PDA

View Full Version : Android TF101 crashing, freezing....

lakewoodlady
14-07-2014, 05:29 PM
Hi,
As above, my Transformer has been crashing and occasionally freezing over the past couple of months. Not just the stock browser, but Chrome and others I have tried all seem to be the same.
I have done a factory reset about three weeks ago and it seemed to help it, but it is doing it again now. It froze and then chucked me out of gmail app twice today!

It is 2 and 1/2 years old now and out of warranty. Is it now just a door stopper or chopping board?
Any helpful suggestions welcome!

Cheers, LL :-)

lakewoodlady
14-07-2014, 05:59 PM
Hi,
As above, my Transformer has been crashing and occasionally freezing over the past couple of months. Not just the stock browser, but Chrome and others I have tried all seem to be the same.
I have done a factory reset about three weeks ago and it seemed to help it, but it is doing it again now. It froze and then chucked me out of gmail app twice today!

It is 2 and 1/2 years old now and out of warranty. Is it now just a door stopper or chopping board?
Any helpful suggestions welcome!

Cheers, LL :-)

Dang, I posted this in the wrong Forum! Sorry, can a Mod please change it?

LL

R2x1
14-07-2014, 08:18 PM
From the Play Store, try Android Assistant. It clears out a bit of crud, and may restore some sparkle.

Speedy Gonzales
14-07-2014, 08:20 PM
Is the firmware on it up to date?

Chilling_Silence
14-07-2014, 09:33 PM
I would also be more inclined to suggest the firmware side of things, checking to make sure it's up to date, or have somebody flash something new / unofficial for you :)

lakewoodlady
15-07-2014, 10:01 AM
I have checked for firmware update and it is up to date. Don't know anything about flashing something, how does one do that?
Thanks R2x1 I might try that App.
LL

Chilling_Silence
15-07-2014, 10:52 AM
What version of Android is it running? What apps have you installed since you wiped it?

Basically, there was an issue on older Android versions pre-Jellybean (4.3) relating to the way they handled the storage (TRIM Support). Installing a Jellybean or KitKat-based firmware would solve that issue and I have a feeling it may be what's causing your problems.

Flashing a custom firmware isn't for the faint hearted, but it's almost always recoverable even if you make a mistake.
http://wiki.cyanogenmod.org/w/Install_CM_for_tf101

I've done it before on my TF101 (back in the day), it wasn't too difficult :)

lakewoodlady
15-07-2014, 12:52 PM
It has version 4.0.3 ICS
Thanks for the link Chill, my motto is "how hard can it be!" Might just give it a try!

LL

GameJunkie
15-07-2014, 02:52 PM
ICS???? oh wow, havent seen that since i got my Galaxy Nexus

Isnt there a Cyanogenmod app for your phone and windows(PC) that streamlines the whole process??

dugimodo
15-07-2014, 04:28 PM
My understanding of the trim issue was it causes the tablets to slow down over time but that it can be fixed by doing a factory reset and data erase, I'm not sure it would be responsible for crashing and freezing issues. I have had issues, particularly on older versions of android, with weird behaviour following a firmware update but that also is usually sorted out by a factory reset.

After a factory reset if you just use the default apps and don't update anything is it stable then? it could be that an update for one of your apps is breaking it's stability with the older android OS as developers are probably not doing extensive testing on that any more. If you could pin it down to one particular update you could avoid it.

Silly thing about all this conjecture is the suggested fix of a custom firmware would still probably be one way to fix it :) It's also possible something is on it's way out hardware wise. I'd start with another factory reset and take it slow with installing apps and updates to see if you can identify a culprit. Otherwise be bold and see what firmware you can get running on it.