PDA

View Full Version : My Alcatel OneTouch seems to have minimal memory

barryk
16-07-2014, 09:17 PM
I bought my Alcatel OneTouch smartphone about 18 months ago to see how it worked. I have since found out that it seems to have minimal memory?? I am unable to download apps onto it. If I try that then it crashes or something like that (due to overloading of the smartphone's memory?).

I find that if I keep the spare memory at least about 10 MB then it does not cause problems.

Is there a way to download apps onto this smartphone and not crash it? Such as onto the SD card or some other kind of expandable memory?

Or is it not possible to increase the memory for adding more apps onto the smartphone? In which case I'd have to look at buying another smartphone that has far more memory that can take many more apps (like 16GB?).

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2014, 09:41 PM
Most cheap smartphones have stuff all internal memory. And that can happen. It runs out if you update apps. Depending on the app, not all apps can be installed on an SD card. And even if you install an SD card, nothing looks at it. Or will install on it.

Unless you're planning on spending like $200+ for something with 4GB of internal memory. Vodafone if you're with them were selling $69-79 smartphones with 4GB of memory. Which was pretty cheap. But if you were with another provider, and you wanted to stay with someone like Telecom, you have to pay $30 to unlock the phone

barryk
16-07-2014, 09:53 PM
Most cheap smartphones have stuff all internal memory. And that can happen. It runs out if you update apps. Depending on the app, not all apps can be installed on an SD card. And even if you install an SD card, nothing looks at it. Or will install on it.

Unless you're planning on spending like $200+ for something with 4GB of internal memory. Vodafone if you're with them were selling $69-79 smartphones with 4GB of memory. Which was pretty cheap. But if you were with another provider, and you wanted to stay with someone like Telecom, you have to pay $30 to unlock the phone

Aha, that explains it, thanks Speedy Gonzales :-) If I want decent smartphone memory, then I'll have to get a smartphone with at least 4GB. I'll have a look around the mobile phone shops to see what's on offer and at what prices.

Speedy Gonzales
16-07-2014, 10:03 PM
I brought an Alcatech too it had stuff all internal ram on it. Got sick of it telling me it had insufficient space to update whatever app, so it went in the bin lol.

Some of the apps (2 of them). on the phone I had did absolutely nothing. So I have no idea why they were there in the first place. And I couldnt uninstall them

It's better to check online for the specs before you decide to go and buy one

Only thing that may fix it is if you root the phone / put an alternate rom on it. So you can delete what you want so it frees up space. But this can be time consuming, if you've never done it before. But depending on what you put on it (if you do do it), some options may not work properly, or some options / functions maybe buggy.

barryk
17-07-2014, 09:57 PM
I wasn't to know that the Alcatel OneTouch had so little memory. It was my first purchase of a smartphone. Next time I buy a smartphone I will make sure it has a lot of memory. I'll see what current smartphones are on offer in the shops soon.

Speedy Gonzales
17-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Look at how much internal memory it has. Dont worry about what size SD cards it can take. That has nothing to do with internal memory

barryk
23-07-2014, 08:30 PM
I had a look at the range of smartphones in the local Two Degrees shop and see that the cheap ones are around $100-100, the medium priced ones around $500 and the top end ones like the Apple IPhone 5S at around $1100. I will keep my OneTouch phone for now but the next smartphone I purchase will definitely need to have a lot more internal memory.