PDA

View Full Version : Any one used one of these Welland hard drive caddies ?

Digby
08-07-2014, 03:40 PM
I like to backup my data to hard drive

But its getting a bit tedious putting a hard drive in and out of my PC and I don't like the external drives you buy at Hardley Normal.

Then I saw this device

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ENCWEL0605&name=Welland-ME-604E-Speed-Master-SATA-6G-to-USB3.0-Doc

Has any one used one

Would they be much slower than having the drive in my PC with a Sata cable ?

It seems to be an elegant solution to my needs.

Webdevguy
08-07-2014, 03:55 PM

But its getting a bit tedious putting a hard drive in and out of my PC and I don't like the external drives you buy at Hardley Normal.

Then I saw this device

http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=ENCWEL0605&name=Welland-ME-604E-Speed-Master-SATA-6G-to-USB3.0-Doc

Has any one used one

Would they be much slower than having the drive in my PC with a Sata cable ?

It seems to be an elegant solution to my needs.
Why don't you like external Hard Drives?
They do backups over wifi.

I have an external drive permanently plugged into my iMac and all the backups are handled by Time Machine :)

Digby
08-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Why don't you like external Hard Drives?

Because I see hundreds of people having probems with them over heating or the circuit board crapping out.

I have about 5 hard drives that I just insert into my hard disk cage and connect with the Sata cables.

dugimodo
08-07-2014, 05:25 PM
I have an older version of that caddy with USB 2.0 and eSATA, does the job but USB 2.0 is a bit slow. I mainly use it for drive cloning and that sort of thing.
If you have USB 3.0 available though the one you linked should be as fast as an internal, USB 3.0 is rated at 5Gbps (I think) so it won't bottleneck a mechanical hdd.

Another option is to buy an external enclosure and put your hdd in it. More convenient and if it ever does fail you can still remove the hdd and install it internally which is not always possible with the pre-built ones. Or maybe not, just noticed you said you have 5 drives you swap out - buy the caddy :)

wratterus
08-07-2014, 05:38 PM
I use one of those almost daily, never given any trouble.

BBCmicro
08-07-2014, 06:03 PM
I have a Welland USB3 and it works fine. Unlike another brand (whose name escapes me but the colour is white) that gave a lot of trouble

But I have to agree with [someone above] that external drives are the best way to go. I've now got 9TB in WD My Passports (and similar in backups). It is very convenient to plug in a USB cable and get the power that way. Power adaptors are a pain

Scubadoo
08-07-2014, 08:08 PM
I have a Welland USB 3.0 dock. It is the double version "Turbo Leopard".

Two 3.5" 2TB drives. Transfer speeds are typically 150MB/s vs 25MB/s on my USB 2.0 equivalent dock.

gary67
08-07-2014, 09:41 PM
I want one

Digby
08-07-2014, 10:14 PM
I want one

Yes I think I'll order one.
They seem to have 2 models one that has space for 2 drives and a faster one with just one drive.

KarameaDave
08-07-2014, 10:32 PM
I have the single drive model, works reliably and fast.
Couldn't ask for more than that I suppose.

pctek
09-07-2014, 08:26 AM

I don't like the external drives you buy at Hardley Normal.

Then I saw this device

What is wrong with external drives? You don't have to shop at HN...you can get various types from various places.

However, I have one of those gadgets........used to use it back when I had the shop. No different from using an external drive via USB as far as speed goes.

Digby
09-07-2014, 09:21 AM
I have told you what I think is wrong with external ard drives.

I have seen hundreds of people have problems with them when they over heat or the circuit boards die.

I don't want to pay for a fancy plastic enclosure and a pretty box and some crappy backup software.

I just buy internal hard drives and install them into my PC as an E drive.

Digby
09-07-2014, 09:22 AM
However, I have one of those gadgets........used to use it back when I had the shop. No different from using an external drive via USB as far as speed goes.

Thanks for the info - very useful