PDA

View Full Version : Email programs

ianhnz
17-07-2014, 10:46 PM
Hi guys.

I currently have Windows Vista and use Windows mail, for our email.

I'm looking at removing Vista and either going for Windows 7, or Linux.

To help this process I thought I'd try and setup Mozilla Thunderbird.

Setting up the email address was so easy, but, can't work out how to transfer the address book and if I can set it up to read the existing emails.

When I go into the program it's ask to copy from Outlook, Outlook Express on Eudora.

Any advise is greatly apprecialed?

Ian

lakewoodlady
17-07-2014, 11:00 PM
In your address book on vista mail, you should be able to go to File/ Export address book as WAB. Save it to your documents and then Import to whatever your email client is.

LL

wainuitech
17-07-2014, 11:09 PM
See if you can export the Address book to CSV.

CSV is a file format that any even half decent Mail program will read.

These instructions are from MS forum, cant check as I dont have any Vista PC's.

1. Open Windows Contacts by clicking the Start button , clicking All Programs, and then clicking Windows Contacts.

2. On the toolbar, click Export, and then click one of the following formats:

• CSV (Comma Separated Values). This is a generic file format used for exporting or importing information to and from databases or spreadsheets.

• vCard (folder of .vcf files). This format is used by many other programs. It is typically the best format to use when sharing contacts with someone who is using an earlier version of Windows or who is using a different operating system.

3. Click Export, select a folder where you want to store your contacts in the new format, and then click OK.

4. When a message appears telling you that the contacts export process has completed, click OK, and then click Close.

Thunderbird should be able to import it - if it cant it may need a plugin to perform some functions. ;)

ianhnz
18-07-2014, 10:26 AM
See if you can export the Address book to CSV.

CSV is a file format that any even half decent Mail program will read.

These instructions are from MS forum, cant check as I dont have any Vista PC's.

Thunderbird should be able to import it - if it cant it may need a plugin to perform some functions. ;)

Thank you.

Address book done, now can I get it to see all my saved emails?

Renegade
18-07-2014, 12:50 PM
This might work: https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/switching-thunderbird#w_importing-windows-mail-messages

Or Mailstore Home, there's a lot of mucking around though.

wainuitech
18-07-2014, 01:36 PM
Thank you.

Address book done, now can I get it to see all my saved emails?What I've had to do in the past, and its because Thunderbird doesn't want to play nice ;)

Export the mail from Live mail (method 1 - Part 1) http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2008/02/14/moving-messages-from-vistas-windows-mail-to-windows-live-mail/ -- open the folders, navigate to get to the required mail folder, Eg inbox, you'll see all the mails with numbers & letters .eml ( now the fun part) :D Open thunderbird, arrange TB and the Mail folder so you can sit them side by side or slightly on top of one another, select the mail which will be .eml files, simply drag and drop them into Thunderbird, they should copy across, all names / Heading should appear as the originals.

Repeat for any other folders you may have made.

ianhnz
18-07-2014, 05:09 PM
Sorry, Renegade and wainuitech, but none of those worked as I'm using Windows mail..

wainuitech
18-07-2014, 05:32 PM
Sorry, Renegade and wainuitech, but none of those worked as I'm using Windows mail.. What didn't work ? The exporting or the transferring. ?

I currently have Windows Vista and use Windows mail

The link provided above is for exporting the mail from within Vista's Windows Mail-- Again, in pictures --- http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/4905/backup-windows-mail-messages-and-contacts-in-vista/

ianhnz
18-07-2014, 06:00 PM
I still trying to import my mail messages, from Microsoft Mail, to Thunderbird.
Using the info, in the link above, I've backed up all the messages to a folder, on another drive but can find no way of telling Thunderbird about the folder.

Renegade
18-07-2014, 06:50 PM
Got the import/export tools addon? That might do the trick. https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/

wainuitech
18-07-2014, 06:53 PM
I still trying to import my mail messages, from Microsoft Mail, to Thunderbird.
Using the info, in the link above, I've backed up all the messages to a folder, on another drive but can find no way of telling Thunderbird about the folder. What happens when you open the actual email folders, and drag the .eml files as Suggested ?

Thunderbird often Needs plugins to do basic things like importing /backing up.

The plugin that can be used is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/ but the drag and drop works easier ( normally) Just another reason I personally hate TB - Its not good for doing some basic tasks other email clients can do. ( to much fluffing about)

I'm looking at removing Vista and either going for Windows 7, or Linux.
What OS are you using Windows or Linux, as there can be a huge difference when suggesting programs /fixes.

ianhnz
18-07-2014, 10:58 PM
What happens when you open the actual email folders, and drag the .eml files as Suggested ?

Thunderbird often Needs plugins to do basic things like importing /backing up.

The plugin that can be used is https://addons.mozilla.org/en-US/thunderbird/addon/importexporttools/ but the drag and drop works easier ( normally) Just another reason I personally hate TB - Its not good for doing some basic tasks other email clients can do. ( to much fluffing about)

What OS are you using Windows or Linux, as there can be a huge difference when suggesting programs /fixes.

Nah, can't access email pages. Comes us and can only select Outlook, which I've never used. Down load a program that was suggested, but can't access that neither.
I give up and goto bed.

wainuitech
18-07-2014, 11:29 PM
Nah, can't access email pages. Comes us and can only select Outlook, which I've never used. Down load a program that was suggested, but can't access that neither.
I give up and goto bed. Dont know if reading the reply correctly, but you dont use any of Tbirds settings to import - its a useless at importing other programs mails.

As long as the mail has exported out OK from Windows Live, you will see a folder structure similar to below, its a customers Live mail I've saved earlier today as an example, the saved folder is on an external drive:

In the above, I would open the clear.net ---- you dig down through the folders you will see them all, in this case I'm opening "inbox" and there are all their mails:

Are you getting similar ?

Note: the pic's above are showing as Outlook Icons because This PC has Office 2013 Which has outlook.

ianhnz
19-07-2014, 11:27 AM
As I've been saying, I'm using Windows Mail, as per Vistas program.
I've found the folders, but when I click, on them, says they is empty.
Think I best just remove Thunderbird, as a waste of time and effort.
Thanks for the import

diddums
31-07-2014, 12:09 AM
I use Eudora 7, and have an XTRA account. Xtra have said that I need to set my SMTP from smtp.xtra.co.nz to send.xtra.co.nz before 30 September otherwise I won't be able to send from Eudora. I change the settings and find the new setting doesn't work. I could change to Outlook and use my Money to buy the full product, but don't want to do this plus the hassle of transferring all my contacts and address book. I tried to email Telecom they said they do not answer emails so i would need to ring them on their 0800 number, and they will take forever and a day to answer the phone. When I try send.xtra.co.nz the program says Could not connect to send.xtra.co.nz. Cause: connection timed out (10060). How can I fix this with Eudora, please, as I don't want to spend all day waiting for Telecom's phones to be answered.

Speedy Gonzales
31-07-2014, 09:17 AM
Change it to SSL and port 465 with authentication. See if that works Diddums

31-07-2014, 10:40 AM
As I've been saying, I'm using Windows Mail, as per Vistas program.
I've found the folders, but when I click, on them, says they is empty.
Think I best just remove Thunderbird, as a waste of time and effort.
Thanks for the import

Seriously, save yourself alot of future grief. Just just Outlook from now on . (thats Outlook, not Outlook express)
Its the easiest ever program move its email one pc to another , and unlike other MS email programs, it doesnt get discontinued every other year .
Only disadvantage is flackey imap support.