PDA

View Full Version : cloud storage

rocco
21-07-2014, 04:33 PM
Hi, I am trying to get an idea of the better cloud storage sites available(price and ease to use and reliability) where I can backup automatically and... if I need to restore the files on my pc..any suggestions from anyone?

linw
21-07-2014, 05:41 PM
Dunno about best but DO NOT trust 'Just Cloud'. Whatever you fancy, DO google them for users' opinions. I should have done so!

Also, be aware that these systems may run constantly, using your clock cycles and checking up on your disk continuously.

Check that you can download in bulk and not a file at a time!

Also be aware that you can get a huge bandwidth gobble unless you have the right product and don't do things like wanting to move your files on your disk.

In the end, I just went really cold on these services and decided to take care of my off-site backups my way. I just felt I wasn't in control.

In saying that, that is not to say that cloud storage is a bad thing. It just didn't suit me.

Best wishes.

Speedy Gonzales
21-07-2014, 06:26 PM
+1 I dont trust it either. Thats why I've disabled Skydrive syncing in Win8

wainuitech
21-07-2014, 07:03 PM
Both dropbox.com/ (https://www.dropbox.com/) and https://onedrive (https://onedrive.live.com/about/en-nz/) are popular. Both have their pros and Cons. Both have free accounts with paid accounts if you want more storage. Drop Box has 2GB where as one drive has 15GB.

The biggest thing to look out for as its been mentioned is what is being uploaded / Stored. Both have separate folders that will auto sync with cloud storage. Once its synced there is next to no activity till something is added.

Example: just installed a New PC at a persons place, when we put Dropbox back ( the paid version) it was bringing through to the computer / Syncing ( from memory) around 17GB.

Any of the programs will only sync what you select. That's one of the problems with W8 and one drive, people dont look at what they are actually installing and what it will do. I have Onedrive on all the PC's here, only thing that gets synced is what is selected / in the folder I select.

inphinity
21-07-2014, 09:04 PM
CrashPlan

psycik
21-07-2014, 09:05 PM
Hi, I am trying to get an idea of the better cloud storage sites available(price and ease to use and reliability) where I can backup automatically and... if I need to restore the files on my pc..any suggestions from anyone?

Dropbox is pretty good, pretty easy to use and has the advantage of syncing local cibtent with their servers. It also has rudimentary versions. But it's not the cheapest.

For proper backups (with the option of a clud based backup and unlimited storage) crashplan is my choice. $50 used a year for unlimited storage. But where it reaLly shines, is for free you can back up files to an external hard drive, or to a friends via computer (securely, it's not just a file copy, your friends can't read it).

Other than that, there's google drive, microsfts sky drive or box.net

lakewoodlady
21-07-2014, 10:10 PM
Drive if you are Google inclined, iCloud if belonging to the fruit fraternity, or Dropbox for impartiality. I personally don't trust Onedrive cos its Microsoft.

LL

Nick G
21-07-2014, 10:55 PM
Google Drive or Onedrive. Dropbox is alight but the amount of free storage they offer is pretty limiting.

wainuitech
21-07-2014, 11:07 PM
Drive if you are Google inclined, iCloud if belonging to the fruit fraternity, or Dropbox for impartiality. I personally don't trust Onedrive cos its Microsoft.

LL And you would trust Google ? :illogical

NO one is really safe, including Google Google-Drive-Attack-Exposed-How-to-Stay-Secure (http://www.doctrackr.com/blog/bid/379295/Google-Drive-Attack-Exposed-How-to-Stay-Secure)

And the most scary part, the scammers used Googles own servers.
The fake page is actually hosted on Google's servers and is served over SSL, making the page even more convincing.

fred_fish
21-07-2014, 11:44 PM
NO one is really safe,

...except yourself ---> ownCloud :D

notechyet
22-07-2014, 07:03 AM
For approximate 6 years I have been using Mozy backup and a paid version for the last couple of years. Never had a problem. Can choose which folder/files to upload. Runs twice a day on my work files. Had about a 1/2 doz times when I had to recover.
Also use a network drive for backup. Just lately thinking of upgrading the network drive to a NAS.

22-07-2014, 11:14 AM
A few things..

If they go bankrupt, you could loose all your backups .
If they arnt as secure as they say, you data could be accessed (dont laugh, its happened with dropbox, big time)
If they dont keep the backup on multiple systems or have data redundancy, you could loose your backup.

How much data are we talking about
whats your actual internet upload speed , whats the upload speed to their servers

Single or Mirrored NAS Boxes are pretty damn cheap now .
Personally, I wouldnt rely on Cloud as the only backup for critical data

kahawai chaser
22-07-2014, 11:16 AM
Amazon Glacier is supposedly dirt cheap for long term storage, cheaper than their S3, in certain circumstances. Review from Lifehacker. (http://lifehacker.com/how-to-use-amazon-glacier-as-a-dirt-cheap-backup-solut-1460814873)

linw
22-07-2014, 03:02 PM
A few things..

If they go bankrupt, you could loose all your backups .
If they arnt as secure as they say, you data could be accessed (dont laugh, its happened with dropbox, big time)
If they dont keep the backup on multiple systems or have data redundancy, you could loose your backup.

How much data are we talking about
whats your actual internet upload speed , whats the upload speed to their servers

Single or Mirrored NAS Boxes are pretty damn cheap now .
Personally, I wouldnt rely on Cloud as the only backup for critical data
I think the way to look at it is not to see it as the only backup but the backup that saves you from fire and theft.

pcuser42
22-07-2014, 03:16 PM
You should never have just one backup. ;)

BBCmicro
22-07-2014, 05:26 PM
You should never have just one backup. ;)

Yes, you should always back it up

Agent_24
22-07-2014, 08:30 PM
Duplicati is a good (free) backup software which can encrypt and backup online to various services. Of course some of the services are not free, but you get encryption before your data touches their servers.

berryb
30-07-2014, 11:18 PM
There is consumer and corporate cloud backup options.
Some things to consider are
• where is your data stored – in NZ or overseas
• if overseas what is the countries law that protects your data
• is the data centre secure – earthquake/fire etc
• is it mirrored between secure sites.
• is data encrypted
• can you restore easily
• does any of the above really matter for your type of data
Depending on requirements some or all of the above may have an impact on the product used.
I currently use a combination of OneDrive, SOS Online and for business critical data Black Box Backup (I am a reseller). I will probably drop SOS Online when the plan is up for renewal and use OneDrive for none critical/sensitive data.

31-07-2014, 11:06 AM
There is consumer and corporate cloud backup options.

• is the data centre secure – earthquake/fire etc
• is it mirrored between secure sites.
• is data encrypted

Problem really is some providers simply lie about these sort of things . You dont know the truth till you find out the hard way.
It happens .

berryb
02-08-2014, 09:50 PM
Got any examples? Either post or PM as I'm interested and don't want to find out the hard way :)

psycik
02-08-2014, 11:02 PM
Got any examples? Either post or PM as I'm interested and don't want to find out the hard way :)

As iterated above. A cloud backup should just be one step in a multiple tier backup solution. Either using a mix of programs or a single one.

I use crashplan. I backup my data to another drive in the same machine. Protects against drive failure send stupidity (on my part).
I back up to another machine at home. Protects against the machne dying.
Thirdly I use their cloud storage. I don't care it's in the us. Protects against fire/theft, disaster.

I've also got an incoming backup from my mothers computer. So In Effect I'm her cloud storage. No evil external company in place for her.

berryb
03-08-2014, 12:13 PM
Thanks psycik and I have multiple backups locations myself but my post was relating to 1101 statement that you cannot believe what some providers advertise about secure offsite sites and/or encrypted data.

I am interested to hear who these providers are so I do not use one myself. As stated I use SOS Online but this data is not stored encrypted but is protected by password only. Data is encrypted whilst zooming through the internet but believe the data is not encrypted on their server.