PDA

View Full Version : No internet access with TP-Link WR743ND in Wireless AP + Modem

MisfitSkittles
10-07-2014, 07:53 PM
Hey guys Ive posted about the TP-Link WR743ND before and now I must ask again.

Like i mentioned I had an Thomson TG585v2 and the TP-Link Wireless AP/Client router. Well I went and bought a Cisco Linksys x2000 router that has now given up the ghost.

Id like to mention the x2000 was a ADSL2+ modem router combo but due to it dropping the DSL connection I had the Thomson act as the modem like suggested and the x2000 being the access point.

Now i am trying to do the same with the 743nd and out of the reset it works on LAN but cant see it in wireless devices...
It was set to be a WISP client. Im pretty sure I do not want that.

So I select Wireless AP mode, and try that, but on LAN and WLAN I get the yellow exclamation mark and well.. no internet.
Looking at my settings the 743nd is linked via ethernet to the thomson and its connected to WAN like my x2000 would be if it still worked.
In my WAN settings I have set it to Dynamic IP, but the router fails to fetch this. So I also try PPOE but... since Telecom uses PPOA (for the modem) I have no username or password. annnd Static Ip... i have no idea... Using the quick start settings it selects dynamic IP but doesnt assign one.. So

please fellow techsperts, would anyone have information on how to setup this Wireless AP 743ND to work with my Thomson (wireless is disabled), Im pretty sure WISP is not what i need but the Wireless AP instead.

PS, read the manual.. no help

berryb
10-07-2014, 10:05 PM
Do you know the IP address of the Thomson and your computer? Who is your ISP.

My guess would be the Thomson has DHCP disabled and the x200 was enabled. Easiest fix would be to reset the Thomson and as long as you are using Telecom for ISP (and they supplied it) and do not have a static IP allocated by Telecom. This should fix the WAN connection issue on the 743ND that should be in AP mode.

If Telecom not your ISP or they never supplied the Thomson then don't reset yet.

MisfitSkittles
10-07-2014, 11:05 PM
Do you know the IP address of the Thomson and your computer? Who is your ISP.

My guess would be the Thomson has DHCP disabled and the x200 was enabled. Easiest fix would be to reset the Thomson and as long as you are using Telecom for ISP (and they supplied it) and do not have a static IP allocated by Telecom. This should fix the WAN connection issue on the 743ND that should be in AP mode.

If Telecom not your ISP or they never supplied the Thomson then don't reset yet.

Hi thank you for your reply, i am with telecom, dhcp is enabled on the thomson and the ip is 192.168.1.1 however i can only select that in static ip settings, i do not have a static ip with telecom, but the router also fails to find dynamic ip settings... I flashed the 743nd with DDWRT and again, the exclamation mark goes away with WISP But the thing completely locks up when configuring WIRELESS AP MODE, which is a bummer because it needs to reset ill keep trying tomorrow

berryb
11-07-2014, 09:44 PM
So if you plug your computer directly into the Thomson and your computer is set to automatically obtain IP you should have internet. If not issue with Thomson. If you have internet via this method then your computer has got an IP from the Thomson. All good.

Reset the 743ND,set to AP mode and plug the Thomson into the WAN port. Plug your computer into a LAN port of the 743ND. Do you have internet?
If not plug the cable from Thomson into a LAN port of the 743ND. Do you have internet?

If no to both or cannot get AP mode then the 743ND is probably faulty.

Report back.
Cheers