PDA

View Full Version : What speed RAM ?

Digby
07-07-2014, 02:28 PM
Hi guys
I have decided to buy a new motherboard and CPU and RAM.

The motherboard I am going to buy supports DDR3 Ram up to 2000 and 1866 and 1600.

Would you recommend getting the fastest RAM I could afford eg 2000 over say 1600 ?

Does it make much difference for day to day use - Office, Word, File transfer, videos etc - Ie No Gaming.

dugimodo
07-07-2014, 02:45 PM
Whatever is cheaper, or maybe more usefully whatever is the standard speed to match the CPU (check the CPU specs)
No it doesn't make much difference - even for gaming. Having enough RAM is more noticeable than having faster RAM.

Webdevguy
07-07-2014, 02:55 PM
Hi guys
I have decided to buy a new motherboard and CPU and RAM.

The motherboard I am going to buy supports DDR3 Ram up to 2000 and 1866 and 1600.

Would you recommend getting the fastest RAM I could afford eg 2000 over say 1600 ?

Does it make much difference for day to day use - Office, Word, File transfer, videos etc - Ie No Gaming.

Would agree with dugimodo in that having more RAM would be of greater benefit than having fast RAM expecially when it comes to mundane office software. If Office software is slow it's more due to code bloat than because your RAM is too "slow". Videos have a set frame rate at which they play which has nothing to do with RAM speed.

As long as you have a minimum of 4GB of RAM on your machine you should be fine. The main benefit you get from having more than 4GB of RAM on your machine is that you can have more applications open at any given time without putting a strain on resources.