PDA

View Full Version : Gaming PC advise please (Approx $2000)

Daniel.Drache
21-06-2014, 09:07 PM
Hi,
I know yet another PC Build request thread, I have also posted this on Computer Lounges Forum (http://forum.computerlounge.co.nz/yaf_postsm54610_Gaming-PC--Approx-2000.aspx)
I've checked out the other threads & garnered as much relevant info as I can & I've done a bit of googling

I'm looking to order a gaming PC from Computer Lounge (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/)

1. Budget / Price Range
Ideally $2000 including a Monitor (Although my build is $2489)
This is variable as I have some saved, but the remainder will be from a loan & the banks pre approved me to heaven & back.

2. What will it be used for (be specific)
Gaming, I Generally play Strat, 4X & RPG games
So Monitor refresh rate may not matter as much.

3. What components you do/don't require
Everything except a Mouse, I have a Logitech M705 Mouse that is very comfortable, I'm hoping I can get a wireless keyboard that will connect to the same receiver.

4. Specifics
I don't care about brands as long as its decent quality
I like Geforce Graphics cards.

My Build (Feel free to suggest better alts)

Motherboard
Asus Z97-A (-$100) or Asus Z97 Pro (WiFi ac)
The Pro is $100 extra, does the Wifi ac mean I won't need an additional card to connect to the modem?
Or is it better to get a separate Wifi Card? But those cards aren't selectable in the build a PC Page

Processor
Intel i5 4670K 3.4GHz

CPU Cooler
No Clue
Noctura NH-U9DXi4 Ultra Quiet

Ram
Mushkin Stealth Stiletto 8gb ddr3 1600c
Corsair CMD8GXM2A1866C9 Dominator Platinum 8Gb - +$100 Or is this Necessary?

System Hard Disk
Intel 530 Series 120GB 2.5" SATA3 SSD

2nd Hard Disk
Seagate Barracuda ST2000DM001 2TB 64MBs 6Gb/s SAT

Optical Drive
LG GH24NSBO - I rarely use optical drives (installing Win etc)

Graphics Card
EVGA Geforce GTX770 Superclocked ACX 2GB GDDR - I like Geforce

System Case
No Clue What So Ever but I don't want bright lights, I would like 4+ USB ports

I like the NZXT Phantom Mid or Full Black
I Really like the look of the Cooler Master HAF 922 Mid Tower http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0026FCI2U
Would Computer lounge import it?

PSU
Seasonic S12G 650W 80plus Gold Power Supply

Keyboard
-I would like a Logitech Wireless that hooks into the Unifying Reciever
-Laptop style keyboard (I'm not a fan of the raised keys)
-An Ergonomic keyboard would probably be a good idea for the amount of time I spend on the computer

Logitech MK550 Wireless Wave Combo

Monitor
No Idea, Around 24 inches
I mostly play Strat, 4X & Rpgs so response time not as critical?

Asus VS239H-J 23" 5ms LED IPS Monitor

Any suggestions for better alternatives or even ways to save money let me know.

Questions

Overclocking - I've never done this.
Is it worth it (Shortened lifespan vs additional power etc) & more importantly will Computer Lounges warranty still be valid if they overclock it?

Thanks
Daniel

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 09:27 PM
You need a 11.ac modem (most aren't cheap), if you want 11.ac speed. Otherwise it'll go down to the speed of the modem. I would say the Pro has 11.ac built in.

There's a new haswell out now the G3420 and another CPU which is overclockable / unlocked on the H97, H87, and B85 mobos. ASUS managed to overclock an H97 mobo up to to 4.9 ghz

Daniel.Drache
21-06-2014, 09:34 PM
I have a Telecom Home Gateway HG630B modem (Standard Fibre Modem)
I just want to surf the web, DL files, play movies on the TV through the Home Network etc
I rarely play games online

Would it be better to get the Asus Pro Motherboard that has built in WiFi or to get the Z97-A & get a Wireless adapter Like This One (http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=20477)

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 09:42 PM
No point getting a separate 11.ac adapter. You may as well buy the Pro. Since, it looks like that modem only supports up to b/g/n. Not 11.ac

Daniel.Drache
21-06-2014, 09:46 PM
Thanks for the help on the Motherboard

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 09:53 PM
Only thing with the H97 mobos, is the latest BIOS is pretty recent so you can overclock. So you would have to get it flashed before you buy it. If you brought one of the unclocked CPU's, and one of the mobos that you can overclock it on

Daniel.Drache
21-06-2014, 09:59 PM
I honestly have no clue about overclocking, When I bought my last desktop (A P3) overclocking was best avoided, since then I've had a laptop & stayed clear of overclocking
The Asus page mentions the turbo app which auto/simplistically overclocks

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 10:18 PM
Same here. I dont bother with overclocking. Even if you overclock, it can damage the CPU / or hardware and it is a known cause of crashing

Daniel.Drache
21-06-2014, 10:20 PM
Ill avoid over clocking then

dugimodo
21-06-2014, 11:33 PM
If you aren't overclocking (and there's no need) save some cash and get a non-K cpu and use the stock cooler. That's what I did and I'm a gamer. Sure aftermarket coolers are better but the stock intel cooler does the job, is fairly quiet, and comes with the cpu.
Then get the cheaper RAM option and you'll have some extra cash to use on a better GPU (or just save some money). RAM speed has only a tiny effect on performance and is not worth worrying about in my opinion.

I bought an external usb powered DVD-RW drive last build and just use it when I need to install something now so I don't bother installing an optical drive in any of my PC's when I build them any more.
Other than those comments I like your choices, nothing wrong with any of it. Big fan of the OEM seasonic gold drives, great value for money.

Daniel.Drache
22-06-2014, 08:50 AM
I can knock $100 off if I swap to Corsair CMZ8GX3m21866C9 Vengeance 8Gb (2x4Gb)

I'll go with the noctua nh-u9b se2 Heat sink then

I have to pick a DVD drive, there isn't a none option

Speedy Gonzales
22-06-2014, 10:24 AM
If you wanted USB ports etc on the front, and there's a few 5.25 bays on the case, you could get something like this (http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/5-25-Multifunction-2-USB-3-0-Ports-All-In-One-Card-Reader-Esata-HD-Audio-/351097864495?pt=AU_Components&hash=item51bf10412f)

There are others that have USB 2 and 3, and e-sata and a card reader. I was going to get one for the pc I'm building at the mo, but the case has only got 1 5.25 bay. So it's either a DVD (which I dont really need) or one of these.

I can use a flash drive to install windows, and it'll be wireless once I get the rest of the parts (the PSU, ram and some ssd's).

Altho, I would have to remove the door on this case, if I wanted to install one of these multifunction things. Otherwise it may not fit . And if the mobo didnt have the connection, I would get extension cables, so I can plug them into the back (If it's USB 2 or 3).

Daniel.Drache
22-06-2014, 07:24 PM
Any ideas on a Monitor?
I don't think I need ultra great response times as I play Strategy, 4X & some RPGs, I do occasionally play Farcry etc

I thought about ASUS VS239H-J 23" 5MS LED IPS MONITOR $264
http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/components/componentview.asp?partid=21054

The reviews are good, its fairly cheap

Daniel.Drache
23-06-2014, 11:02 PM
Thanks for all the advice, It's made made me a bit more comfortable that I'm getting a computer that not only will do what I want but will actually work
In the end my computer is costing $2622.80

Heres a link to the final choices (Image to large to post)
Although the Hard drive is being upped to a 3TB & the Ram is being changed to Corsair CMZ8GX3M2A1866C9 Vengeance 8GB (2x4GB) DDR3-1866 CL9 (+$10 I assume it must be slightly better)
http://iforce.co.nz/i/vyutflpz.u4x.png

A huge Thanks once again for all the advice & reassurance, It really has helped alot.

P.S
I'm doing a final sleep before I click the buy button tomorrow afternoon, So if someone does notice something bad, let me know :help: