PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8.1 startup issues

berryb
20-06-2014, 06:26 PM
Laptop upgraded to 8.1 a couple weeks ago. Been slower since and had another couple of updates since. Thought it may have been infected as Avast was not showing as running. Went to download ESET online scanner and couldn't run the install. Laptop now restarted takes 3 times as long as Win 8 should, start to the MS login page OK but no password works. Have changed the password online from another PC but this laptop does not have any network connections available even when hard wired so doesn't go online to verify new password so can't login. So something has killed the networking.

Start laptop and go to advanced settings and all options require to login - even system restore.

I'm about to remove the harddrive, copy user data as a backup and then "Refresh" the hard drive keeping the user files.

Anyone know how to get Win 8 to bypass the MS login screen. I do not think there are any other admin accounts enabled.

Cheers

lakewoodlady
20-06-2014, 06:41 PM
Try this: http://www.cnet.com/au/how-to/how-to-bypass-the-windows-8-log-in-screen/

LL

wainuitech
20-06-2014, 08:29 PM
Had a laptop a few weeks back from someone who did similar, it got stuck on the Microsoft Login screen, had to be connected to internet to work - Think it wanted to play nice ? -- NOPE.

Theres two types of login, either MS online or the local account. Local account is easy to bypass, but on the one I had, the MS internet one was screwed, only way to fix it was to boot the Computer from a repair CD, run system restore back a few days to when the Local account was working, then it could be altered using software to remove the password. ( quick way) The netplwiz wont usually work on the MS internet login.

Just one reason I dont use a MS internet login, only a local account, if at all.

berryb
21-06-2014, 09:33 PM
Thanks. Tried a restore from repair CD and said it restored but still doesn't show any network connections.

No local account active so have a laptop that will not access internet to get the updated password and client that swears the password that had worked OK.

Either hard wired NIC and wireless have a hardware fault or a virus/update screwed things.

Looks like a backup and format job :(

lakewoodlady
21-06-2014, 11:00 PM
Suck.....

LL

wainuitech
22-06-2014, 12:48 PM
There is another way to get into the Laptop, just tried it on a workshop PC and it worked nicely. :)

Read the second option http://www.eightforums.com/tutorials/9650-built-administrator-account-enable-disable-windows-8-a.html You boot from your windows 8 /8.1 dvd. Once you reboot, next to the original account is an arrow, click that and change users to the Admin, In there you can create a new user, ( when you first create it, down the bottom is the option to make a local account) Move the files over to someplace else on the drive, sign out of the Admin account then boot into the new account, copy their files to the new account, then delete the old one Via the Admin Account. You can hide the Admin account if you want, instructions on that site.

Edited: as it says on that site for option 2: "This option is great for when you are unable to sign in to Windows 8." The other options require you to log onto the PC.

wish I had found this the other day, would have saved a LOT of work

berryb
27-06-2014, 01:04 AM
Thanks for that. Will keep that for future use but on this laptop already formatted and back with customer.

I took the hard drive out and slaved to my PC and ESET jumped into life. Started to copy user data and looked away from screen for a couple minutes and then see I lost network connection. Unplugged the laptop drive, restarted to another user account and found NIC disabled. My IP phone also went offline and lost all connections to server. Had to restart everything to get back running. Then plugged laptop drive in again and tried to do a complete scan with ESET and it wouldn't. Just sat on 0%. Got the user data off and reimaged it.

All going well now. Haven't had time to find out what the infection was but it was nasty.