PDA

View Full Version : How does Office 365 yearly sub work - actually

Digby
13-07-2014, 08:54 AM
The other day I ordered an Office 365 yearly sub from an Auckland supplier.

I needed it in a hurry for my new build.

I thought it was a good deal as the version to buy outright with Access (which I really need) is over $600.

So I will be better off for the next 6 years !

What I would like to know is what will I get on the courier.

And what happens at the end of the year ?

Does my Office stop working till I pay Micros$ft.

How and when do I get updates ?

Speedy Gonzales
13-07-2014, 10:25 AM
Depends on the version (http://office.microsoft.com/en-nz/buy/compare-microsoft-office-products-FX102898564.aspx)

wainuitech
13-07-2014, 11:15 AM
What I would like to know is what will I get on the courier.

And what happens at the end of the year ?

Does my Office stop working till I pay Micros$ft.

What you'll get is a card with a Product Key.

What I suggest if you dont already have one, make a Windows Account from Outlook.com ( this will give you a MS email address which you'll need) If you already have one, then you're fine.

You will need to either download or load in a copy of Office, you can download it from MS, or let it do it by itself in the following.

On the card will be an Office address, sign in with the email Address you have/made, you enter in the product key, then you will need to fill out some personal details, it will download and install.

Normally I install it Via the OPK ( dealers Preinstallation) -- But if you go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/support/download-install-upgrade-activate-FX104030054.aspx It s all there.

WARNING: while its installing, you'll get a message saying you can use it, but not all features will be available - Dont believe that, let it finish /completely install.

At the end of the year ( or near it) you will get a email as well as messages from Office saying your subscription is due, as long as you pay it again before the expiry date it will carry on working.

For users with an Office 365 Home Premium subscription, as the expiration date of that subscription approaches, users will receive notifications inside the Office applications and via e-mail to remind/nag users about the approaching expiration date.

Once the subscription expires, the Office apps will enter a "read-only reduced functionality mode." This means users will be able to view or print documents, but won't be able to create any new documents or edit existing documents. Updates as per normal. Couple of good things about the Home - its got a 5 user licence, which is the Professional version. When new versions come out, Eg: lets say in a year or so, as long as your subscription is current you'll get any upgrades as part of it, so you wont be stuck with a old version. No Idea if its an option to allow an upgrade to a new version, as there hasn't been one yet :)

Digby
13-07-2014, 02:47 PM
@Wainuitech

Wow!
Thanks for the very detailed reply.

nmercer
14-07-2014, 11:48 AM
Personally I've never ever had a problem with using Office 2013 while the Click 2 Run install is happening in the background, I've done this loads of times on Win7/8/8.1

What you'll get is a card with a Product Key.

What I suggest if you dont already have one, make a Windows Account from Outlook.com ( this will give you a MS email address which you'll need) If you already have one, then you're fine.

You will need to either download or load in a copy of Office, you can download it from MS, or let it do it by itself in the following.

On the card will be an Office address, sign in with the email Address you have/made, you enter in the product key, then you will need to fill out some personal details, it will download and install.

Normally I install it Via the OPK ( dealers Preinstallation) -- But if you go to http://office.microsoft.com/en-001/support/download-install-upgrade-activate-FX104030054.aspx It s all there.

WARNING: while its installing, you'll get a message saying you can use it, but not all features will be available - Dont believe that, let it finish /completely install.

At the end of the year ( or near it) you will get a email as well as messages from Office saying your subscription is due, as long as you pay it again before the expiry date it will carry on working.

Updates as per normal. Couple of good things about the Home - its got a 5 user licence, which is the Professional version. When new versions come out, Eg: lets say in a year or so, as long as your subscription is current you'll get any upgrades as part of it, so you wont be stuck with a old version. No Idea if its an option to allow an upgrade to a new version, as there hasn't been one yet :)

CYaBro
14-07-2014, 01:16 PM
Question for you nmercer, how come the retail copies of Office 2013, that are installed from the DVD, also appear to use click 2 run?

wainuitech
14-07-2014, 01:25 PM
Personally I've never ever had a problem with using Office 2013 while the Click 2 Run install is happening in the background, I've done this loads of times on Win7/8/8.1 I've had a couple of problems with it not opening, especially if its not preinstalled, like in this case. The ones that did have it preinstalled took so long to open Word ( as an example) it was obvious it was doing something in the background. Easier to wait, only takes a few minutes.

Then once installed, go into the options and change that discussing WHITE to one of the grays ;) Who's the colour blind designers in MS who left out the colour ? That default White is to hard on the eyes :yuck: