8.1?

Thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 12:58 PM
Log in with an MS account then go to the store. Dont know if you can do it with a local account. There should be something saying 8.1 update click on it to update to 8.1

But if youre using Enterprise / Pro in a company with volume licensing / Pro from Technet then you can't update it. You'll have to get it from Technet, if it's a Technet version of Win8

And it looks like you have to install KB 2871389 and KB 2917499, before you'll see it in the store. If these aren't installed, install them first

Poppa John
23-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Re the 8.1 update. We had a lot of trouble doing this til Waiuitech suggested not using WiFi from the modem but to "hard connect it instead" it went straight thro. I did write down the sequence of events which I can put on here if it helps. PJ

Roscoe
23-07-2014, 01:14 PM
Thank you everyone. I'm downloading the 8.1 update now. It looks as though it will take some time.

Speedy: I don't know what Enterprise / Pro is but from what you say I assume that is to do with a commercial version. My version is on my home laptop.

Thanks for your advice PJ. I will keep that in mind.

Poppa John
23-07-2014, 01:30 PM
Thank you everyone. I'm downloading the 8.1 update now. It looks as though it will take some time.

Speedy: I don't know what Enterprise / Pro is but from what you say I assume that is to do with a commercial version. My version is on my home laptop.

Thanks for your advice PJ. I will keep that in mind.

Yes a loong tiime......on WIFI it kept stopping at around 47% download. PJ

wainuitech
23-07-2014, 01:37 PM

Thanks for your advice PJ. I will keep that in mind. You don't need a MS account to get the update.

A Suggestion, make sure you are not connected Via wireless. MANY people have problems when installing via Wireless, as it appears to cut the connection. Sometimes when it gets to a point of needing you to sign in, or start installing, gathering info, but it cant because the internet connection has been cut as its upgrading, seen it plenty of times it gets stuck, cant finish installing cant go back = reinstall ----- Connected via Ethernet work most of the time.

If you don't sign in in W8, then make sure you disconnect the Ethernet as its rebooting, other wise it forces you to sign in, which in home can be a pain to remove. If you don't need to sign in, click Customize option ( bottom Right) when its prompting, then next, next and it will be as before. IF you did need to sign in before then ignore above.

Roscoe
23-07-2014, 02:08 PM
Thank you, Wainui. How does one disconnect from the WiFi and connect via the cable? Does just plugging in the cable do that or do I need to disconnect something?

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 02:12 PM
Click on the bars in the taskbar. Select your AP. Click disconnect. Connect the cable

Roscoe
23-07-2014, 09:10 PM
Thank you, Speedy. It took about three hours, but I have finally downloaded and installed 8.1. Your help is appreciated.

May I now get back to my original question: how to I update IE10 to IE11? Thanks for your help.

Speedy Gonzales
23-07-2014, 09:24 PM
Well does it appear in windowsupdate?? And did you check the version thats installed now??

pcuser42
23-07-2014, 09:27 PM
May I now get back to my original question: how to I update IE10 to IE11? Thanks for your help.

You just did :)

Roscoe
23-07-2014, 09:35 PM
Thanks, PCUser. I did not realise that updating to WIN8.1 would also update IE. Much appreciated.