PDA

View Full Version : Most reliable HD - Seagate or Western Digital ?

Digby
08-07-2014, 01:54 PM
I am starting to build a new desktop PC.

I want to get a hard drive for my C drive - Windows and Programs

So I want to get say a 500g or 1TB fast drive.

In your experience which is the most reliable drive ? Seagate or Western Digital ?

Is it worth paying the extra to get one of these Blue or Black or Enterprise drives ? For a home system that gets used a lot.

Speedy Gonzales
08-07-2014, 02:10 PM
Never had a WD. I've got a 1 TB seagate in this at the mo. It's partitioned into 4 partitions. It works fine. If you want something faster get an SSD

wainuitech
08-07-2014, 02:31 PM
Used to use Seagate till they had that firmware problem a few years back, then WD, then changed to what ever was cheaper at the time.

I use WD mainly these days. Much of a much-ness really.

Only problems I've encountered with WD's was once there was a problem with the WD Blacks, had 4 out of 5 brand new drives fail within a month of being put in, and several Blacks in HP manufactured computers fail as well.

Seagates have their problems from time to time as well. If you wanted to spend out more money then the Enterprise drives are the way to go.

WD - blues are general purpose, just stay away from the Greens and Red's. - Reds are NAS drives, haven't tried any Purples ( Yet) Heres a break down of their consumer drives.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/internal/desktop/

BUT what ever you decide, remember one thing - ANY HDD no matter who manufactures it, or what type can fail at any time.

dugimodo
08-07-2014, 03:24 PM
Both are good. Personally if I can't sping for an SSD I go for the Seagate SSHD hybrids, only slighty more than the standard drives to buy but close to SSD performance for boot-up and commonly launched applications. http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=20093

They come in 2.5" and 3.5" - not sure if there's a 500GB version for 3.5" I have one in my laptop and as a data drive in my gaming machine and I'm very happy with them.

BBCmicro
08-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Yes I agree with Wainui that backup is what's important so either Seagate or Western Digital is OK. Personally I've never had a HDD failure (as opposed to me being stupid) but the possibility is the most important factor.

I used to like a hard drive brand [whose name escapes me but I think they were taken over by Seagate] who provided a very good utility for resurrecting a drive

These days I use Western Digital being the first to introduce Advanced Format, 2 TB capacity, etc - but even they can annoying. I have a 1 TB My Passport (USB) that won't spin down if power continues to be supplied by the MB after switch off. I complained but they didn't update the firmware - just brought out a new model. So a black mark against them

My present desktop:
- 120 GB SSD Intel
- 1 TB Western Digital green (scratch drive)
- lots of USB3 portable drives , WD

KarameaDave
08-07-2014, 11:18 PM
Hitachi make the most reliable according to Backblaze
in this article

http://www.extremetech.com/extreme/175089-who-makes-the-most-reliable-hard-drives