PDA

View Full Version : How to go from a simple wired internet sharing to sharing a printer

Odin49
24-06-2014, 12:26 PM
Hello to all. This is my first post.

I have a wired Trendnet 4-Port Broadband Router ( TW100-S4W1CA v2.0R) connected to a cable modem. 2 Windows XP PRO SP3 PCs, a Windows 7 PC and a PS3 are connected to the router and all connect to the Internet. Each PC and the PS3 are assigned a dynamic IP when they are powered on. I do not have any problem with sharing the internet connection. But recently I had to move one XP machine to which a printer is connected. Now I need to share this printer with the other 2 PCs ( one XP and one Win 7).

Do I have to assign a static IP to each PC or do I simply enable sharing in each PC, give them a unique name and create a Workgroup? Can I have the network with the dynamic IP addressing? Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Terry Porritt
24-06-2014, 01:42 PM
There is a useful article here showing 4 ways to share a printer:
http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/four-ways-to-share-your-printer/

I use method 4 sometimes when I want to share a printer.

wainuitech
24-06-2014, 03:45 PM
Since you have XP, you cant use more modern methods like Homegroup, you need W7 and above for that.

So the other way -- Make sure all computers are on the same workgroup ( saves a LOT of hassles) on the computer that has the Printer, right click the printer and share it.

On the other computers, you will have to have the printer software installed. When setting up the printer software, it should have an option to look for a network printer, if it does, select that option, the computer will scan the LAN and hopefully locate the shared printer, install and away you go. You'll need to do this for every PC that you want to install the printer on. Otherwise in the "add Printer" select network printer. ( you still may require the software depending on the host)

Some possible Problems:

Make sure printer sharing is turned on in the host Computer. ( XP's)

The Computer that has the printer HAS to be turned on for the others to connect to it every time.

If you have Homegroup running on any of the W7 - leave the homegroup, other wise it wont work.

On W7, make sure network discovery is ON, makes life a bit easier.

In the future, if you need to replace your Router, get one that has a USB printer share port, that way the printer plugs into the Router which acts as a print server, and it doesn't matter what computer is on or off.

Personally I use Netgear routers with the USB print port, its a piece of cake to setup printers then :) Last one I setup had 4 W8 Laptops, and 3 Android tablets all connected :D

Edited: you didn't say what the printer is, BUT if its got a Ethernet port on the printer, then its network capable, which means it can be plugged directly into the current router, and the computers are setup to look for a network printer, no sharing required.

dugimodo
24-06-2014, 05:20 PM
Another option is a cheap print server but they can be a little awkward to set up. I have a TP-Link one and you have to install it's software on every PC and set it up each time. Does work quite well though, connects to my network via ethernet and gives me a USB printer port.

I got mine working then I bought a multi-function printer with network support and stopped using the print server, all I need now are printer drivers.

gary67
24-06-2014, 05:57 PM
Our fibre frittzbox has usb print support. Before that I had switch/print server until it died

Nomad
24-06-2014, 07:25 PM
We had XP before attached to a printer. Was better than Windows 2000. Just dynamic IP like what WT says.

Or else you can plug into the router if it supports USB printers. Not all routers do though. But the first line one - the PC connected to the printer must be on when the others wanna share the printer.

Or yeah .. print servers. Maybe tricky, given cost maybe another wireless (or wired ethernet) printer etc ... won't be much cost difference.

gary67
24-06-2014, 08:54 PM
My print server/4 port switch cost $50 and ran for 5 years before dying and you can't get that model anymore.

The Vodafone router we had was supposed to support USB printers but I could never get my Pixma to work on it.

The fritzbox plugged in printer installed the USB fernschluss software for the box, plugged printer in away we went printing really easy

Odin49
25-06-2014, 03:49 PM
Thank you all, I have my 2 XPs and the win 7 all networked. I can see all and share from the Win 7, can not see the Win 7 from the XPs but I really don't need that. What I really needed was to have the 3 PCs sharing the printer. Unfortunately, my printer just gave up on me. So this gives me the opportunity to buy a new one that is easy to connect as per your instructions. Again, thank you for your help.