PDA

View Full Version : Internet explorerer no longer in my programs??? Please help

angchick
07-07-2014, 03:39 PM
Hello, I am not good with computers at all. I opened up my laptop to get online and my internet explorer icon is missing from desktop along with my firefox icon. I decided to go into programs to find it and it is not showing up in programs either. Does anyone know how I can get it back in my programs. My friend walked me through to see if it was installed on my computer and we found the file folder for internet explorer but it is not in the programs so I have no idea what to do. Please help, I just want to use the internet again.

Thanks,
Angela

dugimodo
07-07-2014, 03:55 PM
What Version of windows ?

If you can find the folder it's installed in and find the executable you can right click on it and chose send to desktop - create shortcut and that'll replace the missing icon.
That may be enough if all that's haapened is the shorcuts are gone.

Do you have anti-virus and anti-malware software and if so which ones?. Might pay to run a full scan.
A system restore back to when it was working may work.

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:05 PM
Hello, I have windows 7 and from what I can tell I do not see the executable, all I see is iexplorer

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:09 PM
I am using malwarebytes free version

dugimodo
07-07-2014, 04:15 PM
Have you tried double clicking the iexplorer to see if it launches? if so that is the executable. Or it might just be the icon file. Try it and see.

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:17 PM
okay, when I click on it, it does open up the internet, but it still does not show in my programs menu, or on my desktop, or on my toolbar.

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2014, 04:18 PM
Go to control panel / programs and features / turn windows features on or off. See if IE is ticked, if it isn't tick it.

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:20 PM
It is showing IE 11 as already ticked. I am so stumped by all of this. I have done nothing to it since last using it. I just shut the laptop and then I went to get back on and this???

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:22 PM
Both of my internet browsers just disappeared, firefox completely, there is not even a file folder for it. However, I care about IE more.

pctek
07-07-2014, 04:32 PM
okay, when I click on it, it does open up the internet, but it still does not show in my programs menu, or on my desktop, or on my toolbar.

That IS internet explorer, just copy it, then paste shortcut onto your desktop.
Same with Firefox, browse WIndows Explorer, find the Mozilla folder, then copy the firefox file, paste shortcut onto desktop.

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
How come in programs it comes up as iexplorer shortcut? Sorry If I sound na´ve, I am not good with these. Also how do I get it to show on my toolbar?

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:44 PM
How do I get it on my toolbar? Forgive me if I sound na´ve, I think something happened because I ran my virus scanner, which was strange because I had to reinstall it for some reason a bunch of stuff came up and it said my internet explorer was corrupted. I wish I could show you the log because I have no idea what any of it means.

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2014, 04:48 PM
Right mouse on iexplorer.exe pin to taskbar. If it says its corrupt untick it in features wait for it to finish then tick it again. Or install teamviewer then give me the ID and password it gives you in a PM. I can check it out from here

angchick
07-07-2014, 04:53 PM
messaged you speedy!

linw
07-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Speedy to the rescue:) Do you have a flying cape, Speedy?? Or underpants on the outside??

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2014, 09:36 PM
lol. Well I disabled SR and did another scan with mbam. Nothing found defragged it, removed the junk with with ccleaner. Did a reboot and defrag with defraggler. Hopefully it's a bit better now

linw
07-07-2014, 10:49 PM
Another good deed done. The citizens of Gotham City can rest easy tonight.