PDA

View Full Version : Win8.1 BSOD

bk T
08-07-2014, 10:51 AM

Graphic card: Gigabyte HD4850 512MB GDDR3

MB: Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R-ver 2

Error:

"Your PC ran into a problem and needs to restart. We just collecting some error info and then you can restart (100% complete)

If you'd like to know more, you can search online late for the error: VIDEO_TDR_FAILURE (atikpag.sys)"

I was using Windows driver because I encountered some problem with ati driver (13.1 legacy_vista_win7_win8_64_dd_cc.exe) when using Win8.

This BSOD first happened yesterday and I installed the Beta driver (amd_catalyst_13.4_Beta legacy_win8.exe); everything 'seems' to be working OK the whole day yesterday, but the same BSOD happens again earlier just now.

I know it's quite an old video card but this machine is only for general use, I not prepared to buy a new card unless absolutely necessary.

Having said the above, am I right to narrow down the problem to be the video card?

wainuitech
08-07-2014, 11:30 AM
Try disabling the Catalyst Control Centre, that can cause all sorts of problems. ( The Graphic Drivers will still work fine)

Personally when dealing with ATI Graphics I dont install it (customize options).

bk T
08-07-2014, 11:42 AM
Have uninstalled the Catalyst Control center.
Will see how it goes.

Thanks.

bk T
10-07-2014, 12:01 PM
Uninstalled Catalyst Control center but the problem doesn't go away, sadly.

Reliability report shows the following:

1. 5830

2. 5829

3. 5831

They all pin-pointed to video hardware error.

Does it indicate that my video card is dying, and a new card is unavoidable?

Bryan
10-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Did the card run OK on the previous operating system? Does that MB have on-board graphics?

wainuitech
10-07-2014, 01:18 PM
Those logs would suggest a Card Failing. One test is to run another known good Card, since the Board doesn't have onboard.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2014, 01:28 PM
Yup looks like that stop error can mean the card is faulty. Or if it had onboard video, some people have had probs with the same stop error. And some have reported that stop error can mean there's a driver conflict between the ATI and the Intel video drivers

You can get the same stop error with Nvidia cards

bk T
10-07-2014, 02:00 PM
This MB has no on-board video and I haven't got another 'good' video to try out.

Hard decision to make: whether to get another video card or change the whole system (a complete i5 Haswell, CPU+MB+RAM is around ~$500; with on-board video). Of course getting an entry level video card is much cheaper, but considering the age of my MB (~4yrs old) which has no driver support for Win8- which could be one of the contributing factor to the problem(?)

What I worry is that after buying a new v card and found that the problem is with the MB, then my money is wasted.

Speedy Gonzales
10-07-2014, 02:11 PM
Probably be better if you brought a mobo thats got Win8 drivers. And one with onboard video. It'll save you buying a separate card. Just make sure the CPU supports HD video

bk T
10-07-2014, 09:49 PM
Just found an old 9800GT card in a box in the garage, and have checked with Nvidia that they do have driver for Win8.1 x64.

Will put it in tomorrow and see how's my luck, hopefully it still in good working condition!

wainuitech
10-07-2014, 10:56 PM
Just found an old 9800GT card in a box in the garage, and have checked with Nvidia that they do have driver for Win8.1 x64.

Will put it in tomorrow and see how's my luck, hopefully it still in good working condition! You sure ? Go to http://www.geforce.com/drivers either work through the drop down boxes, or use the auto detect ( needs Java installed.)

OR you can do what I did -- Run windows update, see if it will auto detect the card and download drivers.