PDA

View Full Version : Installing Office 365

Digby
16-07-2014, 06:47 AM
As advised I purchased Office 365 from a NZ supplier, and as Waiunitech advised it was a card with a Product Code on it.'

Following Waiunitech's advice and the Microsoft instructions I opened a Microsoft account and entered my product key.

It downloaded a very small file and when I double clicked on that it took me to a screen where I had to answer a few questions then click Install.

I did that and then nothing happened, then after a few minutes a window came up that said the installation had failed and that I may need check my internet connection to free up some disk space or check my Firewall.

This was a brand new machine with a 250 gig hard drive and Windows own Firewall.

I tried again as they advised and the same thing happened. (I knew it would)

So I contacted Microsoft and ended up talking to a guy from the Philippines who was very good.

(Their live chat took for ever to get on to)

He seemed to know the problem straight away and asked if he could take over my machine remotely.

I said yes and he did and he cleared out the old installation and then he changed my Internet networking protocols and started the download.

I asked him why he changed my settings and he said that my connection was too slow and that was my it was not working. I am on ADSL broadband. and I think my speed is normally OK.

The downloaded started, but it was very slow, he said it would be and then it would start the major installation.

The first download took about half an hour and the major downland took about 2 hours.

This was OK, but all the time I was worried about it cutting out and me having to phone them again.

After the 2 hours I was able to incomplete the installation and its all OK.

But I have 2 points.

Surely there must be thousand of people like me with ADSL broadband, so why don't they provide a DVD.
Secondly do I need to put my protocol settings back as they were.

I am thinking about phoning my ISP as I have zero knowledge in this area.

CliveM
16-07-2014, 07:57 AM
So long as your connection is working ok for you I would leave it as is.

paulw
16-07-2014, 08:48 AM
Can you buy this on disk from a local supplier??

wainuitech
16-07-2014, 09:14 AM
You cant buy a actual disk for Office 365, its all online. You can buy a Disk for office 2013 though, but of course it will cost more.

The following is my own thoughts so may not be fully correct.

One reason MS don't supply a DVD could be because when its online Only they have the ability to make available the latest versions, so when its installed on a PC (that doesn't come pre installed) theres no loads of updates as well, since a DVD will only be up to date as the day it was produced.
Also since the Home version can be put on 5 devices they control it as it will only allow 5 users. How many times have people tried to put a single user version on multi computers ?

Another reason for No DVD can be because many people believe that optical Drives are no longer needed, you only have to look at newer computers, many don't come with a optical drive, so any software has to either be downloaded or installed via USB.

They may also be working on the idea that the main sales of PC's are from name brand manufactures or custom builders, so they will have the OPK to pre load office in.

Just downloaded the latest office OPK with SP1, it was 2.5GB, that will accept either office 2013 or 365.

As for speed --- Tried as MS suggested to use their BITS downloader - what a mess, slow as a wet week, crashing, stop start :groan: In the end I downloaded it Via the browser as I normally would, came through in a fraction of the time.

Sometimes with speed, even though your own connection is reasonably quick, you are held up by other internet traffic, this applies especially if When downloading Microsoft software is coming from Asia, USA instead of NZ.

16-07-2014, 09:48 AM
This is why I prefer selling the Retail/OEM versions. They come with the CD.
So many times Ive needed to reload various downloaded programs for clients, only to find the client has no records of install keys, the downloaded file is missing/deleted, no records of purchasing the product etc etc

There is no good reason not to supply a CD with Office365, aprt from saving a few $ . They could even supply it on a USB stick for those without CDReaders.
Sure it wont allways be the latest version, but it is the latest version when they buy & install it.

Just as new PC's should all be come with the Windows re-install CD, but dont. Just to save a few $

paulw
16-07-2014, 01:11 PM
Thanx wainuitech. Is a copy of your files kept on your local PC and the cloud at the same time and synced every time you log in??

I suspect the easiest way to install this is to download the iso via Technet and install the 30 day trial and then pay money if you like it..??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh973391

wainuitech
16-07-2014, 07:45 PM
Thanx wainuitech. Is a copy of your files kept on your local PC and the cloud at the same time and synced every time you log in??

I suspect the easiest way to install this is to download the iso via Technet and install the 30 day trial and then pay money if you like it..??

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh973391 Dont think the Technet linked version will work.
Reason -- its different to the consumer version. (365), I suspect it wont change to a home edition / pricing ( could be wrong on that , maybe Nmercer can confirm or not )

When you sign up for the technet trial you have to have one of the following:

2.As part of the Office 365 registration process, you’ll be required to either provide a hosting domain or create an Organizational account with an .onmicrosoft.com domain name.

Its the same setup as per the 1 year free enterprise trail on the Technet subscription page. The Technet linked is the ProPlus version, not the Home.

If you want to try the Home edition you can get it from here: http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/free-trial-try-microsoft-office-2013-and-office-365-products-FX102858196.aspx

As they point out
The first month of your subscription is free, but you do need to provide payment information. You can cancel at any time during the trial period and you won’t be charged.

Meant to be, ( I THINK) but I dont do any syncing, I only use Office 2013 on some PC's ( different to 365) locally, some are still running 2010, all backups / copies saved to my own server. I can upload them to skydrive if I want if I need to have them from other locations.

nmercer
17-07-2014, 10:18 PM
hence the beauty of having that license stored in Office 365. Login with your Microsoft account into Office.com and your license key and Office install is all stored there and can be installed immediately

This is why I prefer selling the Retail/OEM versions. They come with the CD.
So many times Ive needed to reload various downloaded programs for clients, only to find the client has no records of install keys, the downloaded file is missing/deleted, no records of purchasing the product etc etc

There is no good reason not to supply a CD with Office365, aprt from saving a few $ . They could even supply it on a USB stick for those without CDReaders.
Sure it wont allways be the latest version, but it is the latest version when they buy & install it.

Just as new PC's should all be come with the Windows re-install CD, but dont. Just to save a few $

nmercer
17-07-2014, 10:19 PM
if you're using OneDrive / OneDrive for Business, but not just at login, all the time

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/evalcenter/hh973391