PDA

View Full Version : No Longer able to boot from Floppy

15-12-2001, 12:50 AM
Hoping someone may be able to point me in the direction of a fix - I can't boot from floppy anymore.

COnfirmed the drive is working, tried a number of different boot disks including W95 and W98.

My instinct is to blame it on installing Linux. I had put Redhat onto a second HDD and allowed LILO to be installed as the boot loader for dual boot. When I decided to remove linux I used the lilo -u /dev/hda command to clear LILO.

Still no could boot from floppy.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated?

15-12-2001, 07:43 AM
Hi Mr Man, silly question really but is a:\ set in the bios to boot first? eg: boot sequence A:,c:

15-12-2001, 12:45 PM
Not a silly question, but yes the 'legacy floppy' is set as first in bios boot settings. MBD is an asus P3B

15-12-2001, 04:46 PM
If you have a working system (Windows? DOS?) which boots up on your hard disk, make a 'recovery disk' or bootable DOS disk using that floppy.

Then if that works, and other disks which work on other computers don't on yours, that is a head alignment problem.

I (from long and bitter experience of floppies) make sure that I format and write disks on the drive they will be used on if they are for critical purposes. That's Linux startup disks, Windows emergency, etc.

19-12-2001, 04:47 PM
Hi Graham, from some other posts you've made you clearly have a few clues about linux.

I have tried a whole host of different boot disks, including brand new ex shrink-wrap W95 & w98. Also created windows boot disk on my machine (remember Dual Boot Linux W95 with two drives removed linux and cant boot from floppy?) still cannot boot from floppy.

Have you nay other suggestions or recommended sites I could go to hunt for more info?

THanks heaps for your help too.