PDA

View Full Version : Monitor shutting down while system is loading.

Odin49
25-06-2014, 03:49 PM
I was copying a file to a USB stick when suddenly my monitor said it was going to sleep. Lost the display and the monitor shut down. Power light went from green to orange. My PC seemed to still be working but it would not shut down (tried Control-Alt-Del but nothing happened), I also pressed the power button but it just would not turn off. I had to turn it off by cutting the power from the AC plug. I waited a few minutes and turned the PC on, the splash screen came on and the system (Ubuntu 12.04 LTS) started to load but the monitor did the same thing. This PC is dual-booting Ubuntu and Win XP. So I tried to load Windows only to have the same thing happen (the monitor stopped while Windows was loading and the PC would not turn off). There is a display until the OS starts to load but after several seconds the monitor stops. Any help will be most appreciated.

Odin49
25-06-2014, 04:21 PM
I am suppling additional info regarding my problem. My motherboard is an AsRock with integrated video, audio and LAN. CPU is an Intel Core 2 DUO at 2.0 GHz. I am actually using the monitor that seemed to have gone bad on my other PC. It seems to be working just fine. So it is not the monitor.

pctek
25-06-2014, 04:26 PM
I am actually using the monitor that seemed to have gone bad on my other PC. It seems to be working just fine. So it is not the monitor.

Then it would be the GPU.

dugimodo
25-06-2014, 04:33 PM
If you have a graphics card available to try that might help. To turn the PC off did you try holding the power button in for > 4 seconds? A bit less brutal than turning off at the wall.

The monitor would normally do what you describe when it's receiving no video signal so if the monitor is ok on another pc then as pctek said it's likely the GPU (or just maybe the cable) and as it's integrated into the MB that could be a problem.

Either find a graphics card or cable to try, or take it to a tech somewhere. I've given away better PC's though, it may have just come to the end of it's life.

Odin49
26-06-2014, 08:40 AM
Thank you for your help. I finally got things working, at least for now. Here is what I did:
1) Tested the outlets of the voltage regulator but it was ok.
2) Tested voltages of the PSU and those were ok.
3) Powered the system without the monitor connected and as before got a single beep while booting and was able to turn the system off. The system will not turn off when the monitor is connected. And on this MoBo I have to press the power button for a few seconds before it turns off even though I have set it to turn off instantly on the BIOS.
4) Found an old PCI video card and inserted that in a slot on the MoBo. Turned the system on with the intention of disabling the onboard video. No display and got 2 beeps.
5) Reconnected the monitor to the MoBo adapter and removed the PCI video card. Restarted the system and went into the BIOS. Found the Primary Video set to PCI as it has been all the time but I pressed Enter and saw there was an option for Onboard so I changed it to that. And at least for now things are back to normal. Do not understand why it had been working with the Primary Video set to PCI all this time and then suddenly it gave me this problem. And this setting is the factory default setting.

Hope this helps someone with the same problem. Oh, when I tested the monitor on my other PC I used the same cables so I knew it was not the monitor and the cables were ok. Thank you for your help. Will check what those 2 beeps mean about, BIOS is AMI.

wainuitech
26-06-2014, 09:12 AM
Do not understand why it had been working with the Primary Video set to PCI all this time and then suddenly it gave me this problem. And this setting is the factory default setting.
Most do, what normally happens is if theres a video card installed it will over-ride the onboard by default, remove the card and it switches over to onboard.

Where the WTF :confused: happens is if you plug the monitor into the onboard and it has a video card - you'll get nothing on the display.

As for the two Beep codes, as it says near the bottom hardware failure. Which if the card is not working will be the reason, could be failing memory as well. But more likely the card.

http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep (http://www.bioscentral.com/beepcodes/amibeep.htm)