PDA

View Full Version : Wireless security

linw
17-07-2014, 03:58 PM
Another thread on the topic. Just had a circus with wireless connectivity problems between an 8 yr old laptop, an 8 yr old modem router and an Ipad.

Talk about mess around. But the funny thing is, the Belkin modem/router was bought at the same time as the laptop in Jan 2009 and they have worked together until just lately. Found the laptop would connect with no security so fiddled with the sec settings and got the laptop connected once more. Then we found their Ipad had now lost contact and wouldn't connect!!!!! My cellphone wouldn't connect, either.

So, after another fiddle, ended up with WPA/WPA2 and TKP/AES but it still wouldn't work until I changed the b&g setting to g only. Then everything connected. Still got fingers crossed.

I updated the laptop Atheros ar928x dvr and the Gelkin firmware (still 2007 date!) but these didn't really do anything noticeable.

After all that, I would like opinions about new modems. Are they inherently better at sorting these issues? I am going to buy a new modem for the owner of this 'mess' and just hope it will be more reliable, and less picky, at connecting to a range of wireless clients.

CliveM
17-07-2014, 04:06 PM
Have a look at Chill's blog. He has done some fairly extensive research and gives good advice on modems.

Webdevguy
17-07-2014, 04:31 PM
This article may help
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3304

linw
17-07-2014, 04:32 PM
My query is aimed at the possible differences/improvements in wireless connectivity over the last seven or so years. The downright fragility outlined above is not something I want to repeat.

Not really asking about specific modems at this stage.

linw
17-07-2014, 04:35 PM
This article may help
http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3304

Thanks for the ref. The Ipad really wasn't the big issue as there were issues with a Vista laptop and Android phone as well!

Chilling_Silence
17-07-2014, 05:04 PM
There was a lot of "ironing out" of the Wireless specifications, routers shipping N-Wireless that shouldn't have, things like that.

Anyways, go for a DrayTek DV130 in tandem with something like the TP-Link TL-WR941ND and pop Gargoyle on it :)

linw
17-07-2014, 11:42 PM
Yea, seven years ago is a long time ago in modem standard setting. At least a new modem will have N that the Ipad can use! (Pretty sure the old laptop doesn't have that).

When I had the offending laptop here it went straight on the Genius with no hassles but not my ASUS 520GU until I set it to b&g. Weird.

Quite a fan of the open source router software after my success with a guest login using DD-WRT on a cheapie TP.

Cheers and thanks, guys.