PDA

View Full Version : Setting up ZoneAlarm Pro

15-12-2001, 11:41 PM
I recently installed ZoneAlarm. Disabled annoying popups. Changed the local & internet settings to the highest security. Took the test at grc and hackyourself and it came back with no vulnerabilities. I decided to visit the hackers lounge and gave out my IP address and all of a sudden they started scanning away. This was fine until they told me port 80 & 5000 were open. I didn't want to take the risk so I left the lounge quickly disconnected off my dial up and reconnected to get a new IP then I asked my mate to port scan me. He too found the same results. I was able to stop port 5000 from being detected by setting internet settings to medium and blocking the TCP Port 5000 manually. The culprit for that is Generic Host Process for Win32 Services (svchost.exe)

But my problem is I can't hide port 80 even though I notice it blocking random IPs trying to connect to my HTTP port. But from the scans that were performed at the hackers lounge there was no sign of port 80 (HTTP) or 5000 showing up in the log nor from my mate scanning me.

Any help on configuring ZoneAlarm Pro would be good. Thank you

16-12-2001, 12:31 AM
what os do u have??

a good place to ask would be at grc newgroups. point your news reader to news.grc.com.

16-12-2001, 10:26 AM
Port 80 is used for http taffic so will always be open to the extent of listening for communication.

16-12-2001, 07:17 PM
You don't want to block Port 80 which is the main one used for the web but if you go into ZA, open and go to Security you can customise what is allowed to ping you.

16-12-2001, 08:57 PM
I am running WinXP Pro and the latest ZoneAlarm Pro 2.6.326.

My concern is that even though I am not using my browser or anything that would use port 80 it shows up open. I've tried configuring all my programs only allowing them to use certain ports and still no luck, port 80 will show up in a port scan. My mate used NMap to scan me and also a Windows port scanner both saying that port 80 is open. It's my first time getting someone to scan my computer because I always used GRC and thought I was protected.

I ran an updated virus scanner on my computer to see if I had anything making my computer a web server and it found nothing.

I haven't tried this in Windows 2000 yet. It may come back with different results again.

ZoneAlarm seems to be doing it's job though as it always shows it blocked computers from the HTTP port but when I was port scanned it didn't show port 80 at all in the logs.