PDA

View Full Version : Samsung Galaxy Trend - 2 Degrees only ???

SP8's
27-06-2014, 11:11 AM
Hi all

I'm trying to help a friend out who went and bought a Samsung Galaxy Trend phone on special. It came with a 2 degrees SIM and doesn't want to use it, he wants to use Telecom because he gets better coverage where he lives.

Unfortunately, he was told he couldn't do that ... after he opened the box which means the supplier won't take it back. He asked me to have a look at it and I went onto the Telecom website and put the IMEI number in ... "won't work on our network" reply.

I don't know a lot about phones apart from answering, talking and text messages. Is this what they mean by "locked" and if so, is there any way to unlock it ?? Telecom do sell the exact same model of phone, however, they're about $50 more than what he paid for his.

Any help would be appreciated.

TIA ... SP8's

27-06-2014, 11:57 AM
there are quite a few different versions of the galaxy trend.
Also with a few Samsung phones, Telecom had there own slight different version .

-it could be that its been locked. You could try taking it to a mobile phone store & they might be able to unlock it

- more likely is that it just doesnt support the Telecom network. if so there is no way around that.
The telecom system is completely different to 2degres & vodafone, not all phones will work on all mobile providers systems.

It might work on Vodafone, that may be the other option.

SP8's
27-06-2014, 01:05 PM
Thanks 1101 ... I'll pass the info on and he can decide what to do about it.

tmrafi
01-07-2014, 12:11 PM
The Samsung Galaxy Trend gt-s7390 as sold by 2 Degrees supports the following frequencies (from GSM Arena)
2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - GT-S7390
3G Network HSDPA 900 / 2100

2 Degrees and Vodafone run a 2G and 3G network on 900MHz and hence the phone would work on those

Telecom only run a 3G network and at 850MHz, so this phone being only dual band 3G wont work on Telecom Network.

kahawai chaser
01-07-2014, 12:27 PM
I think Telecom also run on 2100MHz for "infill" areas.

You can display your network's frequencies by dialing *#0011#. See here how (http://android.stackexchange.com/questions/23572/how-to-tell-current-frequency-band) to read the information. Also these tables (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/UMTS_frequency_bands#UMTS-FDD) showing the upstream/down stream frequency bands.

Alex B
01-07-2014, 03:06 PM
Don't even bother trying to run a phone on Telecom if it only supports 2100MHz, it's really not even worth mentioning.