PDA

View Full Version : Migrating to new PC

bk T
13-07-2014, 10:16 PM
As my present PC's has developed problems, I'm getting a new PC.

1. Would I be able to use the Win8 Pro Key (bought it cheap @$20 during the initial promo) to install and activate it?

2. Would I be able to use a Win 8.1 install DVD to install (with the $20 key), if I have the Win8.1 install DVD - that will save me lots of time upgrading it.

3. Possible (where?) to download a copy of Win8.1 free online?

Thanks.

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2014, 10:21 PM
If it doesnt work ring the free MS #. The Win 8.1 key should work with the key you have. Altho, you may have to use the generic install key to install it. Then use the valid key to activate it

bk T
13-07-2014, 10:36 PM
I only have Win8 Pro key, can I use this key (win8 Pro) to install Win8.1 if I have the install DVD?

Otherwise, I'll have to run and install all the updates, and then upgrade it to 8.1.

Where can I download a copy of Win8.1?

bk T
13-07-2014, 10:38 PM
I only have Win8 Pro key, can I use this key (win8 Pro) to install Win8.1 if I have the install DVD?

Otherwise, I'll have to run and install all the updates, and then upgrade it to 8.1.

Where can I download a copy of Win8.1?

wainuitech
13-07-2014, 10:53 PM
You cant install W8.1 directly with a W8 Key, as Speedy mentioned you have to use a default / preinstall key, then once up and running, change the product key to W8, then it usually activates OK.

The Windows 8.1 installer from the ISO does not accept Windows 8 keys. You need to install the system with a generic key (334NH-RXG76-64THK-C7CKG-D3VPT for Core, XHQ8N-C3MCJ-RQXB6-WCHYG-C9WKB for Professional) and then enter your Windows 8 key after installing.

Note to moderators: these are not usable Windows keys. They are embedded in Windows itself as a placeholder default key and do not let you activate.

NOTE: if those keys wont work, try the default keys for ADK installs ( NOTE2) THESE WONT activate - so dont try.

Click on Default product key Tab.http://www.microsoft.com/oem/en/installation/downloads/Pages/Windows-8-ADK.aspx#fbid=Xt7LcoxZVxg

As for downloading 8.1, theres no legal direct downloads unless you have a Technet /MSDN subscription, but you can get it from microsoft in a two step process - described http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

bk T
14-07-2014, 12:31 AM
As for downloading 8.1, theres no legal direct downloads unless you have a Technet /MSDN subscription, but you can get it from microsoft in a two step process - described http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-download-the-official-microsoft-windows-8-1-iso/

Is it OK to follow yr link and download the 8.1 iso from my present 8.1 PC?

Anyway, looks like there is no shortcut to change over.

Or, maybe I could just plug my present 8.1 HDD in to the new PC and try my luck, see whether it picks up all the drivers and of course, activating it, too.

wainuitech
14-07-2014, 10:18 PM
Is it OK to follow yr link and download the 8.1 iso from my present 8.1 PC?

Anyway, looks like there is no shortcut to change over.

Or, maybe I could just plug my present 8.1 HDD in to the new PC and try my luck, see whether it picks up all the drivers and of course, activating it, too.

Not to sure with the download link / host OS. From memory it looks at what you have, and then lets you download the correct ISO, Eg: X86 or X64. ( FROM MEMORY) it wouldn't allow you to download a W8 if W8 was already the host OS.

I did try this morning on a W7, BUT it wouldn't download, just pops up with a windows saying "We can't connect right now...Check your Internet connection and try again" The internet was working fine.

Re just changing HDD to new Hardware -- sometimes it works other times it doesn't, had plenty of Blue Screens, or more to the point crashes on startup when trying that, even on W8 & W8.1.

You can also sometimes run into old driver problems.

linw
15-07-2014, 10:53 AM
Worth trying the old HDD on the new hardware. I've had 2 out of 2 work fine. The latest was a Vista drive with all new hardware. Vista worked like a champ and went about its business loading dvrs etc!

If you take an image beforehand you will have an escape route.

If you have a new HDD for the new machine, clone the old to the new and restart.

Good luck.

bk T
15-07-2014, 11:52 AM
Thanks guys.

Lawrence
15-07-2014, 12:25 PM
What about "sysprep" http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/hh825084.aspx

Have not done myself but someone here must know a bit about it and know if this can be used in bk T's scenario

pctek
15-07-2014, 04:14 PM
Wainuitech:

http://www.wilderssecurity.com/threads/how-to-move-windows-xp-hard-disk-to-a-different-computer-or-motherboard-without-bsod.262885/

I have done the HAL thing before, had one stubborn new MB swap where I used the same HDD....not exactly the steps they say above, I can't remember exactly what I did now, but it worked no problem. It was Win7.

wainuitech
15-07-2014, 06:53 PM
One thing that didn't work was putting a Current W8 install which has a motherboard with UEFI, to one that doesn't. Tried it today on a persons PC that has a less just over 1 year old PC, the Hard Drive which was imaged simply failed to do anything due to the UEFI hidden boot option/partition. Couldn't change anything either as the board doesn't have the UEFI option.

bk T
15-07-2014, 11:19 PM
What about from an older MB without UEFI (my current PC) to a new PC with UEFI (I assume most new PCs are with UEFI)?

wainuitech
16-07-2014, 10:20 AM
What about from an older MB without UEFI (my current PC) to a new PC with UEFI (I assume most new PCs are with UEFI)? Try it and see, theres no positive answer when doing a swap over like that.

BUT as Linw posted in #8, make a backup image first, just in case.

Depending on how much data is on the drive, it may be quicker ( and safer) to simply install W8, then upgrade to 8.1, then put the data & programs back, or see if you can download the ISO form the previous links.