PDA

View Full Version : Modem Router problem..

bazmeister
21-06-2014, 10:02 AM
Yesterday my wifi dropped of several times and the last time it never returned. My modem is a Dynalink RTA1025W.

I changed the channel it was running on but this didn't help and then I noticed that the PPP channel button the front wasn't
working. From this stage it ceased to work completely, i.e. either as a wifi signal or to connect the Desktop. As it won't
"log me on" I am at a loss as to how to re-check its settings by using the 192.168.1.1 code.

At one stage before it dropped out completely there was a code indicating a PPP problem.

I am currently using an old D-Link modem which I fortunately kept, this is working well, obviously not needing the PPP ssystems
as it has no wifi security needs (I think...?)

A second modem router I had in store (identical to above - Dynalink RTA1025W, also won't connect to the website.

Any thoughts before I rush out and buy a replacement of a different brand..?

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 10:17 AM
Is the firmware up to date on it? Looks like its up to 3.64y

bazmeister
21-06-2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks Speedy, have had a look and D/L'd that upgrade.

The problem still remains, i.e. having plugged that modem unit in again I cannot access the internet to proceed with the instructions...it starts off again with the entering of the 192 etc code.

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 11:55 AM
Reset it then reconfigure the settings. It may also need your ISP username / password to get online. So the PPP light/s light up. I know with the modems I've had, I've had to enter my ISP's username / password so it'll get online

bazmeister
21-06-2014, 12:24 PM
Can you elaborate a bit more on that Speedy, i.e. how to I reset it ? I can't enter anything into it if I can't get online...?

Speedy Gonzales
21-06-2014, 12:52 PM
Check this out (http://emulators.netcomm.com.au/RTA1025W_3.63u/managementDiagnostics.htm) its an emulator of that modem on the site

By the looks of it you go to the management tab select reset router to reset it. And if you select quick start thats where you type in your broadband username and password. If you dont know what these are, ring your ISP

You dont have to be online to get into the router. Just as long as youre connected to it either by wireless or NIC/LAN you can log into it

wainuitech
21-06-2014, 02:11 PM
The easy way to reset those is with a pen or something similar. With the router turned on, if you have a look at the back right next to the power button should be a small hole. Stick a pen or something else that will fit in there ( like a straightened paper Clip) and hold it for a few moments ( around 30 seconds), the router will shut down, recycle and reset to factory defaults.

Once its reset you will have to log/connect to it Via ethernet as the wireless wont be working. Once in enter your connection details ( depending on who is your ISP will depend on what they are) and away you go ( assuming the unit is working as it should). Its also better to alter any settings Via a Ethernet connection rather than wireless. Some routers wont allow it, and if you lose the wireless signal ( which you will while its rebooting) you may be locked out again.

bazmeister
21-06-2014, 03:39 PM
Thanks again Speedy, will have a think overnight...might be time to bin it as it has been dropping the signal a lot lately and with
friends and family, the need for decent wireless seems to grow every day. Zour help is appreciated. Cheers..