PDA

View Full Version : Have a dead Acer notebook hdd here

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2014, 12:23 PM
I can still get into it using Easeus Data recovery Wizard WinPE. Anyone know what files I need to (recover to make) a recovery / system DVD or whatever it is?? I think I remember seeing an OEM folder before it stopped booting into windows

The dead hdd is in the notebook at the mo, but connecting it to this (without booting from Easeus Data recovery will hang it). So will connect it to this desktop again, then boot from the flash drive with Easeus on it. Then try and figure out what files I need to create a DVD (if I can )

I see on the notebook now there's also a WindowsRE folder, is this what I need? There's a winre.winm file in this folder but it's only 221.63 mb. And in another folder another winre.win file 190.85 mb

wainuitech
25-06-2014, 12:53 PM
You can install Windows from a .wim file, using imageX.

If WinPE is seeing the Drive contents OK, try using AOMEI Backupper Free (http://www.backup-utility.com/free-backup-software.html) - Make a WinPE based bootable CD from the Utilities option ( you may need the Windows AIK from memory installed) , see if it will boot from that and make an image of the current setup, then drop the image back onto another working HDD.

Whats the OS ?

If its Windows 7 you can use the COA sticker and simply reinstall, and possibly locate the drivers and recover them.

If its Windows 8 simply install - No COA required as its hard coded into the chip on the motherboard. Windows 8 will look for the COA, and simply install, no need to enter a Key.

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2014, 12:58 PM
Sweet. I did buy the Pro version of that. With lifetime updates. I'll try that now. Nope dont need AIK to create it in Backupper. But you do for Easeus I think. Creating the WinPE iso now

And yup it's Win8. Not the Pro version

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2014, 01:12 PM
Look like Easeus loads faster than Backupper. Still waiting for Backupper to come up on the netbook

wainuitech
25-06-2014, 01:29 PM
If its windows 8 ( doesn't matter what version) the COA is embedded, you put in a good or new HDD, boot from the W8 DVD and it should install /Locate the COA all by its self.

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2014, 02:13 PM
Cool k may have to wait for the person to buy another hdd. Then try that. Hopefully, they've got some kind of DVD. Because I havent got the core DVD. Only Pro. And I'll have to use Rufus or something. Because it doesnt have a cd or dvd

wainuitech
25-06-2014, 03:38 PM
The pro should be fine. Like Vista and W7 a W8 dvd has all the versions, Ive used a Pro DVD to reinstall a Home Pre, it just picked up the HP key and away it went.

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2014, 04:42 PM
Rightio, k. Will wait for the person to buy a hdd then. And see how it goes. Ta WT

wainuitech
25-06-2014, 06:06 PM
One thing you have to be careful about -- If the Laptop came with W8 then you must use a W8 DVD, if it came with 8.1 then you must use a W8.1 dvd. The licence key wont work on 8.1 if the original install is W8.

Had that happen a couple of times - then the 3.6GB update along with all the others to get 8.1 to upgrade to whats the current.

Speedy Gonzales
25-06-2014, 06:10 PM
Well I cant check now thats its dead lol