PDA

View Full Version : Acer Aspire One

ianhnz
07-07-2014, 12:02 PM
Hi guys.

Bit of advise, please?

I have anAcer Aspire One Netbook Atom 1.6Ghz/1GB/160G HDD/Webcam/10.1'' Screen, that used to have Windows 7 starter on it.

Had all sorts of problems, with it so ended up formatting and installing Xubuntu 14.04 32 bit on it.

It's running a lot better now, but thinking of selling it and getting something better.

Any idea what sort of price I could try selling it at?

Thought of Trade Me, as don't use other sites, but any advice is appreciated.

Ian

BBCmicro
07-07-2014, 12:41 PM
Selling it might be more trouble than it is worth. Our daughter had one of these - identical except I think it ran XP. Every now and then it would totally die and require a complicated procedure to get it going again - involved downloading a BIOS onto a USB stick (and it might have required a small USB stick which can be hard to find these days)

Unfortunately putting Linux on it might not have solved this problem (assuming it's the model I'm thinking of)

ianhnz
07-07-2014, 12:52 PM
Selling it might be more trouble than it is worth. Our daughter had one of these - identical except I think it ran XP. Every now and then it would totally die and require a complicated procedure to get it going again - involved downloading a BIOS onto a USB stick (and it might have required a small USB stick which can be hard to find these days)

Unfortunately putting Linux on it might not have solved this problem (assuming it's the model I'm thinking of)

I think it may be the same, except operating system and I didn't do anything with Bios.
Was my DIl's and she had problems with it from day one.
I keep telling here to take it back and she did, a few times, but didn't take long for problems to come back.
I worked on it, for a while and gave it back, only to have it returned a short while later.
Can't recall how many times I did a system restore and reload.
I have Linux on it, for over a month now and problem has not returned.
You had to leave it turned on 24/7, as each time it would restart, would fail.
I tried about 4 or 5 different Linux before I settled for Xubuntu 14.04. I even tried a 64 bit version and that seemed okay, but lacking in ram.

Thanks for your comments.
Ian

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2014, 03:02 PM
involved downloading a BIOS onto a USB stick (and it might have required a small USB stick which can be hard to find these days)

Sounds like a corrupt BIOS, if you had to reflash the BIOS all the time.. The other ASUS mobo here, had the same prob with the latest BIOS for it. Every time I turned it on, (if the affected / buggy BIOS was on it), it rebooted / looped continuously. I had to reflash the previous BIOS to fix it

ianhnz
07-07-2014, 03:34 PM
Sounds like a corrupt BIOS, if you had to reflash the BIOS all the time.. The other ASUS mobo here, had the same prob with the latest BIOS for it. Every time I turned it on, (if the affected / buggy BIOS was on it), it rebooted / looped continuously. I had to reflash the previous BIOS to fix it

Hey Speedy.

Guess I'll have to search for Bios, not that I've done a bios update for many a year

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2014, 04:02 PM
That was for BBCmicro's reply not yours. I dont think yours has the same prob. You probably wouldnt get much if Linux is on it. If I brought it, I'd probably re-format it anyway

Driftwood
07-07-2014, 04:21 PM
How much would you accept for it?

ianhnz
07-07-2014, 04:34 PM
How much would you accept for it?

No idea, open to offers?

Driftwood
07-07-2014, 06:01 PM
You might br better trying your luck on TM.
I'd only be looking at it for parts.
What is the battery life?

ianhnz
07-07-2014, 07:33 PM
You might br better trying your luck on TM.
I'd only be looking at it for parts.
What is the battery life?

I normally run on AC power, but when I unplug it says about 6 hours.
Yes I was thinking about Trade Me and was look for a pricing guide, as I have no idea.:rolleyes:

Driftwood
07-07-2014, 08:18 PM
Search expired listings for your model & you will see what they have been going for.

ianhnz
07-07-2014, 09:51 PM
Search expired listings for your model & you will see what they have been going for.

Ok, thanks.