PDA

View Full Version : Connectivity

Agoge
07-07-2014, 10:07 AM
Hi Folks

My wife bought herself an ipad yesterday and I've been attempting to connect it to wifi for her. Unfortunately, I haven't got any further than the ipad asking for my Thomson router's password. I had no trouble at all connecting my new e-reader the other day by using the 'Key' characters on the underside of the router, but that didn't work for the ipad. The router is is a Thomson TG585 vs8. Any suggestions would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Agent_24
07-07-2014, 12:32 PM
I may be wrong but I think the Thomsons and iPads have a known history of disagreement.

Agoge
07-07-2014, 12:43 PM
That's disappointing news! I checked it out online and it seems that you are correct. Should I perhaps purchase a different router. I've been trying for hours to contact Telecom helpline but it looks like they're snowed under with callers.

icow
07-07-2014, 12:57 PM
I remember the iPad 2 (I think?) used to disagree with some routers which were using WEP keys. Try going into the router settings and changing the passkey/password from a WEP to WPA or WPA2. It's vaguely explained here: http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/20349/~/change-wireless-settings---telecom-modems (under encryption)

Agoge
07-07-2014, 01:33 PM
I have done that, and it unfortunately makes no difference. Thanks anyway.

dugimodo
07-07-2014, 02:25 PM
I'd guess a lot of people will suggest replacing the router as the thomsons don't have a good reputation in general but another option might be to simply add a wi-fi access point to a spare port on it if it's otherwise not giving you any trouble.

You may want someone to confirm I'm right but I think that would work. This one is on clearance for $14.89 but I don't know if it's any good http://www.pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=NETMIC9161&name=Micronet-SP916NE-802.11-N300-11n-Wireless-Broadban

Agoge
07-07-2014, 02:41 PM
Yes, I can't say that my router has given me any other sort of problem. For instance, it accepted my Kindle e-reader no trouble at all. I wonder if someone could confirm your suggestion about adding a wi-fi to a spare port? Thanks for your help.

pctek
07-07-2014, 03:37 PM
Yes, I can't say that my router has given me any other sort of problem. For instance, it accepted my Kindle e-reader no trouble at all.

Which to me, says it's not the router that's picky, it's the device.....

Agoge
08-07-2014, 07:32 PM
Which to me, says it's not the router that's picky, it's the device.....

It turned out to be the router after all. :badpc:

Had a very helpful chap at Telecom go into the router remotely and change the password. Problem solved.

Thanks for everyone's help and advice. :)