PDA

View Full Version : W8 to W8.1

Poppa John
04-07-2014, 09:01 PM
Hi All.
Why does this upgrade get as far as about 47% download & then fail. This seems to be a common problem. Is there a fix for it? PJ

wainuitech
04-07-2014, 10:00 PM
Some antivirus software can cause problems. What are you using ?

Sometimes theres updates that HAVE to be in before the upgrade will work, you have to manually run Windows updates until theres nothing left ( try 2-3 times to check) This can happen even though the upgrade says its available. On average theres roughly 1GB of updates to W8 before 8.1 can be installed.

If its a name brand PC ( HP esp) :yuck: They fail quite often during upgrades.

Poppa John
04-07-2014, 10:10 PM
[QUOTE=wainuitech;1200532]Some antivirus software can cause problems. What are you using ?

Sometimes theres updates that HAVE to be in before the upgrade will work, you have to manually run Windows updates until theres nothing left ( try 2-3 times to check) This can happen even though the upgrade says its available. On average theres roughly 1GB of updates to W8 before 8.1 can be installed.

If its a name brand PC ( HP esp) :yuck: They fail quite often during upgrades.[/QU

Only what came with W8 PJ

wainuitech
04-07-2014, 11:18 PM
At 47% approx. - the upgrade has downloaded, the rest is configuring the upgrade and then installing.

Depending on the computer, mainly older PC's, MS changed the hardware requirements for 8.1. Got a couple here that have W8, but wont run 8.1.

Done plenty of upgrades form 8 -8.1, with only a few failures. Listed below are the reasons the failures occurred:

*Outdated Antivirus versions. Nod V6 for example can cause problems where V7 is fine.
* Incompatible drivers already installed
*Some programs if installed will cause failures
*Corruptions in the W8 install
*Malware on the computer - Side issue the inbuilt antivirus -- Lets say theres better. Seen plenty of PC's with various malware and only using the inbuilt.
* HP Envy Laptops - had 3 fail and no fix, this is due to incompatible HP drivers even the latest for the model don't work.
* All available updates are not downloaded from windows update. There are some places that say you only need to install a couple of KB's from MS, (cant remember the numbers) while this does bring up the upgrade in the store, out of the 4 times I've tried with only those updates theres been a 100% failure rate - install all the updates from windows update first and the upgrade installs. Hence I don't piss about - I now download everything, its only about 1 GB.

The other thing -- is the actual download stopping, or is it when it switches over to the configuring process -- There is a difference ( as mentioned at 47% roughly on the progress bar its downloaded already, and the wording changes from downloading to "gathering info" ). If its failing after the download, then there's something in the computer causing it ( generally)

See pic, notice centre image wording /progress:

Poppa John
05-07-2014, 01:00 PM
Maryann:- Looking at the images, we've never even got as far as middle image. Install gets to around 47-50%, then we get the error message and the number 0x80240031. This seems to mean that there is an update missing. Had a tech guy here and the same thing happened twice, despite going through install updates again. I gave it another try last night...same story. When I tried to check through what updates were installed, I couldn't find the dratted page! Patience patience, I said...switching off and waiting for another day. This is now 'another day.' :) Full of hope, guys! PJ doing the dishes, NOT fiddling with my Window 8.

wainuitech
05-07-2014, 01:40 PM
By any chance are you trying to update via a wireless Connection?

If so that will cause problems - if you are trying Via wireless connect the computer to the router Via a cable.

You can also try running sfc /scannow via Command prompt, there may be some sort of corruptions / missing files thats causing it.

As well as the following:

1. Press the Windows button + X on your keyboard, a mini dialogue box will appear
2. Choose Command Prompt (Admin). You must run the command prompt in Administrator level
3. On the command prompt type sfc /scannow and hit enter
4. If everything went okay and no errors where found, restart your computer and try updating again
5. If errors where found, try to fix it using DISM.
6. On the same command prompt window type Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
7. After the repair is complete, restart your computer and try updating now.

Poppa John
05-07-2014, 04:36 PM
By any chance are you trying to update via a wireless Connection?

If so that will cause problems - if you are trying Via wireless connect the computer to the router Via a cable.

You can also try running sfc /scannow via Command prompt, there may be some sort of corruptions / missing files thats causing it.

As well as the following:

Yes to via wireless. Will try hardconnecting later. Just got in. Thanks. Maryann.

wainuitech
05-07-2014, 06:31 PM
Just a Hint: If you currently DONT sign in to windows 8, when you get to the stage of rebooting, disconnect the internet completely -- Then when prompted, select Customize ( bottom Right) then next several times. if you have the internet connected it wants you to sign in, there is a way of bypassing it, just not to clear on the first page, the options slip my mind at the moment.

If you currently do sign in - ignore above :)

Poppa John
05-07-2014, 10:25 PM
From Maryann Thanks wainuitech. I allowed PJ to leave the dishes so that he could sit at desk and wait for all the upgrades to work, via modem. Took quite a while, but went through without a hitch. I plied PJ with cups of tea to keep him going. :) It took about 2 hours in total. Thanks guys.