PDA

View Full Version : The server's CN Name does not match the passed value?

John L.
27-06-2014, 12:10 PM
Of recent times a laptop running outlook 2003 running under Vista is returning the following error message from yahoo.co.nz. (Note yahoo.co.nz not xtra)

"The server you are connected to is using a security certificate that could not be verified
The certificate CN name does not match the passed value
Do you want to continue using this server?"

If I decide to ignore the warning and proceed I can download from the POP server. So no problem downloading.
But
I cannot send via the SMTP server.
I have looked on a number of forums and interestingly there appears to be a lot of dodging responsibility on this CN number issue but no real solutions.
I have tried various configurations and port numbers on the SMTP side suggested on various forums and work arounds but cannot send the test message even.
The server is found but doesn't respond.
I rang Microsoft who just want to do an upsell to later versions of office and won't even answer questions because of the version.
I know it's an older version and also that many of us don't like Vista but this aside I want practical solutions and/or work arounds not recommendations to change operating systems or office versions.
Any ideas?
John L.

fred_fish
27-06-2014, 12:27 PM
Does it say what CN the certificate is issued with?

What server names do you have defined in the pop and smtp server fields?

John L.
27-06-2014, 12:31 PM
Does it say what CN the certificate is issued with?

What server names do you have defined in the pop and smtp server fields?

pop.mail.yahoo.co.nz
smtp.mail.yahoo.co.nz

John L.
27-06-2014, 12:32 PM
Oops sorry Fred I missed the first question: No it doesn't.

In the more setting tabs the outgoing server tab the server requires authentication is ticked. I have also tried it without.
in the advanced settings both the pop3 and the smtp servers require encryption are ticked.
The POP3 port is 995 and the smtp is 25

John L.
27-06-2014, 12:41 PM
I have also tried various suggestions as to the encryption settings and the port settings settings as well even to the point of allowing unsecured settings with no joy.

CYaBro
27-06-2014, 03:36 PM
Is your data and time correct and is Windows updates all up to date?

John L.
27-06-2014, 06:38 PM
I think they are CYaBro but I'll doublecheck tomorrow. It's not my machine.

fred_fish
27-06-2014, 08:33 PM
They use wildcard certs (CN=*.pop.mail.yahoo.com & CN=*.smtp.mail.yahoo.com) which are completely valid, but older versions of outlook don't like (doesn't match the server name exactly).
Answer is ... use a proper mail client :D

John L.
28-06-2014, 08:22 AM
Yes they are CYaBro.

John L.
28-06-2014, 09:06 AM
They use wildcard certs (CN=*.pop.mail.yahoo.com & CN=*.smtp.mail.yahoo.com) which are completely valid, but older versions of outlook don't like (doesn't match the server name exactly).
Answer is ... use a proper mail client :D

Nope wildcards aren't the answer either Fred. Thanks for yours and CYaBros efforts though.
Might be time to try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook. Possible corrupted data *.pst file. Problem with this though is Microsoft stopped supporting 2003 in April and so won't get any updates patches from the original etc there. I know they want upsales of their newer products but I am really pissed that they won't even make any suggestions. This is absolute arrogant BS on their part. Not everyone can afford upgrades etc, especially when they wouldn't be upgrades but rather complete new purchases. The person who owns the computer I'm working on can't.

beama
02-07-2014, 02:04 PM
wrong answer

fred_fish
02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
Nope wildcards aren't the answer either Fred.They never were - Outlook's lack of support for them is the problem, the answer is REPLACE OUTLOOK (2003).

Might be time to try uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook. Possible corrupted data *.pst file. Problem with this though is Microsoft stopped supporting 2003 in April and so won't get any updates patches from the original etc there. I know they want upsales of their newer products but I am really pissed that they won't even make any suggestions. This is absolute arrogant BS on their part. Not everyone can afford upgrades etc, especially when they wouldn't be upgrades but rather complete new purchases. The person who owns the computer I'm working on can't.
So install one of the many free (and superior) mail clients. Thunderbird would be my recommendation.