PDA

View Full Version : SEAGATE SSHD ST4000DX001 4TB 64MB SOLID STATE HYBRID DRIVE SATA3

Bobh
05-07-2014, 02:16 PM
This Solid State Hybrid drive is being advertised here (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21983).

It appears that it combines the attributes of a Solid State and a Hard Drive. I am lead to believe that an SSD drive is best used in a read only environment as constant writing to an SSD drive will wear it out quicker. In other words the SSD is better suited for Operating Systems and programmes. Hard Drives are better suited for data storage.

If I did not already have a 256 Gb SSD drive in my computer I would be very tempted to buy it. I have to wonder if it would be better to move User data off Drive C: where the operating system is so that my SSD is not being constantly written to.

dugimodo
05-07-2014, 06:16 PM
For normal home use you will not wear out your SSD, or at least it's very unlikely. Even for data storage most people typically read the data a lot more than write it. I've had a SSD in my system for over a year and a health check diagnostic still says it has 100% of it's lifespan left, or to put it another way I haven't used 1% of the write cycles yet.

I have a 1TB version of that hybrid drive as my D: drive so that the applications that don't fit on my SSD still launch fairly quickly if I use them frequently. I think they are a great comprominse. I also use a 2.5" version in my laptop as I wanted more storage than a SSD gave me but wanted it to be fast.