PDA

View Full Version : Win7 to macbook

bk T
02-07-2014, 11:02 PM
Installing Win7 on this macbook pro for a friend.

Followed all instructions closely using Bootcamp; it went quite 'smoothly' untill expanding Windows files and seems to be stucked at 39% for almost 30min now.

Is this normal?

Webdevguy
02-07-2014, 11:45 PM
For future reference, Parallels or VMware is a better way to go. Bootcamp is good in that it comes with every Mac but it's annoying to use when you are in situations where you need to run apps on both OSes at the same time. Neither parallels nor VMware suffer any performance lag when running Windows.

I'm also thinking that Win7 shouldn't be taking that long to expand... Will need to google it though as I haven't done it myself

Not sure if this helps ...http://manuals.info.apple.com/MANUALS/1000/MA1519/en_US/Boot_Camp_Install-Setup_10.6.pdf

bk T
03-07-2014, 12:33 AM
I did a hard reset of OSX, re-run Bootcamp, and this time it stuck at 49% !

I'm now resetting OSX one more time.

This is a brand new Macbook, he just bought it from Dicksmith this afternoon! Could it be a hardware issue?

Webdevguy
03-07-2014, 09:19 AM
I did a hard reset of OSX, re-run Bootcamp, and this time it stuck at 49% !

I'm now resetting OSX one more time.

This is a brand new Macbook, he just bought it from Dicksmith this afternoon! Could it be a hardware issue?

I would doubt very much that it is a hardware issue, more like something is preventing the installation. I just googled a bit and it seems to be a fairly common problem according to a number of comments on the Apple users forums
https://discussions.apple.com/message/19354170

Some very useful pointers in that discussion thread.

Are you installing your copy of Win 7 off a USB drive?

bk T
03-07-2014, 09:32 AM
Thanks for the link.

I tried both, DVD disk and USB flash drive - it doesn't even recognise my Win7 USB drive!

I'm now trying another DVD install disk. See how it goes.

bk T
03-07-2014, 10:49 AM
No, doesn't work, this time stuck at 53% expanding files.

Just read that some Mac machines don't support USB Windows boot disk? True?

Any Mac gurus here?

icow
03-07-2014, 11:09 AM
I've personally run into this problem multiple times including my current Macbook Pro. From what I've seen it appears to be an issue with the way bootcamp tries to format your hard disk and how temperamental the Windows 7 installer seems to be about anything sata or ide related.

This is what I've had the most success with:

Use an original Windows 7 install DVD OR a bootable USB drive created using the official Windows 7 USB tool using an iso from microsoft (NOT ripped from the DVD) OR using a bootable USB created by the Bootcamp assistant (assuming you're running the latest version of Mac OS X you can do this before partitioning your hard drive iirc). I've personally had the most success with USB drives. You need to go back into bootcamp and remove your existing partition which you created to install windows. Now restart the bootcamp process, when bootcamp restarts your computer hold down the alt key to boot into Mac OS X, you don't want to start the install process. Go to disk utility and delete the bootcamp partition (leaving unpartitioned space) and recreate it as fat32. Now insert your installation media and restart the computer, holding alt once again to select the dvd/usb as the boot media. From this point you should be good to go, make sure you do a quick format on your bootcamp partition before you start the installation. Once again, if it hangs at whatever percent leave it for 30mins or so. But it should be good to go this time.

Some other things that can go wrong:

If you're using a USB stick to install Windows and you find that if spits some driver error at you near the start of the installation, back out of the install to the screen that has the "start now" or "install now" button in the center of the screen and remove the USB stick with Windows on it. Proceed with the install until you surpass the screen which was giving you driver troubles and reinsert the USB into the same USB port. Windows 7 doesn't play nice with USB 3.0 and doesn't really know what to do with it.

Make sure nothing else but the charger and the USB are plugged in when you are doing the install. If for some reason it's not working you can try switching USB ports (be sure to repeat the whole process though).

P.S. If you can't get any of this to work try doing a bootcamp install of Windows XP and upgrading to Windows 7. Has worked for me every time I've tried it.

GOOD LUCK :)

bk T
03-07-2014, 02:54 PM
Some other things that can go wrong:

If you're using a USB stick to install Windows and you find that if spits some driver error at you near the start of the installation, back out of the install to the screen that has the "start now" or "install now" button in the center of the screen and remove the USB stick with Windows on it. Proceed with the install until you surpass the screen which was giving you driver troubles and reinsert the USB into the same USB port. Windows 7 doesn't play nice with USB 3.0 and doesn't really know what to do with it.

Make sure nothing else but the charger and the USB are plugged in when you are doing the install. If for some reason it's not working you can try switching USB ports (be sure to repeat the whole process though).

P.S. If you can't get any of this to work try doing a bootcamp install of Windows XP and upgrading to Windows 7. Has worked for me every time I've tried it.

GOOD LUCK :)

Can't get pass that!

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2014, 02:58 PM
What version of Bootcamp are you using? And is OSX 10.6 + on it?? And according to the Apple site depending on the mac (if its late 2013), it'll only support windows 8

Webdevguy
03-07-2014, 03:05 PM
What version of Bootcamp are you using? And is OSX 10.6 + on it?? And according to the Apple site depending on the mac (if its late 2013), it'll only support windows 8

Being that it is a brand new one it will be 10.9 so well over the 10.6 mark.

Give this a try http://support.apple.com/kb/ts3173

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2014, 03:08 PM
I take it, its 64 bit you're trying to install then? And according to the Apple site

You must use a single full-install Windows installation disc. You cannot use an upgrade version of Windows.

bk T
03-07-2014, 05:16 PM
Speedy: What do you understand by 'single full-install Windows installation disc'?

Yup, it's OSX 10.9

Speedy Gonzales
03-07-2014, 05:20 PM
One that's not an upgrade lol. Cant say I've ever seen an upgrade version of any version of windows. All of the dvd's here, can install if I do a clean install. Try this (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sDbHX2oJAgo)

bk T
03-07-2014, 09:30 PM
Gave it a last shot, used USB method suggested by Webdevguy; let it run, as expected, it stuck at 53% expanding files .....

Went for dinner, came back and to my surprise, Windows has completed the installation!!!!!!!

I would like to thank you all for the suggestions. :)

THANK YOU .

Webdevguy
04-07-2014, 11:59 AM
Gave it a last shot, used USB method suggested by Webdevguy; let it run, as expected, it stuck at 53% expanding files .....

Went for dinner, came back and to my surprise, Windows has completed the installation!!!!!!!

I would like to thank you all for the suggestions. :)

THANK YOU .
Good to hear :thumbs: