PDA

View Full Version : New system build won't start up

Digby
12-07-2014, 02:24 PM
Hi Guys

Over the years I have built a few systems for myself and a few friends.

This morning, I just put a new system together and I am having trouble getting it to show anything on the screen.

The screen comes up with "DVI no signal input"

I have not put the case sides back on, as I like to look at everything before I close the case.

I have a Windows 8 CD in the drive and that light goes on and I can hear a few sounds from it.

I have a SSD C drive.

I do notice that the CPU fan starts then stops for a few seconds and then starts again.

There are no audible beeps.

Any suggestions ?

I will post the full specs shortly.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 02:34 PM
Is the DVI onboard or is it a separate videocard? Have you tried another video input?

If it doesnt have a speaker, you wont hear any beeps

I think thats normal for the CPU fan to do that it does the same thing here

Digby
12-07-2014, 02:43 PM
The Specs are

Motherboard Gigabyte GA970
CPU AMD FX 6350
RAM GSkills 8GB
Graphics Card Gigabyte GT740 (with DVI, D Sub and HDMI ports) I am using the DVI.

The motherboard does not have onboard graphics.

I have not connected the speaker yet (I never know who to do that)

The fan on the Graphics card is going.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 02:50 PM
One reason it wont turn on / post. The BIOS that's on it doesn't support the CPU you've installed. Do you know WHICH GA970 you've got?

Is it the GA970A-D3? UD3? I cant see any mobos with GA970 in it, all of them are GA970A's

Digby
12-07-2014, 03:16 PM
Dur
I just noticed that my graphics card needed a power supply connected to it!

Did that and its now working and I am in the process of installing Windows 8.1

Will report back soon.

Thanks Speedy.

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 03:23 PM
Sweet!

Digby
12-07-2014, 03:47 PM
Great, its all up and running with Windows 8.1

Now I have just got to install my drivers and software, which will be a big job.

I have all my data on a hard drive which I will be installing as a D drive. So that will be easy.

I want to complete the assembly of this PC in a professional way, with all the cables tidy etc and everyhting connected that should or could be connected.

So I will ask for some more help in the next few days.

Do any of you have a list of hardware type things that you do for a new build ?

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 04:00 PM
Would have been better if you did the cables before you installed windows on it. I'm doing a build too atm. It depends what the case is, on how good the cable management will be. Havent got mine going yet. Still have to get the ram and replacement cables for the modular PSU. Before (hopefully) it works

Hardware type things like? Only things that'll be in my build will be a 250GB Samsung SSD, the DVD, and the mobo. May chuck another SSD in later, and since there's a cage for 2 3.5's I may put 2 1 TB's in it later

Only thing with my case is, it's MATX, so wont take an ATX mobo. And it's only got 1 5.25 bay in it for the DVD. Only got it for the cable management. Most (not much) of the cables are on the side of the case, along with the SSD

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 04:10 PM
This is what mine looks like, so far. One reason why I brought a modular PSU. Not so many cables. Only cables I've plugged in are the 24 pin / EPS. May replace the 24 pin with a flatter / more flexible cable next week

Digby
12-07-2014, 04:12 PM
I mean little things, like thew second installed fan in the case - should I connect it up to the motherboard SYSFAN2 connector or should I use a molex connector ?

Should I bother to push all the unwanted case cable back though the rubber grommet holes so they are out of the way.

I bought a Coolermaster Cosmos SE case with a side window and carry handles.
I am rapt with it so far.

Should I buy an extra Sata cable for my Seasonic G550 semi modular power supply or wrestle with the two that come with it.
(They do not really give you enough space between each connector it only 120mm, if they made 150 you would be able to use them easier and turn them which way you want.

Digby
12-07-2014, 04:14 PM
I bought one of those Samsu 840 EVO 250 gig drives.

First time I have ever seen or used an SSD.

Its so tiny!

Cant wait to see how fast it is when using Office and copying files etc.

Digby
12-07-2014, 04:17 PM
I think I'll start a new thread (seeing as how I got my pc up and running)

Then I post a pic of mine (its so messy at the moment) and your pics as well (with your permission.)

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Depends if you want to monitor the speed somehow, you cant if you use a molex connector. It's better to hide the cables if you can. The tidier it is at the front the better. Still have to get 2 fans here.

May change the back 80mm fan. And change it for a 4 pin pwm fan. Since, there's 2 4 pin connectors besides the CPU fan. And umm put two 120mm on the side of the case, so they're blowing inwards to keep things cool. Altho there's stuff all in the case to cool at the mo lol

Depends if there's anything else in the case that needs the SATA cable. If not don't connect it yet. Yup you can post mine. I may get some foam too and make my own grommets up ... Looks easy enough to do. Hide the wires going to the side of the case

Speedy Gonzales
12-07-2014, 04:25 PM
I bought one of those Samsu 840 EVO 250 gig drives.

First time I have ever seen or used an SSD.

Its so tiny!

Cant wait to see how fast it is when using Office and copying files etc.

It'll be a lot faster than the 3.5 hdd's. And it's good that theyre small. Easier to hide, if the case has brackets for 2.5 hdd's. On the pic I posted, there's 3 2.5 brackets (one reason I brought this case, even tho it's only got 1 5.25 bay). One on the side one under the DVD, and one on the bottom in front of the PSU. The cage in the front there, is for 2 3.5 hdd's