PDA

View Full Version : xtra email

Driftwood
06-07-2014, 06:57 PM
Has xtra changed their server settings or something lately.
A friend hasent been able to get email for several days.
Had a quick look for him.
Windows live mail on win7.

The connection to the server has failed. Account: '----------', Server: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz', Protocol: POP3, Port: 110, Secure(SSL): No, Socket Error: 10061, Error Number: 0x800CCC0E

All seemed to be correct in account properties, & nothing had been changed for months.

Went to the xtramail site but couldn't get in there either.
Claimed we had the incorrect username or password.

His wife is still able to access the same account on her ipad without any problem.

Have sugested he might have to call xtra for assistance.

Driftwood
06-07-2014, 07:05 PM
Sorry wrong error message.

Unable to send or receive messages for the Xtra.co (---------) account. The connection to the server has failed.

Server: 'pop3.xtra.co.nz'
Windows Live Mail Error ID: 0x800CCC0E
Protocol: POP3
Port: 110
Secure(SSL): No
Socket Error: 10061

Speedy Gonzales
06-07-2014, 07:23 PM
Whats the outgoing email server?? smtp or send.xtra.co.nz?? You can get that error if you're using smtp. smtp cant be used with Windows live mail.

wainuitech
06-07-2014, 07:30 PM
Xtra changed dropped the old 110 /25 setting some time back, you need to reset them to the new secure ones. ( they contacted users several months ago)

http://help.telecom.co.nz/app/answers/detail/a_id/31176/session/L2F2LzEvdGltZS8xNDA0NjI3OTQ3L3NpZC9KNkFYSUFZbA%3D% 3D These work for WLM 2012 as well

Went to the xtramail site but couldn't get in there either.
Claimed we had the incorrect username or password. Nothing unusual there, often its caused by xtra servers playing silly buggers.

Driftwood
06-07-2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks guys.

Outgoing is using send & the security settings have been updated.

Have tryed setting his account up on another system with working email with the same result.
Was wondereing if he was giving me the wrong password, so ran some software on his system which gave me the same username & password.
So it's a bit of a mistery.
I guess his wifes ipad uses a different setup.

wainuitech
06-07-2014, 09:00 PM
If the message is saying invalid password yet the Ipad is working then the IPad has the correct password.

One way to check is call Xtra, get them to try the password at their end ( that you think it is), if it fails, then you either have to reset it on all devices, or remember what it actually is. If it works with Xtra help line, then theres something not right in the settings.

Driftwood
06-07-2014, 09:27 PM
Yeah, Iv'e suggested to the owner that he call xtra. Better him to sit on the phone than me, his problem after all.
If they have to reset the password he won't be popular with swmbo.
She's blaming him for the problem already.

wainuitech
06-07-2014, 10:49 PM
At least they know there is a password ;) Heard it to many times to count,-- E-Mail- Doesn't have a password, it just works :rolleyes:

pctek
07-07-2014, 08:30 AM
At least they know there is a password ;) Heard it to many times to count,-- E-Mail- Doesn't have a password, it just works :rolleyes:

LOL! Yes! As I point out to them, what's to stop anyone logging in to webmail then and reading their mail?

KarameaDave
07-07-2014, 09:18 AM
Then they say 'Webmail! What's that?'

Agent_24
07-07-2014, 12:30 PM
Then they say 'Webmail! What's that?'

And that's what the 'bang head here' mousepad is for.

Driftwood
07-07-2014, 04:27 PM
Just an update to this.
Owner called xtra today.
End result, they reset his password to the same as swmbo's ipad.
Question here is, how could they both have been accessing the same email address with different passwords?
And why did his suddenly stop working?

Agent_24
07-07-2014, 04:35 PM
Question here is, how could they both have been accessing the same email address with different passwords?
And why did his suddenly stop working?

Maybe they weren't. Maybe his got changed somehow. (Malware?)

Speedy Gonzales
07-07-2014, 04:38 PM
Maybe its not a good idea, accessing the same email at the same time? Whats wrong with having 2 email accts?

Driftwood
07-07-2014, 06:09 PM
Could have been malware although nothing much showed up on the scans.

I guess it's up to them if they want to share an account.
Least they've got a backup if one system falls over, like it just did.

linw
07-07-2014, 08:21 PM
Maybe its not a good idea, accessing the same email at the same time? Whats wrong with having 2 email accts?

I know it's none of my business but I also wonder why people don't get their own mail account. No way I want to see my wife's emails and no way does she want to see mine.

I also feel a bit restricted when sending email to joint accounts when I just want to talk to the bloke about blokey things.

Still, everyone to their own.