PDA

View Full Version : Firefox - which version ?

Digby
04-07-2014, 08:27 PM
Which version of Firefox are you currently using and what are your thoughts on it.

Eg I am on version 28.

I have heard that many people do not like the major changes made in 29. eg its minimal look and the new menu system and the lack of a status bar.

So I am not moving to it at the moment.

What are you on?

Please do not reply suggesting other browsers or suggest getting add-ons that make 29 or 30 look like 28 ( I don't see the point of that)

wainuitech
04-07-2014, 08:53 PM
Got V30 installed.

Like many things that change, the people that yell the loudest about previous features not being there -- Some don't have a clue even when its staring them in the face.

re the status bar and other features - Its all there -- https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/kb/what-happened-status-bar

Eg: "The new Firefox Status Bar only shows page loading activity and link previews. When neither of those are needed it simply disappears. "

Read it all, including any links in the various sections / options ;)

Terry Porritt
04-07-2014, 09:20 PM
Version 30 is ok for me, I will refrain from mentioning specific addons I use since you don't seem to want to know about addons :banana

pcuser42
04-07-2014, 09:34 PM
Whichever one is the newest. :p

gary67
04-07-2014, 10:40 PM
The newest I love it i won't use any other browsers as none are as good

Rod J
05-07-2014, 12:11 AM
v30 here in Kubuntu Linux.

I was a little uncertain of updating after reading some of the very negative posts about it. But there is really nothing wrong with it, in fact it's great! I use a LavaFox theme and it looks really nice. The new menu is quite handy when you get used to it.

bk T
05-07-2014, 12:51 PM
Ver 30.

So far, so happy. :)

Pato
05-07-2014, 01:33 PM
Version 30 and so far no problems.

b....
05-07-2014, 08:25 PM
V30 and going fine.
I always update to the latest when it is released. So far I haven't had any problems with updating.

Billy T
06-07-2014, 07:50 PM
Up to date for once; I've been on V30 since its release without any problems at all.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

kahawai chaser
06-07-2014, 08:59 PM
Honestly do not know until your thread prompted me to check. Okay it's V30. Ever since I had issues logging into my bank about 6 months back, I switched to Chrome as my main browser, which had no issues. FF I use 1 -2 twice a week, but right now can access my bank.

KarameaDave
07-07-2014, 08:14 AM
Always the latest, browsers are as important to keep up to date as the OS.
You could be vulnerable Digby.

paulw
07-07-2014, 09:23 AM
I'm using V 32.0a2 (2014-07-06)

Lurking
07-07-2014, 09:29 AM
FF Ver 30 on auto update.

Up to date but failed late yesterday as did ClearNet's Outlook Express, RKill the prob. Avast cleared the way back in.

KarameaDave like new cars eh !! keep having to be recalled for some fault or other.

AK47 probably one of the most reliable products to have been invented, a shame really as it has probably caused more deaths and it's maker stated he was the more sorry for having invented it, Kalashnikov recently passed away.

Lurking.

rumpty
07-07-2014, 10:20 AM
I'm trying Firefox Portable 30, although it's installed on one of the computer's internal drives. It goes like a rocket, probably because it is recently installed, but I sort of like the idea of keeping all the FF bits and pieces in one place, so to speak. Like the old idea of an ini file in the program's own directory!

Agent_24
07-07-2014, 11:33 AM
Version 30 is ok for me, I will refrain from mentioning specific addons I use since you don't seem to want to know about addons :banana

x2

Pato
07-07-2014, 02:35 PM
I am getting a lot of "Server not Found" messages using V30. Anyone else getting this or can provide a possible cure?.

Lurking
07-07-2014, 04:37 PM
I am getting a lot of "Server not Found" messages using V30. Anyone else getting this or can provide a possible cure?.

Had that, so I ran Avast and that got rid of RKill, see above.

Lurking.

wainuitech
07-07-2014, 06:06 PM
Had that, so I ran Avast and that got rid of RKill, see above.

Lurking. Cant see how RKill can cause the problem. Its only a exe that runs when you double click it, once finished it turns off.

RKill is a program that was developed at BleepingComputer.com that attempts to terminate known malware processes so that your normal security software can then run and clean your computer of infections. When RKill runs it will kill malware processes and then removes incorrect executable associations and fixes policies that stop us from using certain tools. When finished it will display a log file that shows the processes that were terminated while the program was running.

Avast, as useless as it is, more than likely got a false positive from RKill because RKill is designed to hunt out real infections.

I say Avast is useless, for one very good reason, just finished cleaning out a Laptop, FULL of Malware, Tools bars, so many popups you need to take your shoes off to count them ( ran out of fingers) AND its not the first time either ;)

linw
07-07-2014, 07:12 PM
Agree on Avast. Just cleaned out dozens of PUPs on a dual core m/c and wondered why the comp was still running slow. Disabled Avast to test and immediately got a BIG increase in speed. Avast was gone before lunchtime!

OK, small sample, I agree, but the owner was very pleased with the 'new' computer they got back!

But, in fairness, pretty much every comp I see lately is loaded with PUPs! And did I mention Chrome?

paulw
08-07-2014, 08:49 AM
I agree on Avast as well. Been on Nod32 for years now with no problems..

wainuitech
08-07-2014, 09:42 AM
Disabled Avast to test and immediately got a BIG increase in speed :thumbs:
Seen that plenty of times. One of the most noticeable times was a lady, her Old XP took 4.45 minutes from pressing the start button to running / usable, removed AVG and it did the same in 1.15 minute ( I timed them). Every Computer so far I've taken AVG out of has shown a noticeable speed increase.

GameJunkie
08-07-2014, 09:46 AM
im running the v31 beta, no issues for me

Renegade
08-07-2014, 10:00 AM
:thumbs:
Seen that plenty of times. One of the most noticeable times was a lady, her Old XP took 4.45 minutes from pressing the start button to running / usable, removed AVG and it did the same in 1.15 minute ( I timed them). Every Computer so far I've taken AVG out of has shown a noticeable speed increase.

Ditto.
Look at this BS review, low system impact what a laugh http://www.tomsguide.com/us/avg-free-antivirus,review-2206.html

Lurking
08-07-2014, 10:32 AM
Cant see how RKill can cause the problem. Its only a exe that runs when you double click it, once finished it turns off.

Avast, as useless as it is, more than likely got a false positive from RKill because RKill is designed to hunt out real infections.

I say Avast is useless, for one very good reason, just finished cleaning out a Laptop, FULL of Malware, Tools bars, so many popups you need to take your shoes off to count them ( ran out of fingers) AND its not the first time either ;)

Wai, the rest of the goodies e.g. SuperAnti, MalwareB, CCleaner, SpyBot were all run, with no luck.

One day the good guys will come out in front, no, I,m dreaming again ! and block all this crap that keeps getting through.

Lurking.

wainuitech
08-07-2014, 10:48 AM
Wai, the rest of the goodies e.g. SuperAnti, MalwareB, CCleaner, SpyBot were all run, with no luck.

One day the good guys will come out in front, no, I,m dreaming again ! and block all this crap that keeps getting through.

Lurking. The biggest problem is MANY people simply use default settings when installing "free" software.

Some of them have an option either Customize or advanced setups, Most will use the recommended setup that installs all sort of rubbish, toolbars and every other conceivable piece of crap under the sun ;)

If theres an advanced setup you can usually untick the rubbish. BUT this isn't 100% fool proof, sometimes it still installs -sneaky stuff :devil

Digby
08-07-2014, 12:51 PM
This thread is supposed to be about Firefox versions.

Not Anti-virus software!

Lurking
08-07-2014, 01:23 PM

Not Anti-virus software!

Re: Firefox - which version ?

Digby title's a bit ambiguous for starters, I would have re-commended you use Chrome.

Regards,

Lurking.

wainuitech
08-07-2014, 01:35 PM

Not Anti-virus software! Since when have most threads stayed on topic ? :p

linw
09-07-2014, 09:29 AM
Good question!!

09-07-2014, 02:29 PM
Eg I am on version 28.

I have the new version at work. I hate it.
Download manager does not popup like it did on old versions (requires a addon)
print doesnt just print , goes into print preview 1st
Issues with bookmarks. If you add a bookmark, you cant (easily) add it again in a subfolder
I preferred the look & feel of the old version

I wont be updating my older version I have at home

wainuitech
09-07-2014, 05:53 PM
I have the new version at work. I hate it.
Download manager does not popup like it did on old versions (requires a addon)
print doesnt just print , goes into print preview 1st
Issues with bookmarks. If you add a bookmark, you cant (easily) add it again in a subfolder
I preferred the look & feel of the old version

I wont be updating my older version I have at home

If you are meaning the Download Progress - Its a down Arrow top right when not downloading, click that and "show all downloads" When its downloading something theres a progress bar - same thing, clcik it show downlaods.

As for printing - If you click File theres the option of preview or Print, if you press the old faithful, Ctrl+P it will bring up the print dialog box.

The bookmarks -- Easy as. From the Menu Bar- Open Book marks- Right click a bookmark, new Folder, call it what you want, right click the bookmark ( if you want a copy) - Copy, then simply drag the copied book mark to the folder, or drag any bookmark to any foldder - Whats so hard about that ?

GO BACK to post #2 in this thread -- Theres a link that tells you exactly where everything is, and how it now works. Nothing has changed apart from some things are in a different place AND only active when needed. NO ADDONS required. ;)

Billy T
14-07-2014, 03:30 PM
Just cleaned out dozens of PUPs on a dual core m/c and wondered why the comp was still running slow. But, in fairness, pretty much every comp I see lately is loaded with PUPs!

What are these PUPs of which you speak, and where do they come from?

MWB tells me about them every once in a while, and they seem to be a recurring problem. I see one or two a month.

My surfing does not extend to exploring the dark side......................

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

Agent_24
14-07-2014, 03:56 PM
PUP = Potentially Unwanted Program

Depends on your own definition of an "Unwanted" program I guess:
http://searchsecurity.techtarget.com/definition/PUP

When I've seen them detected they have usually been fairly harmless but pointless programs, not actual malware.

14-07-2014, 04:24 PM
If you are meaning the Download Progress - Its a down Arrow top right when not downloading, click that and "show all downloads" When its downloading something theres a progress bar - same thing, clcik it show downlaods.
There are only so many mouse clicks available in a lifetime. I found an addon that makes the download box popup automaticly, as it should

As for printing - If you click File theres the option of preview or Print, if you press the old faithful, Ctrl+P it will bring up the print dialog box.
Again, thats added mouse clicks. I use the print icon on the toolbar. They have made FF slower . :-)

The bookmarks -- Easy as. From the Menu Bar- Open Book marks- Right click a bookmark, new Folder, call it what you want, right click the bookmark ( if you want a copy) - Copy, then simply drag the copied book mark to the folder, or drag any bookmark to any foldder - Whats so hard about that ?
Nope, cant add the same bookmark twice. If its allready bookmarked somewhere, I cant add it again. I have to hunt down the original bookmark & kill it first, I dont know where it is.
https://support.mozilla.org/en-US/questions/1000333

I am a busy man.The new FF has made me do extra mouse clicks , this takes time away from my important youtubing.
can I sue FF for RSI in my mouse finger. (seriously though, sometimes does get sore)
The previous versions worked better, for me.

wainuitech
14-07-2014, 05:36 PM
Nope, cant add the same bookmark twice. If its allready bookmarked somewhere, I cant add it again. I have to hunt down the original bookmark & kill it first, I dont know where it is..

Errrrrrrrrr yeah you can :)

Also same bookmark twice in the same list/ Location - and separate folder ( ezyflix)

wainuitech
14-07-2014, 05:52 PM
Again, thats added mouse clicks. I use the print icon on the toolbar. They have made FF slower . :-)

How about no mouse clicks then, CTRL + P then press enter. ;)

Select the printer you want ( if you have more than one or non default) - this will apply to ANYthing you want to print

If you are not sending directly to the printer options then your setup isn't set to do so.

Highlighted - You mean this one ?

Simply right click a blank spot on the menu bar - customize - drag the printer Icon to the toolbar