PDA

View Full Version : If you are using Windows 8 or 8.1 on a desktop - are you ....

Digby
20-07-2014, 04:14 AM
I was wondering how many people that use Windows 8 or 8.1 on their desktop pc's are using the two styles of interface.

Eg are you trying to use the new Metro interface or
Are you using the desktop and trying to make it work like XP or 7 ?

(me I am in the latter camp, mainly because I am not into apps etc - just business software and movies.)

Lawrence
20-07-2014, 08:39 AM
Been using Win 8.1 for 4 months on desktop ,have "Start 8" start menu installed and in all that time may have only seen the post it note (Metro) screen twice

yep it looks like Win 7 but is better,starts up and shuts down quicker and generally is a lot quicker (Quad core)

Terry Porritt
20-07-2014, 08:47 AM
I am using the win 8.1.1 desktop and "making it work" like win 8.1.1 :thumbs:

sk69ersnz
20-07-2014, 08:51 AM
I haven't seen 8 or 8.1 on a desktop yet but I have put Classic Shell-Start menu on 4 Laptops so far.

CliveM
20-07-2014, 09:29 AM
I am using the win 8.1.1 desktop and "making it work" like win 8.1.1 :thumbs:

So am I and like it a lot.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2014, 09:39 AM
Using 8.1 .1 with WMC, on 2 computers here. Inc the one I just finished building. Both have Start8 on them, so I have a menu

gary67
20-07-2014, 09:41 AM
use it at work and only use the desktop the retard interface should be avoided at all costs unless you have a tablet. Win 8.1.1 only has one feature of note over Win 7 and that's the button to go back through previously viewed folders. Apart from that its not worth the money to upgrade.

KarameaDave
20-07-2014, 10:47 AM
I am moving all possible machines here to various Linux versions.
I for one have had enough of ALL U.S. corporates dictating to me what I want as my "technology experience".
crApple, M$ and, of course, the ultimate evil... Horricle.

pcuser42
20-07-2014, 11:11 AM
Using Windows 8.1 Update on both my desktop and tablet, and have no intention, or need, to make it work like older versions. The Start screen is better than the Start menu anyway...

Heck, I find Metro useful even on my desktop.

wainuitech
20-07-2014, 11:27 AM
Using Windows 8.1 Update on both my desktop and tablet, and have no intention, or need, to make it work like older versions. The Start screen is better than the Start menu anyway...

Heck, I find Metro useful even on my desktop. Agree with that statement fully :thumbs:

I have them setup so the desktop has a few icons that get used all the time, on the start screen are other icons that are for programs I use every so often, but not all the time. Any of the "metro" default apps that I dont use are in the submenu.

If you need to go into the old style start menu - (lets be honest here how often do you unless you have icons there which can easily be put in a easier place like the desktop,) If I need to get to the control panel for example its a simple right click.

I kept a record a while back as a test, I asked customers who I visited, if they actually used the start menu apart from clicking start/shutdown. Out of 38 people I asked only 1 used other options in the old style menu. Theres nothing you cant do with the new start menu that you can do on the old.(just a little different)

So the question to those who complain its not there: WHAT do you actually use the old menu for ( and be precise). ?

dugimodo
20-07-2014, 12:06 PM
I mainly use the desktop and haven't found much use for the modern UI apps but I am perfectly happy using the start screen when it's needed. I am not trying to make it look or act like 7 in any way.
I do find I have more desktop shortcuts than I ever used to but that's no big deal. I did initially like the movie app for streaming HD movies but it's had issues a couple times and I'm wary of it now (one movie I paid to watch refused to work and I ended up pirating it to see it - easier than figuring out who to contact)

I've never liked an overly cluttered desktop, I find too many icons on the desktop for me turns into a confusing mess I can't find anything in. So I personally did use the start menu quite a lot to access all my less frequently used programs but I find the new start screen and all apps menu does the same job well enough so I'm not one of the haters.

Most of the things I personally disliked about 8 was fixed by 8.1 and the rest was sorted by time and familiarity and a bit of customising. I wouldn't go back to 7 now. MS are supposedly rushing windows 9 out sometime early next year so odds are pretty good 8 will go down in history as another one of their failures because it's not going to be around long enough for people to get over their dislike of it. I think that's a shame because it's nothing like the buggy crap that is millennium or the first 6 months of Vista and doesn't deserve to be lumped in with them. The issues with 8 are about preference and not stability or speed etc.

People have short selective memories but they sometimes hang on to bad experiences. When XP came out it was full of bugs and quite different to use from 98/98SE. It was widely disliked and people refused to upgrade to it meaning windows 98 enjoyed a very long run as the OS of choice. Of course the issues were fixed, people got used to it, and now it's remembered as one of MS's best OS versions along with 98 that it replaced. I think given time and a bit of tweaking 8 could have been the same. What will probably happen is 9 will tone down the new UI enough for most and people will learn to love it not realising it's very much like 8, the way Vista and 7 are practically identical to use but people hate one and love the other.

wainuitech
20-07-2014, 01:51 PM
I've never liked an overly cluttered desktop, I find too many icons on the desktop for me turns into a confusing mess I can't find anything in. :waughh: Hands up how many times have people who service PC's go to someone's place and the desktop has so many Icons it takes a good few minutes just to find the one you want :D

That's about the only time I'll use the start menu on the older OS's to get to the Computer Icon. Been more than once on W8 /8.1 they I've had to right click the desktop / change icons - untick "Computer" just to see where it disappears from, then put it back ;)

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2014, 02:26 PM
I've seen a lot of messy desktops using teamviewer. I put most of mine on the taskbar (about 9-10 of them). I use a small program called windows shortcut arrow editor to remove the arrows. The only icons on the desktop here, are the Office icons

pcuser42
20-07-2014, 03:14 PM
My desktop only has five permanent icons (being my user folder, This PC, Network, Recycle Bin and a shortcuts folder) - my tablet doesn't have the folder. Anything else on the desktop is temporary :D

gary67
20-07-2014, 04:19 PM
I don't have an issue with the lack of a start menu just the retarded app screen on a desktop

Lawrence
20-07-2014, 07:03 PM
The thing about Windows 8.1,you can make it anything you want.

As it has matured it has become more usable especially on the Desktop and will be further enhanced by the look of it in the coming Windows 9

curly
20-07-2014, 09:12 PM
Using 8.1 .1 with WMC, on 2 computers here. Inc the one I just finished building. Both have Start8 on them, so I have a menu

Is Windows 8.1 .1 an update ? I am using 8.1, but have not heard of 8.1.1 before and certainly not seen it as an update. I might be missing out on something !

wainuitech
20-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Is Windows 8.1 .1 an update ? I am using 8.1, but have not heard of 8.1.1 before and certainly not seen it as an update. I might be missing out on something ! The update to 8.1.1 has been out for a short while now, it comes through the normal windows updates. They have actually been putting out sections of it automatically. One way to check, run windows update manually, anything available will show.

To do that, go into the control Panel, Windows update - Check for updates ( even if it says its upto date) The new start menu ( old style) is NOT part of 8.1.1

pcuser42
20-07-2014, 09:44 PM
8.1.1 is not the real name, the real name is Windows 8.1 Update :)

Digby
20-07-2014, 10:57 PM
Some great replies guys.

I must admit that I only got 8.1 as I was building a new PC (new case, mbd and cpu etc) so I thought I may as well get 8.1
Also I have a few friends that I help out with and they are on 8 and 8.1 laptops etc, so I thought I'd better get used to it.

It does boot up and shut down much faster. (and there is that back arrow to your previous folder)
But aside from that I have not found any real benefit for me as I am not into apps (at this stage).

So at this stage I am using the desktop with all of my old icons.
But I think that over the next few months I will try use the Start Screen so that when 9 comes out I will be up to speed with it.

(PS I think XP was not liked when it first came out as many machines did not have enough RAM for it and many pieces of hardware did not have up to date drivers) so it was not really XP's fault.

Speedy Gonzales
20-07-2014, 11:05 PM
And, if youre still on 8.1 you wont get any more updates unless you install the update

pcuser42
20-07-2014, 11:06 PM
(PS I think XP was not liked when it first came out as many machines did not have enough RAM for it and many pieces of hardware did not have up to date drivers) so it was not really XP's fault. Same with Vista ;)

dugimodo
21-07-2014, 09:02 AM
(PS I think XP was not liked when it first came out as many machines did not have enough RAM for it and many pieces of hardware did not have up to date drivers) so it was not really XP's fault.

Also it had steeper requirements than 98SE which was very popular at the time and did not perform as well so gamers in particular avoided it. And it introduced some DRM features and security changes that people were wary of.
But the big similarity to windows 8 in my opinion was just that it was different and people don't like change for changes sake, there was a lot of bad feedback until people got used to it.
It did have a lot of driver and compatibilty issues as it dropped DOS which was still part of the 95/98 family so a lot of old software didn't run.

Agent_24
22-07-2014, 08:28 PM
I for one have had enough of ALL U.S. corporates dictating to me what I want as my "technology experience".

Good idea.

Nick G
22-07-2014, 09:54 PM
I know I'm opening up a whole new can of worms here, but...:D

What's your current distro of choice?

Digby
23-07-2014, 06:47 AM
I know I'm opening up a whole new can of worms here, but...:D

What's your current distro of choice?

Any one that features a forum that stops people going way off topic.

autechre
23-07-2014, 11:15 AM
As an aside - Update 2 is coming very soon:
http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-81-update-2-said-to-arrive-on-august-12th

Nothing major in it though.

On topic:
I have 8.1 installed on one of my PCs and barely use the metro screen at all. My most used programs are either pinned to the taskbar or have shortcuts on the desktop. Others I might start using Start / Run.
It did take a while sometimes to stop the metro apps trying to take over opening various files - but I think I've knocked them on the head :D

SolMiester
30-07-2014, 03:41 PM
Using 8.1 at work with 'startisback'....cost 3.50NZD!