PDA

View Full Version : Guests cannot send email when connected to my network

stone2
26-06-2014, 10:16 AM
Hello, My friends cannot send email from my home wifi but they can at other peoples places. They can connect and surf the web just fine it's only sending email from their client software thats the problem. (their android phones).
I have a adsl modem and a wifi router connected to that. I have it password protected of course and WPA2-PSK turned on and also I have hidden the SSID. Guests can use web based email just fine.
Anyone have any clue why they can use their client emails fine at other peoples network but not mine?

CYaBro
26-06-2014, 10:33 AM
Who is your internet provider and what email addresses are your friends trying to send from?

wainuitech
26-06-2014, 11:03 AM
This happens a lot, if you are on lets say, Xtra, and they have a vodafone/ Orcon/ or someone else email account, xtra (by default) wont allow you to send out mails from other ISP's accounts.

If the person has Vodafone, and connects to a Vodafone connection it will work fine. If they have Xtra and you have xtra it should work as well.

The internet its self doesn't matter who its connected to, it only affects email clients.

Nomad
26-06-2014, 11:20 AM
It happens on my cellphone too.

If you have ISP email, you have to be connected to that ISP to send. So if you have Xtra, you need to be connected to Xtra internet, won't work if they are with Vodafone or if you are using 2Degrees cellphone.

The way I have worked around it is, use Yahoo and add in an email account or more in the online settings. Like if you have 2x ISP email addresses. Instead of the ISP smtp server, use the Yahoo one.

If you do it by Google or Outlook.com you can alter the replying adddress. But it means you Gmail or Outlook webmail email address will be altered as well. Ie if you use Gmail to send an email people will get an email from your ISP email not from your Gmail. Although you can set up multiple Gmail I find that too much hassle. Ie - set up one Gmail for your own webmail as normal. And a 2nd one for your ISP email only.

The ISP might offer a $5 service a month to provide a portable SMTP if you want.

26-06-2014, 11:27 AM
Some ISP's are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to email setup/systems. Thats the real issue.

wainuitech
26-06-2014, 11:49 AM
Some ISP's are stuck in the dark ages when it comes to email setup/systems. Thats the real issue. You normally get a message along the lines of "Relaying not permitted" if using a Xtra connection -- Xtra are good:rolleyes: for that.

Relaying is sending email from a network other than that on which the smtp server resides. Most ISPs block this to prevent spam. Some will allow you to send email via their server anyways if you provide a username and password. This is called smtp authentication. There are workarounds as described in the above posts :thumbs: Just a bit of mucking about.

CYaBro
26-06-2014, 03:00 PM
If you have an xtra account and are using the new settings with send.xtra.co.nz and SSL etc then you can send from any internet connection.